Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:38:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Yank your Crank

Started by Savage, February 18, 2006, 11:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savage

So what crankbaits are you guys (and gals :-*) partial to?  I like a couple different ones, but right now I'm using the fat free shad lineup.  I like having multiple depths of the same color pattern lure.  Most companies do this, but these are marked clearly on the box when you buy them and are easy to remember.  I know some guys really like the Rapala DT series, what are you going to throw this year?

I hear there is a good early spring pattern that involves bouncing a crankbait along rip-rap.  I have to try that, as I usually don't get crankin' until late summer and fall.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

kgr624

I personally like the yo-zuri crankbaits. I also have a lot of rapala fat rap and don't mind working those. I have found in early spring that working a crank just above weed beds in 4-6 ft of water work the best for me with a slow retrieval.
Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same

MBell

I throw a lot of different crankbaits, not really partial to one brand or the other.  There are a lot of good baits out there.  I like bandits for some reason, don't know why kind of just got used to them.  When you find a good one they can be great but you usually have to buy about 10 baits to get a really good one.   
-Matt

Savage

I know what you mean about those bandits, I used to use them a ton.  I like how they have every depth zone covered, and they had a really simple classification system.  100, 200, 300 etc. for the different diving depths.  The think I didn't like is their relatively small profile.  I have one that really nails 'em, it's yellow with brown stripes.  Can't remember the exact pattern name, spring craw?  I bought another one and it doesn't work nearly as well.  When you get a good one, it's worth keeping around!  I have not tried their new flat series yet...
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

djkimmel

I've caught a ton of fish on Fat Free Shads. They work most of the time. I still use Bomber Model A's a ton too. I've probably won more money on them than anything else. I try a few other cranks such as Big O's and will still throw a Big N now and then. I only have 3 of those left thanks to all those darn muskies at Lake Ovid now. I've really only got my butt kicked 3 or 4 times by other brands and only once by an expensive one - a Lucky Craft on Lake Hamilton.

My crankbait boxes are stuffed full and I'm not sure I want to buy any more boxes - I get teased enough already, so I'm not sure I'll be getting into another line of baits other than a few I try out.

My favorite killer spring secret is Shallow A's burned over shallow new weed growth. I've had days where I slammed bass by the dozens that way. I start out with red craw with a red treble and that usually whacks 'em good. The instant that bite slows I switch to parrot (blue/chartreuse), or chrome or a shad color because when the red bite dies, it's dead. I usually can go right back over the same stretch with the new color and pop some more.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Roy Randolph

I have way to many crank baits

#1 Strike King Pro Series
#2 Fat Free Shads
#3 Lucky Craft
Help a handicapped angler live his dream!

yukonjack2

I would say badit 200 and 300 series - I like how they bacl u p a bit when you pause them

deep  -suspending fat free shad and norman dt 22's

dt 10's thrown in for fun.

I gotta try a Carolina chip mid-range crank painted in my favorite bandit color pattern for ky- lk in May!
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

Revtro

Too many varieties to pick just one.  I am partial though to the Bandits.  They seem to run better than the Mann's cranks.  I can burn them faster without them rolling over as easily as the Mann's. 

I also use the DT series a bit and the Strike King Pro's.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

blakstr1

i starting using the Rapala DT's because heck there easy to remember, Dive To - ??  but recently Savage has turned me on to the Bombers so I'm going that way for this year...I also picked up a new Lucky Craft too, so I guess it will between the 2 for me this year.

I still have my favorite DT's that I won't give up either....
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Hooksetter

Lucky Craft Moonsaults were my best producers last year, followed by the Rapala DTs.

I also throw Bandits and Bombers. I like them also.
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

dhuff

There are alot of good crankbaits out on the market these days.  All of them have a time and a place and will catch fish if you fish them with confidence.  I am partial to the bandits and the fat free shads.  However,  you do have to buy a lot of baits to get the ones that run the best and have the best action.  I have a few plano 3600 boxes in my basement that are packed with cranks that have been taken out of my boxes the last few years because they don't run quite right.  Most of them used once or twice still brand new looking.  When you find a good bait you guard them with your life.

Savage

Send me all those "bad" ones, I'll sell'em on EBay!  But seriously though, if you want to sell them to me, I'll turn 'em around on EBay really quick.  (Or you can do it if you have an account, I guess ::))  I sold my old ones off to make room for the new stuff.  Not a huge profit by any means of course, but it gave me a few bucks to go buy some more that I really liked.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Cheetam

I've always had a love for Mann's Minus 1 when fishing shallow, which I do a lot of.  Rapala's are always good regardless of how deep or shallow I'm fishing.  I've used Bandits quite a bit (Footloose, 100s, 200s and 300s) and like them too.  But probably my favorite to throw the past couple of seasons is a 1/2 ounce Rattle Trap...there's nothing quite like ripping them suckers through the weeds...
Jeff

blakstr1

I was watching In-Fisherman last year they were testing a new Rapala proto-type DT2 (I think it was a 2), did these ever make it to production?  it looked great at the time of filming there were only 2 of the lures in existance...the Rapala guy wouldn't let Doug Stange use it ;D
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Cheetam

Quote from: blakstr1 on February 20, 2006, 09:04:29 AM
I was watching In-Fisherman last year they were testing a new Rapala proto-type DT2 (I think it was a 2), did these ever make it to production?? it looked great at the time of filming there were only 2 of the lures in existance...the Rapala guy wouldn't let Doug Stange use it ;D

If it were in production, I would have a few of em...which I don't.  I would love to see one though (Rapala...if you're reading this...please, please, please make me a few DT2s...I promise I won't tell anyone about it ;D)
Jeff

Dropshot

Rapala ShadRaps and Bombers have worked the best for me. I've caught some monster smallies on the ShadRaps but also have lost some good fish because the bill pulls out from the body of the bait.
Joe