Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:20:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Wrench advice for a non wrencher

Started by Dan, June 13, 2017, 10:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Was on East Bay Monday and when I put the boat in gear there was a loud clatter like gears not messing in the transmission. After a few seconds it meshed and ran without a problem. Didn't do it every time I decided to move, but it did do it several more times. Is it the lower unit going???
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

It could be, which is not good... but it could also be you just have something loose somewhere along the way, maybe even just  your shift cable...? Good luck. Maybe more true wrenchers can weigh in also?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

Like Dan said it sounds like it isn't going into gear all the way.  Take the cowling off and have someone shift it.  Check to see If it is going all the way back. Check to make sure the shift lever is tight.  There are some bushings that may be worn.    Drain the lower unit and look for metal shavings of bits. 

Good luck hopefully it is a easy fix.

Dan

Thanks guys. I just got off the phone with the local marine mechanic. We live in Podunkville in the woods. Just sold the house in GR last October and moved in to our tiny, but on the lake and in the woods cabin. Haven't been able to really do much fishing in the last 4 years. My mother-in-law has needed our care and she past away last year at 92 so we were able to cut ties with the big city and move up here before we're too old to do it. I probably fished 5 times in the last three years. Only once last year so, now we're up here I have been getting out to chase the spawn. Been catching a bunch of fish and starting to move north with the spawn. GT Bay Monday is when I began hearing the disturbing sound when putting the boat in gear. Got on here to see what info I could glean before the Boat House opened this morning. You guys were spot on. The mechanic I talked to there said the same thing you guys said. Best case is a cable adjustment, worst case a new "clutch dog." He's going to try and look at it late Thursday or maybe Friday. Takes two days to get the clutch dog and then installation time. Of course they are extremely busy. He said he'd see what he could do for me. He's a good mechanic and has helped me out on my flotilla a number of times in the past. I'll let ya know what he finds.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

Good luck! Sometimes it is just the simple things, especially when it just starts happening like that after some recent use.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TheFishinPollock

Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Dan

Kind of. We have had a cabin about an hour south of TC for 30 years. It's a tiny place, but it's in the woods on a little lake. We finally sold our house in the big city and are tiny housing it. Love it though.

djkimmel

Firefighter Jeff

Good for you Dan.  Has the fishing been good on the bay.  I considered fishing it Wednesday and changed my mind.