Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:53:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Spybaiting 101 Essentials

Started by raisinrat, August 23, 2017, 10:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisinrat

Guys and Gals I have been wanting to put this in a video to share with everyone. I pretty much cover everything I say on the daily at the shop on this in these videos. If you have any other questions let me know and I will try to help you out with this technique.

Part One:
https://youtu.be/3R9ICa5eCDA

Part Two:
https://youtu.be/Th4VuQzdjOk

Part Three:
https://youtu.be/EQ-JASbkkVg
Justin Clark

djkimmel

Haven't watched them yet but I plan to after Bassmaster LIVE. I do really appreciate you putting this together and sharing them with us!!! I've been using Spinbaits for a while and I'm still on the learning curve far behind where I expected I'd be by now. Catching some good fish on them but also losing more than I would expect... so I'll watch your videos, and keep on practicing and learning.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Well done and very helpful I think even to someone who has given the technique a try.

One thing I'm still wondering about - David Swenseid recommended 'pancaking' the rod when you get a bite on the Spinbait! You recommend more of a crankbait kind of hookset.

I generally land most of my crankbait bass but I'm losing a lot of nice bass on the Spinbaits. I've been lately doing a big hookset as David recommended...? I may have to revert myself to trying more of a softer crankbait type of hookset to see if that solves my issues?

I also want to play with hooks a little. They use small but heavy wire hooks. They're very sharp, but again I feel like I'm losing way too many bass for some reason, especially smallies but even largemouths. I have some concerns about effecting the balance of the lure but I did hook and land a large pike the other day on a Spinbait 90 with lighter Triple Grip hooks the other day. Oh well, I enjoy experimenting regardless...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

raisinrat

Dan how is your hook ratio on lipless baits? I have found that my hookset and gear that I like is very simlar to what I like for that and squarebills when I am working openwater areas.

In the summer time smallies will smack the bait with a closed mouth and then come back for it. You could be hooking the ones your losing on the outside of the mouth and thats why your loseing them. There is some 202 type stuff I am refining right now. When I am comfortable with the results I will be sharing. I have some 101 tips coming in the near future also. That might help those are having a hard time getting bite with this bait.
Justin Clark

GlennD

Very good videos they will help a lot. I've been using the 80 Duo baits and have been getting the bites but also I'm not hooking up very good with the fish. I've been targeting strictly smallmouth on southern Lake Michigan. I'm going to try the G Fix 80 next. Thanks again for the great videos and all your other reports you do. Glenn
2015 Ranger 620
Yamaha 250 & T9.9 Four Strokes
Lowrance Electronics
Minnkota Terrova 112

djkimmel

I'm expecting some of the bites I'm failing on our fish that are 'stunning' the lure first. I also think I need to find another casting reel that has a slower retrieve ratio - not easy anymore... Maybe I'll also try it more with a spinning combo. Thanks!

raisinrat

Detail look at the 80's I really feel has if guys are to OMG 1/2oz 90 and are really missing the boat with the 80 G-Fix which is the best fish cather OMI out of the three models DUO has here in the states.

https://youtu.be/ttY6Mur-ijE
Justin Clark

Hollada

What color best matches an emerald shiner?
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

bob o

very good information, i just need to use them more

raisinrat

Quote from: Hollada on September 01, 2017, 11:14:53 AM
What color best matches an emerald shiner?
Until the new limited edition Great Lakes colors come in I like Ghost Minnow for that job.

We should have them in the shop and online around then15th I am being told.
Justin Clark

djkimmel

I have a few 80 G-fix but I've been using the 90s so far. I've been trying to come up with a spinning rig I like for the smaller size. I might have one I can try for now because I think I need to get the cast out further than I can with a casting rig.

Been using casting rigs for my Spinbait 90 fishing. Just started trying a spinning rig yesterday. I think the rig I set up is still too heavy and I'm bringing in too much line too fast. Going to have to keep experimenting until I find what works the best for me.

I think DUO Realis has some nice minnow colors already but new colors are always interesting to check out. I really like their existing perch color.

The new perch color looks good too though. Does it have any orange/yellow/chartreuse on it at all?

The emerald shiner looks slightly blueish/purple. Does it have any green/emerald flash to it?

The goby sure is 'ugly' kind of like a real goby. So it might work? Hmmm...

Guess I better get back out fishing some more so I can do some more experimenting. :)

djkimmel

Quote from: raisinrat on September 01, 2017, 08:55:12 AM
Detail look at the 80's I really feel has if guys are to OMG 1/2oz 90 and are really missing the boat with the 80 G-Fix which is the best fish cather OMI out of the three models DUO has here in the states.

PS: you kind of lost me here with your 80 G-Fix commentary with your abbreviations/acronyms?? What are you trying to say? Just for my curiosity and education. Thanks!

raisinrat

I add another speices to the list of fish I have caught on the Spybait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqJE0zRN0NM
Justin Clark

djkimmel

You may be the 'Shepherd' but I AM THE Sheepmaster!!! Been hammering sheapshead well on spybaits since I started using them! They love me!! Seems like every time I modify my spybaiting approach I first catch a  sheepshead or a catfish!!