Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:08:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

A Trip to Ray Scott's House

Started by Dan, April 03, 2008, 10:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Well I have been waiting a bit to pass along my exciting news. We're going to Ray Scott's estate to fish on his famous Presidents Pond!! I haven't been talking about it much for fear I would jinx the trip and it wouldn't come to fruition. However, here's the email Jim, Ray's business manager, sent my buddy Don who got the invite and added me.

"Don -  Sounds like a plan.  I'll get with Ray to ensure this is a viable time frame (that nothing on his schedule has changed in the past 24-hrs) and we'll try to firm up these dates of 24-26 of April for you to come challenge Ray and Don.

I'll have the boats put in the afternoon of the 24th: Two Triton TRx-20s.  Bring whatever you feel works to catch fish (rods/reels, lures etc).  Oh, and your nitroglycerin tablets.  There will be no nets in the boats and every one has to land their own fish.  I'll handle the weigh-in (on his front dock).

Try to schedule your arrival for the afternoon on the 24th and we'll try to pick everyone up at the airport, unless you¹re driving.

This will most likely be a 4-lb test tournament, just to keep it exciting.  We provide/spool the line so that everyone is playing with the same degree of fairness.  There will probably be a 5-fish (between the two of you), no cull rule as well.  You/your partner catch a fish, you decide if it goes into the live well or not.  But once a fish is in, there is no cull (should you catch a larger fish later).  Five fish total.

Regards,

Jim

Is that cool or what! I talked to KVD himself down at D&R sports because he just recently filmed two episodes for Mark Zona's "World's Greatest Fishing Show" down at Ray's pond/lake. The first of the two "Flamich Cup" shows will air this Saturday at 8:30 am on ESPN2. Kevin said the shows were a gas to film and are quite funny. Can't wait to watch them.
Ray threw the 4lb. test thing in. I know he's caught a 13 lbder. out of his pond before, and KVD says we'll catch the fire out of four and five lbders. He also said they should be spawning about the time we're there.
So what do you think? I'm taking spinning reels and I have a 7 ft. Loomis with a fast tip. Do you think I need to get a lighter weight rod?
Also, if some of you who rep for companies on the GLB site, want to send me some product I will be sure to deliver it directly to Ray and Don Corkran, (Don if you don't know him is the BASS Federation Director). A pretty good way to get your product introduced to some big names. If Ray and or Don likes the product, I'm sure they'll be bragging it up in front of some of the big names in the sport who Ray has down regularly. A good promo chance I would guess. I'm thinking a GLB care package. I already have three different DVDs from Seth Burrill that he sent for me to give Ray on drop shotting, etc.
I don't know if we're flying or driving yet. Don Fowler, who got the invite after winning the BASS Northern Divisional leading it all three days, is down on Lewis Smith Lake fishing the FLW Tour event there. If you watch the weigh in today he drew boat #8 and is fishing the back seat with Randy Morris. Tony DeFilippo our buddy from the Traverse area is fishing as a pro and drew 102 today. Later flights should be good with the bass in prespawn/spawn down there. In any case, when we go to Ray's I'll be doing a day by day report on the daily blog I do on teardropbass.com.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

motocross269

I am so Jealous...Have a great time and bring back some good stories and lots of pictures...

1javelin

;) ;)
Have fun and catch the he!! out of them!!

1Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Dan

Hey, I'm still looking for some of y'alls advice on a rod that I can use to toss that 4 lb. test that Ray is giving us.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Cheetam

Quote from: Dan on April 04, 2008, 11:05:03 AM
Hey, I'm still looking for some of y'alls advice on a rod that I can use to toss that 4 lb. test that Ray is giving us.
I personally wouldn't use anything heavier than a medium-light with more of a moderate action...something with a solid butt section, but definitely enough action mid-section up to handle the stress I would imagine (having never fished for big fish on 4 lb line) a big fish would put on such thin line.
Jeff

SethV

Wow, that sounds like a chance of a lifetime!!!

Please get lots of pics and do a detailed write-up when you get back!!!

LUCKY DOG!!   :P

Dan

Hey Seth,
Just sent a bunch of reels to your dad to take care of for me. I definitely plan on taking pictures and maybe we'll have another DVD on the make. Got a rod choice for me. I am thinking of a medium light seven footer.

Dan

Well, did you watch Zona's show today. Looked like a great time to me. The lake also is bigger than what I was thinking it would be. I packing some crankbaits, but on 4 lb. test???

bassmandan

"dont stop keep fishing"