Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:28:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Humminbird Side Imaging

Started by Hooksetter, April 09, 2008, 09:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooksetter

Here's a 2-part  question for all you guys using a Humminbird Side Imaging Unit:

Where do you have it installed, bow or helm? Why?

Hooksetter
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

BryanP

At the console, mainly because I do most of my looking while idling around.  Especially on Erie and LSC.  However, the guys who are using it on the trolling motor absolutely love it.  You just have to understand the limitations on the trolling motor. 

If you only have one SI unit, I'd definitely mount it on the console.

Bryan

Humminbird Rep--Michigan

cr

I've got mine mounted at the console , so I can use the GPS to find the way-points after marking them on SI . I try to cover the area I want to fish in a grid type pattern and mark what I want to check-out . I'd like to have one on the TM , just to help stay off the spot I'm fishing , but know where its at when trying to fish the back or side's .

thedude

mine will go on the console - as most have said, use it to find structure/fish as you idle through areas. From there, i have a 'bird up front linked in through the interlink system so i can mark waypoints on the SI unit and see them while on the TM unit (which is not an SI).

West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

5alive

Where are you guys mounting the antenna?
Jeff Harris

www.quantumfishing.com
www.strikeking.com

VinceR

My 997 is mounted on the console. I surface mounted the antenna on the horizontal gunwale surface above the transom, about 15" to the left of the outboard. This where the antenna for my Eagle unit was mounted and I never had any issues with this location. I initially used this location, due to the fact that it is as close to being directly "above" the transducer, as possible (minimizing the position offset between the transducer and GPS antenna).

cr

I bought a ram mount that has a spot for the antenna on the same place that the unit mounts on , less holes in my boat .

Cy

Currently I have my Lowrance GPS puck located near the drivers console and the head unit.  I was planning on moving to the new puck to the back of the boat when I stall the 997 to be closer to the transducer and more accurate.

Does having the GPS puck close to the transducer improve way point accuracy?

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

rustydog

Well I did it, ordered a 997 yesterday. Just have to wait until May 1 to pick it up.For that much money it better put the fish in the boat by itself. I thought it was a stretch when I paid 1200$ for my Lowranace. Oh well its only money.

Dan

When I was at the Lowrance school recently, they talked a good deal about antennae placement. I know it's not a Humminbird, but antennae placement wouldn't really matter when it comes to best info.
The recommended placement was the bow. There was some very good argument for it, and I know from my own experience when you are moving around looking for a bed and the boat is pivoting on a spot with the antennae at the console it doesn't show much movement even though the 21 foot boat does a 360. I don't have my notes handy from the class, but I do recall there were several reasons why Lance Valentine, the instructor who guides for a living, recommended the bow.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

thedude

in the case of the SIs however, you can scroll over the structure 300' to the left of the transducer and mark the waypoint... so it is calculating the distance from the transducer to the cursor in relation the antenna... if you have a 20' boat w/ the antenna at the bow and transducer at the transom, i would expect your waypoint to be 20' off.. unless you approach the waypoint from the same bearing as you were travelling when you originally marked it. Gps should be accurate to within in 5'-10' anyway.
Palehorse Custom Rods

Hooksetter

Thanks for the info! Sounds like the way to go would be a Si unit at the helm linked to another Humminbird at the bow.

Hooksetter

Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Cy

Dan,

I am interested to hear more about why the GPS Guru thought the puck should go at the console.  Can you check your notes and post a couple?

Dude,

If I am thinking about this correctly, the SI unit draws straight line perpendicular to the boat out each side.  You can then arrow over and mark a way point on an object.  The only calculation is how far is the boat to the object in a straight line.  The distance to that object is almost the same from the middle of the boat as it is from the back.  Think back to high school geometry and the Pythagorean theorem, A2 + B2 = C2, 2=squared.  If the object is 10ft from the transom, the transom is 10ft from the GPS puck.  You can make a triangle out of it and figure that the object is about 14ft from the puck.  A 4ft difference with GPS + or - 3 meters, is 4ft enough to make a difference?  I'm not sure?

If I move my puck to the back I have to find a spot where it won't be stepped on or kicked all the time.  I don't know what to do at this point.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

thedude

i know what you're saying cy -
i don't think its really that big of a deal either, since there is not finite accuracy in the GPS itself... however, you still would have to treat the GPS antenna as an offset rather than use it to triangulate the waypoint.. because the unit thinks the transducer location and the Lat/Lon from the GPS are the same position. All the transducer can tell you is how far to the left or right the waypoint should be... so from there, everything else is calculated (i'm assuming) based on the gps position/signal.

if you have a 20' boat and the antenna/transducer are 20' apart, this would introduce a 20' offset in the waypoint vs. the actual location of the object. 3-4 meters is roughly 9-12'... so add another 8' to the radius around the waypoint to wherever the marked object might physically be...

again, probably not that big of a deal... it will still get you within 30', but if you're trying to mark a small rock pile or something, it might be a burden to locate it with a bait.

all that said, i will probably still mount mine near the console because its the easiest place to put it. :)
Palehorse Custom Rods