Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:11:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Fiberglass Filler and Sealant

Started by Cy, April 13, 2008, 10:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cy

Hey,

I am going to start mounting my new sonar unit this week.  I don't know exactly how I am going to mount everything yet but I am pretty sure I am going to have to fill some screw holes from the old one.  What do you guys recommend to file holes in the glass?

I am also going to have to put on a transom mount transducer.  What is a good marine grade sealant to use for that?

Thanks,

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

thedude

depending on how big the holes are, get some 5minute epoxy mix up a good bit and let it set for 4.5 minutes... it will get pretty tacky and you should be able to pack it into the screw holes... use an old cloth with acetone or rubbing alcohol on it and you can wipe it smooth w/ fiberglass. If they are bigger holes, get some chopped fiberglass and mix it with epoxy to make a reinforced putty. www.uscomposites.com has everything you need for that... but i bet the 5 minutes stuff should work

i just use regular silcone to seal up my transom transducers.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

Hey Cy, come see me at West Marine in GR on Wed. afternoon... I'll set you up with everything you need to fill those holes.

I don't like regular silicone for anything below the waterline.  It will eventually fail you and let your transom get wet.  I prefer something like 3M 4200 or 5200... much more permanent and much better sealant against ANY water getting into your transom.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

MadWags

I use the 3M 5200. It is expensive but it is certainly the best product on the market.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

thedude

i have silicone on my jon boat that is 15 years old.. you gotta buy the stuff in the caulk tube that is clear, not the "bathroom & tile" stuff.
Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

Your jon boat is one thing... a 70 mph fiberglass cored hull/transom  bass boat is another animal entirely.  I just don't trust plain old silicone as I had it fail on two different occasions on my Baja over the years.

And when you gonna get all that stuff out of my truck??  :D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

thedude

jump a lot of beaver dams and muskrat huts in your 70mph bass boat do yah? ;)
i can assure you my jon boat's transom has taken 10 times the beating any 'glass boat here has taken!

i've got it on my bass boat also... no problemos!
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cy

Can't you two ever agree and get along???  The real question is how long have you been friends?  Because it seems like you two have been friends way too long.   ;D
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

thedude

he's not my friend... i just show him how to catch fish every once in a while. ;D

and i will concede... i didn't think about at the time of posting, but you're probalby talking about mounting a transducer without screws? i use silicone, but also use self-tapping since its an aluminum hull.
Palehorse Custom Rods

cr

Cy when I traded my skeeter in I kept my SI unit and just put stainless finish screws in the old holes , the ones with a collar on them , looked OK . Any brand name marine grade silicone , 3m, loctite ,etc should work , just goop a lot of it on . P.S after reading this thread I now have "jon-boat envy". Jumping beaver dams sounds like a riot .

robtheboatman

The 5200 that Wags talked about is an excellent product.  Just make sure you have it where you want it, because when it dries, the stuff is permanent.  If you need more specific instruction, give me a call, and I will get with my fiberglass guy about your situation.
ROB

Waterfoul

Quote from: Cfruel on April 14, 2008, 10:47:36 AM
Can't you two ever agree and get along???  The real question is how long have you been friends?  Because it seems like you two have been friends way too long.   ;D

LOL!!  Yeah, we're friends... and ONE time he outfishes me.. ONE TIME.  And I was in the BACK seat that day.  ;D  But hey, we took home good money that day so I was o.k. with him outfishing me!  LOL!!

Anyway Cy, I just prefer the stronger stuff that adds adhesion to the waterproofing... 5200 is that product for me.  It has NEVER failed me... and like I said I've had silicone sealed holes leak in the past.  In fact, the trasom skimmer xducer for my dash mount fish finder is mounted to the transom with 5200... and no screws.