Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:55:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Hydraulic Jackplate

Started by Hollada, December 06, 2017, 07:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollada

Rather than hijack another thread, I created a new one.

I am curious why some think a hydraulic jackplate is a must have.  Is it mainly for getting on plane in shallow water and for getting a better bite in rough water?
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

WishingIwasfishing

Quote from: Hollada on December 06, 2017, 07:47:02 PM
Rather than hijack another thread, I created a new one.

I am curious why some think a hydraulic jackplate is a must have.  Is it mainly for getting on plane in shallow water and for getting a better bite in rough water?

For me its mostly the rough water ride. I've had a few boats with out them. My last boat was my 1st with one and its a world of difference in rough water handling. I won't own another boat with out one.

dartag

Like you said you can drop it to take off in rough water with it all the way down then bring it up to run.  More of a down south thing where you are running a long way on smooth water.  You can pick up a couple miles an hour due to less resistance in the water.  It does affect boat handling. 

You may not have noticed but I had mine way up when we were going into the hot ponds due to the shallow water.   You have to watch to make sure you have water pressure as you can come up high enough to get the intake out of the water.

fishstick

It saves a lot of long idles in shallow water for me so I waste a lot less time in tournaments. I don't need much water to pop up on plane anymore.  Improved handling and rough water ride are major benefits too. It is definitely nice to adjust motor height to conditions with the pull of a lever.

dartag

Would like to see the statistics of guys that actually use the jackplate for performance reason.   Kind of like Side Imaging and Power Poles.  Fished a whole season in a boat with poles.  Only time we used it was at the boat launch.

I know guys with 3-- Huge Depth Finders that are dock fishermen.  And darn good ones at that.

t-bone

Steve is right. I have hydraulic jack plate and I rarely use it. Mainly I use them to get the right engine height and then I keep it there. Occasionally remember to raise them in shallow water - not very often.

I do use my power poles and large screens much more frequently and get more value out of these.

Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Hollada

Terry,

Do you think if you had an ultrex (assuming you don't) that you'd use your poles a lot less?
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

1BADAIR

I use mine alot. Buddy doesnt have to get on bow to get on plane when shallow. Also use it when st clair gets rough. Lower it to keep prop submerged.
Poles and Ultrex both have uses.  Try bed fishing in the wind/current with an Ultrex

t-bone

Don't know since I don't have them but the poles are great for bed fishing and I assume Ultrex would be just as good and even in better in deeper water...

Quote from: Hollada on December 07, 2017, 01:50:24 PM
Terry,

Do you think if you had an ultrex (assuming you don't) that you'd use your poles a lot less?
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

dartag

Having been in Dan's boat with the Ultrex and another boat with the Motorguide version the one thing that has to be accounted for is wind direction.  The boat will " Weathervane " when the spot lock is engaged.  I do see the Poles working better in that situation.   The Ultrex was nice fishing river current.

Being an Old Pensioner I can't justify the cost of either.  I will just have to keep my old Maxx running. 

1BADAIR

Steve you need power poles like Baker's.  U-bolt and some PVC pipe

dartag

Quote from: 1BADAIR on December 08, 2017, 11:29:29 PM
Steve you need power poles like Baker's.  U-bolt and some PVC pipe

I made one about a week after I say Jim's.  It did come in handy when I did my Bed Fish Video. 

MSURoss

I have talons, ultrex and a hydraulic  jackplate. If I could chose one it would be the ultrex.... that being said I would never have another boat without a jackplate. Hole shot is significantly better and gives you piece of mind running in shallow water. Rough water and better fuel economy are another two huge benefits.

TheFishinPollock

Adding a JP to my boat changed everything about it. Faster on plane, better rough water ride, picked up 7 mph. I use it constantly depending on water conditions. I use it idling in rivers to so i can keep the boat flatter with it all the way up instead of using the tilt and forcing the ass end of the boat down into the water.
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

djkimmel

I really liked my hydraulic jackplate when I had it on my boat! For pretty much all of the reasons stated above. Back then, I fished the Great Lakes and other big lakes so much that I used it a ton. Back before the water went up, I like using it to jump on plane in shallow water on Saginaw Bay too.

The only thing was that my boat being the 1993 Ranger 492VS it already has that really long stern extension so my jackplate actually slowed my boat down. Something the nice people at Ranger told me would be the case. It was 4 mph faster without the jackplate so when I quit fishing bass tournaments I sold it to some nice guy in Canada. Hope he like it.

So the key to a hydraulic jackplate, if you decide to get one, is to talk to someone real knowledgeable about your boat hull so you pick the correct one - usually meaning the best offset for your boat.

Some of the jackplate companies make all those different sizes from maybe 4" to 10" because one size does not fit all. If you fish a lot of big water and you can swing it, the right hydraulic jackplate is nice during the times you can use some nice!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.