Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:59:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Looks like the Michigan DNR has entered the modern age of websites

Started by djkimmel, March 08, 2018, 12:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Don't know when they 'flipped the switch' but today I found the Michigan DNR website to be complete new. Appears to finally be their attempt to be mobile-friendly. Looks like they are also using a lazyload method for the new pages on mobile devices, and mega menus.

It looks better than it did before, but I'm finding the old links to real pages no longer work, which will be a big pain for the zillions of websites that have shared links to specific pages... including me?? It appears they have changed all of the old links to new links. I'm not finding any redirects in place either to take an 'old' link and forward it to the 'new' link for the 'same' page?? I would hope they will eventually have this in place or a ton of old links will not just end up on the MDNR home page at www.michigan.gov/dnr - yuck! I sure hope their search engine works a lot better than the old one did?? People will have to use it to find all of the old pages at their new links now...

What is most odd to me - I've always felt they have the strangest URL's in the world possibly with all the commas, numbers, dashes (even multiple dashes in a row) and underscores. I'm not sure I can think of any other website I've ever been to that uses commas in a URL?!?

I would hope and assume that they at least made sure all of their existing shortcuts still work? I tried a few like the one to the information about the MFTIS (www.michigan.gov/fishingtournaments) and they worked. But losing all those old links to specific pages is a pain in the butt! Maybe they'll fix that eventually as I said...?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

Wow that does look different.   I see there are over 1300 bass tournaments scheduled so far.   

djkimmel

For some reason I thought we were already way past that number? Might be mixing up my years again...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I did hear back from the Fisheries Division 'website' person. She confirms what I already know - most or all links have changed. She has offered to provide me shortcut links for pages I routinely send people to but I'm imaging many pages are too far 'into' the website to have a shortcut link. Told her I give making a list a try in a couple weeks (after the Bassmaster Classic).

Wish they had thought of redirection links and had created a way to do that... changing all your links really messes up important things like backlinks, link credits and SEARCH ENGINES!! I would expect without redirects that they take a huge hit from Google for having so many 'broken' search engine links!?! Every search engine result I tried right now related to Fisheries all ends up at the MDNR home page... maybe I should offer some SEO services to them?? ;D