Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:29:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2018 MadWags Memorial Tournament

Started by LAPORTE, May 05, 2018, 08:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAPORTE

Well ?  stories, Lies , truth, half truth

Whom Won ? Big ugly ....
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

21XDC

:o Had a great time, drove 50 miles in the rough. Only caught 12.7lbs...  8)  Had too much pizza.

25+lbs won
20+ second
17+ 3rd I think.

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Revtro

Truth - I am an idiot. LOL   My ADD got the best of me.  We ran to the Mile Roads and couldn't get anything going so after 2 hours we made a run down past 8 Mile only to find colder water and it was ROUGH to say the least.  So stupid me decided, "let's see if anything is happening in Muskamoot".  That was a dumb decision for 2 reasons.  1. It took me 30 minutes to make that run from 9 Mile in really rough water.  Shoulda never made that run.  2. Muskamoot was DEAD.  2 weeks ago there were quite a few fish being caught (mostly roamers) but it really died off and the spawn has not begun there yet.  Why did I try it?  I have no idea. 

So we pulled out of Moot with 2 hours to go and headed to Anchor Bay just to get out of the wind.  By this point, I had enough of the rough stuff and just wanted some calm water so we could relax a bit.  Pulled into Anchor Bay and saw a few boats netting fish, but we had one on and it got off.  We never got bit again for the next hour and half.  Why?  Because we didn't' get shallow enough.  Apparently that's where the real action was.  I did see a lot of boats up shallow but I wasn't in the mood to just go fishing around the flotilla because that never seems to pan out. 

In hindsight, every decision I made today was DEAD WRONG.  I should have just got out of the wind in Anchor Bay and I'm sure we'd have had a decent limit.  Instead, I ran too much, spent too much gas, got beat up, and ended the day with one lousy fish.  It's funny because first thing in the morning I told my partner that I've had 2 pretty good years fishing this tourney so I felt was my turn to come in last for a change.  I guess that was a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.  DOH! 

It just goes to show you that 30 years on this lake doesn't amount to squat.  There is always more to learn and I proved that to myself today.  Dat be da truth.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

You had some company Rev! I sure didn't fish very good today but at least I feel good about watching FrickerDude whack a few fatties when we finally found the right stretch. Yes, wish we would have found it 2 or 3 hours earlier...

Here's my short summary I posted on Facebook a few minutes ago also:
Despite a 'stiffer' wind than expected today on St. Clair (I've always said you should add the 2 numbers together rather than even going by the highest number!) we had a perfect turnout today for the MadWags Memorial on Lake St. Clair. Everyone made it. Everyone made it back in. Everyone turned in a DRY weigh in sheet and most everyone caught some fish! Everyone stayed for pizza too. I left feeling pretty good about the day though I personally fished terrible landing I think only 2 small keepers (or was it one?!? Yikes!!). I do feel like I 'put FrickerDude on them' as he culled all our little ones and ended up putting us single-handedly in 4th place with over 18 pounds off an old waypoint from my ancient days.

Still, took 25+ to win for Jay-MadWags and tdrouillard. They whacked and stacked them again up north. 2nd place was just over 20 for another perennial Mike Goetsch (actually markgoetsch and Mike S. my helper just combined the names apparently). Not sure where they fished but supposedly not his usual places. Most anglers were along the Mile Roads (where we fished all day). I believe 3rd was just under 19 but forget at the moment who it was. (I apologize but I'm too tired now to go find the sheets...)

Other then the wind and rougher water than we'd like it was a nice day. Yes, the muddy water is piled up right now just south of Metro Beach but that'll change as soon as the wind starts blowing a different direction. Visibility wasn't awesome anywhere we went from ~14 Mile down to '10.5 Mile' but I could see dark patches in some places from 5 foot of water out even as deep as 11+ in a couple places.

I thought I'd try to get results posted tonight but unfortunately I had my first bought of low blood sugar in a long time. I ate all day but my medication was changed recently so I'm guessing that's the problem. Forgot what it was like since I've been spoiled for awhile. Luckily, it didn't happen until after I got home but I sat there getting sicker and sicker until my wife (who is smarter than me about some things apparently) made me drink some OJ, and then I had half a sandwich. That did the trick after a little wait.

I may post the results later tomorrow but I know we have a family something (early Mother's Day??) out of town and then I'm going spring fishing for a few days again so maybe I won't post until later in the week. We shall see, but regardless I GREATLY appreciate the guys, gals and couple youngsters we had fish today and I hope everyone caught something and enjoyed the day as much as I did! THANK YOU!! If I'm lucky, I may make it back out on the big lake one more time this coming week. Or not. We'll see.

Probably later in the week as I think about it because I see I also have some work to do tomorrow, and I hope to be on the infamous Lake Menderchuck Monday if plans hold. That lakes owes me some bass!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Okay... thanks to a Facebook post t-bone reminded me he guided Laura and Jacobb to 3rd place with 18-12!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

we ran to the Mile Roads in the 0-2 foot waves and Light winds.  Right.   Had a bumpy ride over.  Hit all my waypoints from just north of 9 mile to memorial park.  I caught 2 on a crankbait.   Mark aka Detroit1 caught a 4 pounder so that cheered us up.  Decided to hit the canals up by Metro.  The ride over was ok except the last mile when I had to go with the waves to get lined up.  Everything was ok until we went up one and I could not see the bottom of the wave.  Speared it pretty good.  We went into the canals to dry out.  Caught 2 nice largemouth and lost a couple good ones. The water is the highest I have ever seen in the canals.   Came back out and headed over to Selfrige for the last hour.   Caught a 3 on the first cast then a 3.14.  Figure we found them but other that Mark losing a Big Smallmouth that was it.   We ended up with 16 pounds.  Congratulations to the winners.  Always great to see everyone. 

Thanks Dan for putting this on. 

Guess we missed the calm weather by a day.   Looking at my lake this morning and there isn't a ripple. 

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: 21XDC on May 05, 2018, 09:45:36 PM
:o Had a great time, drove 50 miles in the rough. Only caught 12.7lbs...  8)  Had too much pizza.

25+lbs won
20+ second
17+ 3rd I think.

Wowza, how's you butt and your back ???  LOLOL

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: Revtro on May 05, 2018, 11:30:29 PM
Truth - I am an idiot. LOL   My ADD got the best of me.  We ran to the Mile Roads and couldn't get anything going so after 2 hours we made a run down past 8 Mile only to find colder water and it was ROUGH to say the least.  So stupid me decided, "let's see if anything is happening in Muskamoot".  That was a dumb decision for 2 reasons.  1. It took me 30 minutes to make that run from 9 Mile in really rough water.  Shoulda never made that run.  2. Muskamoot was DEAD.  2 weeks ago there were quite a few fish being caught (mostly roamers) but it really died off and the spawn has not begun there yet.  Why did I try it?  I have no idea. 

So we pulled out of Moot with 2 hours to go and headed to Anchor Bay just to get out of the wind.  By this point, I had enough of the rough stuff and just wanted some calm water so we could relax a bit.  Pulled into Anchor Bay and saw a few boats netting fish, but we had one on and it got off.  We never got bit again for the next hour and half.  Why?  Because we didn't' get shallow enough.  Apparently that's where the real action was.  I did see a lot of boats up shallow but I wasn't in the mood to just go fishing around the flotilla because that never seems to pan out. 

In hindsight, every decision I made today was DEAD WRONG.  I should have just got out of the wind in Anchor Bay and I'm sure we'd have had a decent limit.  Instead, I ran too much, spent too much gas, got beat up, and ended the day with one lousy fish.  It's funny because first thing in the morning I told my partner that I've had 2 pretty good years fishing this tourney so I felt was my turn to come in last for a change.  I guess that was a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.  DOH! 

It just goes to show you that 30 years on this lake doesn't amount to squat.  There is always more to learn and I proved that to myself today.  Dat be da truth.

Ahhhh don't be so hard on yourself Tom !!!  It's easy to second guess.  That's part of the reason I rarely ever fish a tourney.  Now this one is different since it's low dollar and for bragging rights, but it's similar.  You put pressure on yourself etc and it's not as much fun..  Sure I'm competitive and that part of  it is cool.  Another thing.  If the weather is bad I don't have to go fun fishing.  LOL

detroit1

I would like to thank Dan and all the participants for another great time. This event and Bob O's lure swap are my 2 favorite things of each fishing season. Thank you Steve (dartag) for allowing me to be in your boat, I learned some things and wished I could've landed that biggun!  Great idea giving some pizza to some shore anglers. That WAS a lot of pizza. Hope to see you all next year....mark
WAVE THERAPY

Mojo

I second your thoughts there. DK spring and Bob Osens swap meet are Michigan charms of the bass fishing season.

Well, Jack and warmed up the week before with about 30 solid fish whose actual weight was 21+ so we felt confident in our Alt Moot plan.  Our first spot was occupied by some fine fellas from WV.  It's usually good for 3-10 fish but I think they were caught so. We took a few there on blades jerks and then my crank popped a 9 lbr on a crankbait !!!          Undersized Muskie that is! Good guys shared with us so we took em with us to the Delphine. Nothin. "Thanks locals" they probably said. So down to the flats near the Detroit River. Boom. 2 more once we got the boater positioned to use the current with tubes and DS.  Fun !  Moving shallow now we were in 52 degrees and went to work with cranks and jerkbait. caught some chunky fat footballs. That weighed actually 4 lb but the board said 2.1 !! Argh. 8 fish later and we still can't get the paper to read more than 16 lb. so it's time to pay the piper and head back up in the rough.

Jack and I chose to stay in 8-9 fow in 55 degrees and hit rock piles at 10 12 and 14 Mile. Each time we chose to get in the front of the floatillas. Each time Jack would near immediately jack a smally on a jerkbait. I had cooled off but hey that's teams. Funny cause no one else was catching. drew a boat or 2 to come fish ourbent rod pattern. Lol. So when it was done we felt good. Bodies not beat up but the paper just didn't capture our day.

No matter because this group, our stories, our comradre has become something special. Do you guys know that ?  :D I hope you guys and gals know this a really good thing we have, and I'd like to thank EVERYONE of y'all for being part of it.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

LAPORTE

So do you guys think its still early ? It kinda sounds like it.. Maybe that guy that lives on Union lake will turn me on to some bed fishing for the wife ...lol

mikesmiph

Seems to be just a little early Don. I think they're just about ready. Now it looks like it cools down again for a few days. I bet the fish are just as confused as we are. I'm going to predict bed fishing in middle Michigan in the next 2 weeks should heat up. We'll see if my guess is right. I'll  be at Burt and Mullet for 9 days starting on the 26th. I bet I'm going to still be fishing a winter pattern up there.

t-bone

We came in third with 18-12. We fished in 8 ft of water most the day with heavy tubes to feel the bottom as we were being blown around. Stayed out by the blue wall in the mile roads. Caught a fish an hour in the morning. Jacob and Laura caught our first 5 keepers that put us around 14 pounds. I finally contributed in the afternoon with a couple fish that culled and Laura did too. I think we culled about 4. I caught our biggest that was 19.5 inches for 4.4lbs. We ended up with 2 over 4 and 3 that were in the 3lbs. The bite picked up in the afternoon but it was pretty slow all day. I was really happy that Jacob was catching them and catching them really good, that was my main goal. This was his first time fishing St. Clair for bass and he was super excited to be out there. He was so excited to place in the tournament - we gave him the money. The kid stayed positive all day and we laughed and joked around. High fives and photos. It was a great day because of that. I've got another young relative (Josh) who can't wait to be old enough to fish tournaments, a couple more years and he'll be with us in the boat.

Thanks to Dan for putting the tournament on and it was great to talk/laugh with everyone. Mojo, thanks for the mini travel trailer. You guys are the best!

At least I beat Charlie!
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

LAPORTE

Quote from: mikesmiph on May 07, 2018, 07:20:59 AM
Seems to be just a little early Don. I think they're just about ready. Now it looks like it cools down again for a few days. I bet the fish are just as confused as we are. I'm going to predict bed fishing in middle Michigan in the next 2 weeks should heat up. We'll see if my guess is right. I'll  be at Burt and Mullet for 9 days starting on the 26th. I bet I'm going to still be fishing a winter pattern up there.

Ill be up in northern Mi starting on the 30th of May If I ever get over this cold I have

djkimmel

I guess I fished too much this week leaving me not enough time to get everything done. I think some pictures were shared with me on Facebook courtesy of Laura (t-bone). I just have to find them again and format the actual results to post.

Also need to add my results on the Michigan Fishing Tournament Information System. Glad I remembered at the last minute to add the event.

Jay-MadWags

I'm sorry it has been over a week since I posted my story about winning the MadWags. I fished my friend Tim who is an avid walleye angler and knows the Detroit River very well.  I like many of the anglers who fished the MadWags this year did not prefish due to the conditions leading up to the tournament. Many of you know that Clair can be very unpredictable in May. I decided not to run to the Mile Roads like most of the other competitors. I did not want to beat my boat up along with Tim and I making that run around Huron Pointe. So I decided to fish Anchor Bay. I just had a feeling about Anchor Bay and I knew if I forced myself to "Turn Left" I would find them sooner or later. The decision paid off. I found 2 schools of fish fishing a 300 yard stretch with crankbaits. Tim and I probably caught close to 40 or 50 fish. I lost track we were having so much fun. On two different occasions we sat in one spot for a half hour and caught fish after fish after. My big fish was 5.12 on the golden rule. An absolute TRON! Tim and I had GoPro videos of the action that we posted on Facebook.

I never fished this area of Anchor Bay with Dave MadWags  Wagensomer. My good friend Vince fished it with me years ago when it was on fire.   I just had a gut feeling glad I followed it. I'm so very honored to be able to win one of these MadWags Memorial Tournaments. Thank you Tim for sharing the day on the water with me. Thank Dan for putting on this tournament in Dave's name. It means a lot to me. It was an emotional drive back to my house from Harley Ensign and I will never forget it. Dave I know you were there with me in spirit.
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

Jay-MadWags

Here are some smallmouth from our day on the water.
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

Tritonbasser

Great pics, congrats again guys.It was a great time fishing with all you guys and gals.I'm already looking forward to next year.l never meet Dave but , what a great way to honor such a great guy.Thanks again Dan for a great event!
08 Triton 20XHP  250 Optimax pro XS

djkimmel

Always glad to have all of you participate, and honor someone I genuinely liked very much. I think about Dave often. I'm sure fortunate to have fished with Dave that last time on Anchor Bay. We had a great time!

cameraguy

I wish I could fish one of these once in awhile. Work comes first, for now.
I did want to re-post one of the pix from above after less than 1 minute of editing on an iPhone within the Photos app. Not trying to demean. Just trying to show that it's easy to get better photos in a very short amount of time.