Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:44:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Long Lake near Alpena

Started by GlennD, October 07, 2017, 09:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlennD

I'll be heading up to Long Lake this coming week for the first time. I've read and watched some pretty good things on this lake for smallies so I thought I'd take the opportunity with the wife being gone to get up there. If anyone can help me with a few starters that would be very appreciated. I've read where it's not a gin clear like a bathtub clear lake but a green tinge color. The temps next week up there at night should have the water temps dropping. Not sure if it's true fall fishing yet or not. I'll report any luck back to everyone. Help me if you can  ;)
2015 Ranger 620
Yamaha 250 & T9.9 Four Strokes
Lowrance Electronics
Minnkota Terrova 112

21XDC

Be careful running around. There are many rock humps that you can tear up your boat/motor. I have never seen it green, But I have seen it chalky from the phosphate/limestone bottom.

Use Bing/Google images aerial and birds eye to see the rocky humps.... Fish them.  :)  Tubes are tough to beat on this lake. You will loose many of them in the rock crevices.

Have fun.
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

LennyB

I've been to Long a few times in the Fall and have always done well with soft plastics like grubs and tubes, especially when the bite was off. One year however, we hit it just right and they were feeding like crazy. Best bait that trip was a Pop-R up shallow.

Have fun ~ Lenny B.

GlennD

Thanks guys and I definitely see on google earth what your talking about as far as the areas of rock !! Does the NW end tend to be better than the SE end ? Lots of nice looking points too I'll have to check out.
2015 Ranger 620
Lowrance Electronics
Minnkota Terrova 112

LennyB

I spent most of my time in the North end but KVD smashed them in the MLF tournament there a couple years ago from one end of the lake to the other burning a Spinner Bait. Everyone else tinkered around with Drop Shots and Tube Baits because that's what your "supposed to do". He literally doubled everyone elses catch by power fishing. I would fish the conditions at that time and just have fun. I would try fast baits first and let the fish tell you if you need to slow down. Use the techniques that work for you. There's a strong population of 2 to 3 pounders and they are all around the lake as KVD demonstrated.

GlennD

Thanks Lenny and 21 I'll post how I do !!
2015 Ranger 620
Lowrance Electronics
Minnkota Terrova 112

t-bone

I've always done best on the north end. Tubes and spinnerbaits are usually good.
Personally, I think Grand lake is better. Lots of islands to fish.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

djkimmel

I liked those NW rock bars in the fall too. Always like burning painted spinnerbaits in the fall for smallmouth bass when they let me get away with it. Though sometimes I have to use a more natural looking spinnerbait if it is really clear and calm. I always start with the painted ones first though until the fish tell me they're having none of it...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

GlennD

What's your best colors for your painted spinnerbaits ? Do you run both blades same color ?
2015 Ranger 620
Lowrance Electronics
Minnkota Terrova 112

capt charlie's charters

on the west shore there is a small dnr ramp thats excellent to use, also just out front of the ramp is one a good size rock pile just under the surface marked with a couple of big white plastic jugs, be sure to make note of that.  also heading south you have some sunken bars that'll ruin your day.

Frank-o

Down at the southwestern end there is a giant boulder about the size of a small VW....fish it if you can find it.

djkimmel

Quote from: GlennD on October 11, 2017, 04:48:14 PM
What's your best colors for your painted spinnerbaits ? Do you run both blades same color ?

I usually like all chartreuse (skirt and blades) the best because it can be so good during the spawn too, but I switch between that and all white to see if they seem to like one a lot better than the other. For the days when I can't make up my mind (maybe they can't make up their minds??) I just use chartreuse and white combination.

So I have all three on hand usually as long as I haven't run out from breaking them or losing them some other way. I have a few with silver or gold blades too just in case I can't seem to figure out what the bass want though if they follow or don't even hit the painted lures I will go to a more natural or subtle spinnerbait, or something else altogether.

Interestingly, from color studies done on bass that I have read in the past bass don't actually see the color chartreuse as chartreuse but as a brighter white.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: Frank-o on October 12, 2017, 12:01:39 PM
Down at the southwestern end there is a giant boulder about the size of a small VW....fish it if you can find it.

I don't recall seeing that myself, though it has been quite a while since I was up there last.

GlennD

Guys I didn't make the planned trip to Long Lake last week. I just thought the winds were not going to make for a very nice trip since it's 7 plus hrs for me to get there. I'm still planning on going up this fall if I can get 3 days of manageable winds I sure hope that happens really wanted to fish that lake. If I can't get up there I'll try St Clair since it's 3 hrs closer for me. Today water was 58 degrees on the south end of Lake Michigan but never had a tap or even sighting of a smallmouth. Glenn
2015 Ranger 620
Lowrance Electronics
Minnkota Terrova 112

djkimmel

I've heard it gets really tough in the south end of Lake Michigan at this time of year suddenly. Some people still find them but many struggle. They're there somewhere though, right?

LennyB

Don't want to discourage you from the Alpena Area Lakes or Northern Michigan for that matter but keep in mind the mass advertising that's been going on with MLF, and Mark Zona with KVD up there. Fishing pressure is a lot more than it used to be in that area from out of towners. If I were that far away, I would look to Northern Minnesota or even just across the border into SW Ontario. There's a lot more quality lakes to choose from that are full of quality smallmouth fishing that few people in those areas fish for. Northern Michigan and LSC have been bombarded with all the TV shows and websites drawing attention to them. Just my opinion on where to go for a good fishing trip that is that far away. Who wants to go to a lake that dozens of anglers are going to, all of which are looking at the same satellite views of the same rock piles.