Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:38:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Round Round Round I go 7-30-17

Started by djkimmel, September 04, 2017, 09:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

So... I lied about fishing today (I had said I wasn't going - this was Sunday, July 30th 2017). My rule is to normally avoid weekend fishing like the plague!! The past couple hours are reminding me why bigtime...

Looked at the weather and schedule realizing to get in 2 days this coming week I better go today... So here I am on Round again. 1st one here well before dawn.

Missed 3 really nice bass before whacking this decent 4th buzzbait strike! Caught this nice largemouth about 6:12am on an ancient Boogerman guady chartreuse firetiger clanking buzzbait I thought might wake up the bass better. For a few weeks it did seem to produce well before they seemed to grow weary of it, though I'm constantly changing buzzbaits to see what happens.

Still having problems with my buzzbait connections so I switched to the wacky rig for a while to toss at nervous minnows. Got some dinks and this keeper. This was about 7am. I've also been struggling with landing better bass on the wacky rig this year though I seem to be finally working that out by landing most of the bass that hit it now...

Things slow waaaaaaaayyy down for me after that and I go for almost 4 hours without a quality bite... fishing hard and all the best structures and spots are not producing hardly even a bite. I head to the hump even though it has basically sucked this year so far and wasn't much better most of last year.

COWABUNGA!!! I'm tossing the 'pike killer' (Strike King KVD 2.5 squarebill in green gizzard shad) ripping it through the tops of what milfoil and other weeds are left down the lake side slop of the hump when, popping it off some weeds, this big ole pig hammers it!! WHAMMO!!! Fights like it has mad cow disease even getting the attention of some nearby anglers who ask me what the heck I have on, even when I land it - 'was that a bass?!?' they ask me!!

So I think I'm on to something after this bass but only manage a small bass and another missed strike even though I literally sieve these weeds from the shallow edge out to about 11-12 feet fishing every square foot! Where's the bass?!?

Despite lots of surface activity I think I slowed down too fast too early... The bites were surprisingly tough. But I put down my Power Worm to toss the 'pike killer' over a sloping weedy point and got jerked hard by this mini-pig. Worked the area hard for a dink and something else that pulled real hard but still got off my Texas-rig somehow!?!

Like another 3 hours go by without much of anything happening...

So now I'm finishing my sandwich by old hot spot #2 while watching Josh and Christy get married... I think I'll get back to fishing! (It wasn't me who motored by yelling, 'don't do it! It's not too late!')

And that was my day. Not very earth-shattering but it was fishing and maybe I learned a few more things. I'll be back...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.