Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:44:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Best area to buy a cottage in Northern Michigan?

Started by LennyB, July 19, 2017, 08:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennyB

Hello Everyone,

So as I get closer to retirement I'm thinking of buying a cottage / retirement home North of West Branch but South of Mackinaw. What's your area of choice for a home base. I would like to have both Largemouth and Smallmouth waters near. Good restaurants and a Hospital, Dentists, etc.... not to far is a plus also. What would be your first choice area?

Thanks for your input ~ Lenny B

djkimmel

I wish I could have such a place near Burt and Mullett but to be closer to a hospital I guess you'd need to be closer to Traverse City maybe? Not a lot of hospitals up there. Don't know anything about the hospitals in Cheboygan or Petoskey.

Some nice lakes around Alpena but it has always seemed more remote to me with no good Interstate nearby. Don't know if they will ever create the new 23 highway anytime soon. Been hearing about it forever. Even then, all the E-W travel up there is by twisty-turny 2-lanes. That probably helps keep it less traveled though.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bob o

Gaylord has some pretty good deals, i was looking on Realtor.com eariler today.that is if you don't want a waterfront cabin/house waterfront prices are crazy

djkimmel

I'd love a waterfront property... I'd never get anything done though.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

LennyB

I like the Gaylord area just for the smaller largemouth lakes and the big smallmouth lakes are not to far away if I want to do that. I looked around the Traverse area but very expensive and a lot of traffic. Alpena is nice but not a lot of smaller lakes for when the wind blows.

djkimmel

Yes, that's the other reason I was thinking I wouldn't concentrate on Alpena. Not enough choice.

I like the Gaylord area too. Have stayed near there some times and it doesn't seem that far to get to many places from there.

Not surprised TC is overpriced! I've never liked the traffic down that way either. I usually cut across North of there unless I absolutely have to go down that way. Good luck.

LAPORTE

I have a place in Oscoda on the foot pond. We love going there on the weekends but I just couldn't imagine living full time up north anywhere... Seems like Ii have to be closer to stuff....

Now retirement home. I'm thinking Emory,Texas for the winter months and Belleville for the Summer time
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

LennyB

Good idea LaPorte  :D We are thinking about East Texas for the winter and Northern Michigan for the summer.

Waterfoul

Anywhere in Leelanau county.  Some good lakes to be fished, GT Bay isn't far, and it's close enough to everything you need.  My family has had a place on Glen Lake since the mid 80's and we love it up there. 
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

thedude

anything between cadillac and traverse city.  cadillac is only 40 minutes torch/skeg/elk.  I'd personally go looking on belleaire or some of the smaller lakes in that chain for waterfront
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

TheFishinPollock

Contact Christian Nelson at remax of elk rapids. Tell him you know matt novak, me. Kalkaska county is cheaper than antrim county and much less than grand traverse to live in without the traffic. Which really is not bad.
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

motocross269

I have a place up by Cadillac on a small lake called Hicks lake...I really like the Cadillac region because I am within an Hour of some great smallmouth fishing and have a ton of smaller inland lakes to play around on.... There is great Kayak, Steelhead and Trout fishing on the Muskegon, Pine, Pierre marquette, and Manistee rivers..Also have Hopendyl dam and tippy dam within a close driving distance..
I also like that region for the ORV/Snowmobile opportunities, The best hiking trails south of the bridge in the Manistee National forest, Public Hunting land is abundent and plenty of Golf courses if I want to go that route for a reason to drink some beer...Also the Taxes are cheap..

Don't turn your back on Alpena....There is a good hospital in the city of Alpena, but like I found out with my dad when he was sick it is tough to beat the hospitals in the southern region ...
It takes a pretty good wind to get blown off from Long lake it happens but you can always tuck into the North West end.....Grand lake can get rough but I can only count on one hand the number of times I have had to retreat to covered areas...You also have Hubbard lake, Fletchers Floodwaters, Black Lake, Thunder river and Thunder bay that offer great fishing opportunities...
Alpena has some good recreational opportunites outside of fishing but they are a little more limited than the west side...but one of the bonuses of the Alpena area...When I visit my Inlaws on Holiday weekends the amount of people on the lake is tolerable..When I go to Cadillac or Traverse city it is almost unbearable being on the lakes or any other tourist trap...The amount of vacationors in the Alpena region is probably half of what it is on the west side...