Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Chupacabras and other beasts at Round Lake 8-5-17

Started by djkimmel, September 04, 2017, 10:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Not 100% sure... but I think I just heard a chupacabra!?!

I made the mistake of not being able to sleep so I was up extra early and just headed to the lake even though I never seem to get really good bites very early. I had just launched and was going to head out into the always spooky pitch black mystery around Round Lake when I heard a primal scream?!? What the...??

Never heard such a scream before... I imagine the boys from cable land would have called it a 'squatch' maybe... I had recently started to hear lots of coyotes in the morning around round so maybe they caught something?

Been an odd, breezy, chilly morning. Missed a good horny toad bite in the pads by the ramp in the dark (dogfish... or bass??). Had 2 small bass attack my black Jitterbug. Lots of minnows and small panfish on the surface though more scattered. Less bass busting them but enough I should have a lot more than 2 bass (the pike are biting, of course). Caught this small keeper on a wacky rig tossed to some anxious gills early.

I do have this going for me! Caught it on the 'pike killer' (green gizzard shad KVD 2.5) I picked up after realizing I was slowing down too fast, too early again. Inhaled it! Out deeper near another school of gills. Saw a number of really nice bass busting around the boat, but despite throwing the kitchen sink at them I got bumkiss!

Been the pike show again since then but I'm rearming and back after them!

That square bill was almost swallowed by my big bass! Ripped it through some milfoil tops and it was on! It's why I keep throwing the 'pike killer' despite the pike constantly wanting to steal it away from me!! I usually throw it on 20 lbs. test P-Line Halo for bite off limitation and a better ability to rip it through weeds!

He ain't heavy... he's my largemouth... Same place and bait I caught 1 over 4 the other day. Ripping the KVD 2.5 squarebill 'pike killer' on 20 pounds test Fluorocarbon through the milfoil and other weeds that are left. Thought it might happen again but as they say, lightning never strikes the same place twice...

Color me embarrassed! Went froggin' for a while to get out of the wind and take a jet ski/boat break. Went a dismal 2 for 10... In my defense this was the 2nd biggest... Most were dinks. Going to topwater myself in for the evening though this is the slowest, toughest day I've had this year on Round. Post-frontal, I guess.

Not much happened the rest of my fishing day. But later, when I was changing to get some shut eye for the night, I saw I had a nice 3 or so inch wide welt on my tummy/side! A round spot bigger than a quarter and a streak off towards the back. The next day or two I actually developed a larger bruise about half the size of a dollar bill. I guess I'm out of froggin' / slop shape...?!?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Actually, I did have 2 really, really nice bass crash my triple-wing buzzbait late in the evening as I was working my way in... I was embarrassed to mention that I missed them both somehow!!! Even got my skirt pulled down by one of them still without hooking up! I've got to get my reaction and timing down this year... been a disturbing year for lost and missed fish.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.