Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:53:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

I need HELP picking a tow vehicle...

Started by BassinGT, March 27, 2008, 08:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassinGT

Friends,
I'm looking for any info you might have about picking a good tow vehicle. Here's my situation.

I have a long drive to work everyday so I have a Ford Focus. This means that my wife's everyday vehicle ends up being my "tow" vehicle. I have a 19 foot Stratos that maybe weighs 3000 pounds fully loaded including trailer and motor. I know that I wouldn't have any problems with pretty much any full size truck out there. But since this is my wife's primary vehicle she tends to favor an SUV. And not a big SUV, more of a midsize SUV. Our Mercury Mountaineer, which had a V8 and pulled my boat great, is slowly starting to die. So I just wanted to get some opinions on vehicles out there and your good/bad experiences with them. For example I wonder if there are any good SUVs with a V6 that I could use.

If anyone has any thoughts on the subject please let me know.

Thanks!

Gary

Cheetam

Gary- Look into a Trailblazer.  Chevy is practically giving them away and they have plenty of power to pull your boat (depending on whether you get 2-wheel or 4-wheel drive and the axle, close to 6000 pounds).  I pulled my Stratos 185 loaded with more crap than is necessary with my LS 2 wheel drive and I had absolutely no problems...
Jeff

BassinGT

Ahh yes! Thanks Jeff. That is exactly the type of info I'm looking for. I'll put the Trailblazer on the list for consideration.

Keep them coming!

BassinGT

Jeff,
What is the ratio of your rear axle? I'm looking around at some used Trailblazers and all I'm finding are the higher ratios like 3.42. If I'm not mistaken wouldn't I want a lower ratio like 3.5 or 3.7 to make towing a little easier on the vehicle?
Gary

Cheetam

My first trailblazer had a 3.73 axle and pulled the boat nicely.  My second (and now third) had/have the 3.42.  The 3.73 will accelerate faster and have a higher tow rating (I think my first 2-wheel drive with the 3.73 was around 5900, with the 4x4 being less by a couple hundred pounds), but it will get slightly less in terms of gas mileage than the 3.42.  The 3.42 is somewhere in the neighborhood of 5200 or 5300 pounds.  If you can, look for a V8 and you will pull over 6000 lbs.  I definitely preferred the 4x2 (I have a 4x4 now) for pulling, but couldn't find one with the options I wanted.
Jeff

Cheetam

btw...I passed the chevy dealer near my house today and there was a used trailblazer, pewter color with a sticker price of 7995...looked in good shape, but for that price I'm thinking it probably has a ton of miles on it.  They may have it listed on their website...I'll check and see what the deal is with it...

EDIT: 2002 LS, 117,000 miles, Lou LaRiche Chevrolet, Plymouth.  Let me know if that is something you'd be interested in and I'll give you the sales guy I've dealt with on my last 3 trucks...
Jeff

BassinGT

Thanks but knowing my wife, there would be a better chance of me selling my boat than there would be of buying her a vehicle with over 100K miles on it. I think she'll want a low milage vehicle.

Thanks for tip though!

-Gary

motocross269

If you decide to go with a Ford..Make sure you get ahold of me and I will get you  the X-plan discount(Friends and Family)..If you don't already have it available..
I have an F150 super crew..Great truck, drives just like an SUV and has 4 doors..
Let me know...The X-plan Discount is available to anyone that is interested..
Thanks for looking at American Made.....We need the work..

Brian

BassinGT

Thanks Brian. I'll keep that in mind as well.

VinceR

Gary, if you were happy with the Mountaineer (or Explorer), I would go right back with another one. As far as V6 power, the 4.0L is rated to tow 5,000 lbs. (7000 with the V8). It will tow your boat pretty well. Something to consider, though, is that if you're looking at the V6 for fuel economy, there is little (or no) difference between the V6 and V8. As a matter of fact, you will probably see better numbers out of the V8 when you are pulling your boat. Plus, the V8 will not work nearly as hard. Where you will notice the difference the most is on hills. Where the V6 may struggle a bit, the V8 will take them on without even breathing heavy.

I'm a Chevy guy, but it's no different with the GM and Dodge products. My wifes I6 Trailblazer pulls my 3500+lb. boat and trailer just fine, however the fuel economy is worse than my 5.3L Suburban. Same thing with the Dodge V6 and V8 motors.

If you compare the advertised "estimated" fuel economy, you will see that Ford advertises the 4.0L V6 AND the 4.6 V8 at 13/19. Chevy is the same with the 4.2L I6 at 14/20, and the 5.3 V8 at 13/19 (both 4WD).

Bottom line, pick the one you like best, go with the V8, and don't look back. Also, you will want to go with 3.73 axle ratio in whatever you choose. There is no noticeable difference in fuel economy over the 3.42 or 3.55.

BassinGT

Great info Vince. This is exactly the stuff I'm looknig for!

Thanks!
Gary

Langer

How about a Motorcycle!!   ;D

All joking aside, I have an F150 and my wife loves to drive it. Her vehicle is the Ford Edge, We got it with the tow package its rated to 3500lbs.  I have not tried to pull the boat yet with it so I don't know how it would do. Benn over in Germany alot the last couple months and you should see some of the vehicles they use to tow trailers with, very small compact vehicles, none seemed to be struggling.
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

spinninbug

Hey Gary and Everyone,

Don't forget the Benchley's is a sponser here and I will deliver anywhre in the state,  we are a GMC dealer and every memeber on the forum will get the friends of supplier discount just for being members. Also on used there will be special pricing for members. And if we don't have what your looking for I will find it for you.  So for instance if you want a used trailblazer I can find one for you.  So for anyone that's looking for a new/used vehicle you can reach me here or @ wjohnson@benchleybpg.com or 800-272-5672.

All you have to do is get in touch with me and I will work hard to get the right vehicle for you.  You can check out our website by clinking on the banner under this post.

So thanks in advance for considering us.
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

thedude

i used to pull my boat (19' tracker avalanche) which is maybe 2000lbs w/ my dad's envoy with the straight 6 before i bought a pickup -
a few things -
its got plenty of power, but will really suck down the gas both in normal driving and while towing. 17mpg is about as good as you can expect, 10-11mpg towing.

My primary concern with the envoy/trailblazer - is the trans - pulling my boat on a hot summer day for more than say... 1 - 1 1/2 hrs.. would cause the auxillary trans fan to kick on and stay on for the rest of the day because it was getting too hot. I guess thats a good thing it has an aux fan, but i believe its electric and if it goes out and you don't know it you could be in deep doo-doo

if you can find an explorer with a 4.3l v8... those were solid engines - i have two buddies that drive f150s ('98 and a '01) and they both get in the 20-22mpg range and ~13mpg towing.
one truck has over 150k on it now.. and he's been running 38" tires for half of those (obviously not getting 20mpgs.. now, more like 14).

West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

BassinGT

Thanks to everyone that contributed. I feel I have enough info to make a better informed decision now!

We'll all be on the water soon enough!! I'm heading down to Cave Run Lake in KY mid April to do some bass and muskie fishing so I'm pumped!

-Gary

SethV

The Trailblazer/Envoy platform will easily tow your boat, but if it were me, I would take a look at the Chevy/GMC Full Size utilities.

I had a 2007 Suburban and now run a 2008 Avalanche, and the new body style is absolutly fantastic.  The quiet ride, great power and extra space are hard to beat - the new interior is beautiful.

The fuel ecconomy is not much different between the TB/Envoy and the Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon/Avalanche.  The biggest difference is the purchase price, but they are so worth it.

Also, with the newer V8's you get the E85 capability (in my tank right now!!!) as well as the cylinder deactivation so it runs on 4 cyl on the highway.

Seth

Lightningboy

Alright, I'm a bowtie guy, so my two cents.

The trailblazer with the V8 is the way to go if you're concerned about total size.  The V6 will not get you any better mileage, much worse when towing.  The V6 will also shift a great deal more on hills & in heavy traffic, weakening the tranny over time.  I know from experience, had 2 V6's in the family and a V8.  Towed a variety of campers & boats with each.  If you put any amount of lugage in the back when you tow, air bag helper springs to level the truck will be a great help.

If size isn't an issue, we love our Avalanche.  Mileage is nearly that of a Trailblazer.  Actually better when towing.  I tow a TR21, you would hardly know it's back there.  Rides like the living room couch.  It's my wife's daily driver; I have to beg to take it to the lake.

Skip Johnson

Gary Ive towed trailers for a living my whole life and tried it all and its a simple set up that will work for both of you.

3:73 gears
V-8
4 wheel disc brakes

towing wont be a problem no matter what vehicle you pick if it has those three options and the commuting mileage will still be just as good or at least very close and try to get an e-85 vehicle.
3:42's work a vehicle too hard and cause over shift when towing no matter what engine you have and 4"10's or 11's over rev and cut down your mileage tremendousley.
Go Big or Go Home!

BassinGT

yukonjack2

Ditto on the avalanche - Great riding vehicle.  In addition, couple of Items:

Tight turning radius - great for the Wife on Parking
Hard Tonnau Cover - Lockable, protecting all the Non-boat Fishing stuff at the Ramp
Decent Value on the used side - Just picked up an 03 for about $16k
Plenty of towing capacity
Midgate allows long cargo items - yet still lockable
Tent avaialble for the bed if you are interested-camping at the ramp
Finally - www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com - huge following of the chevy product

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them