Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 10:15:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

First visit to Lake Menderchuck 4-28-2017

Started by djkimmel, June 11, 2017, 06:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

I was fortunate to meet a new angler named Randy at the 2017 Ultimate Sport Show Grand Rapids who lives on a private lake and wanted to invite me fishing to it this year! It's a lake I've never fished before though I've wondered about it at times over the years.

Lo and behold, before I could meet up with Randy and get their Zona and KVD go there on ZONA Live and whack a truckload of big bass on a windy, rainy, very cold spring day!! I will admit this made me more than a little interested now to hurry up and get there!!

Because it is a private lake having no public access with any parking I will follow their lead and just refer to it as the (infamous) Lake Menderchuck. I will say that it does have a number of similarities to many small inland Michigan lakes though so there are commonalities.

I met Randy at his house and we launched his boat right from the hoist and went to a point because one of my rules about fishing a new lake and not being absolutely sure what to do is to fish the points! I had rigged fairly heavy the day before with dreams that night of 'Bassmaster' hooksets galore...

I have to say, the day started off pretty darn good when less than a dozen casts into the morning I set the hook on a big ole toad!! We were fishing pretty deep on this steep point with sparse weeds so I had rigged an Angling AI Stinger (green pumpkin red flake or black-blue I can't remember which because I used them both) on a plain 3/8 oz ball head jig. I was slowly twitching it along the bottom of the break when it got heavy. I got to do a Bassmaster hookset and it felt GOOD!!! I admit it!

Unfortunately, I did not get to do very many Bassmaster (or any other kind of) hooksets after that...?!? We fished some great looking stuff moving from deep off the breaks up onto flats and points, in weeds, along the edge of weeds, and outside of weeds and not much happened. I spent a lot of the day scratching my head.

Granted, the water was almost 10 degrees warmer than when Z and KVD fished it but you wouldn't expect the bass to move too far just yet on a small inland lake... we did travel up shallower a few times even checking some known spawning areas but there just wasn't much happening on this different day. I still don't know for sure what to think of it.

I did catch just a few more solid keepers but it was definitely one here, one there. Even on another major underwater point with nice weeds I only managed 1 2 1/2 pounder in 10-14 fow water on a Dock Monkey jig and craw...

We only caught a few dinks even and maybe got pestered by a couple pike if I recall right now a month and a half later?? Randy was able to hook into 1 nice largemouth bass too but where the bulk of them were this day I still am not sure. We tried up high in the water column down to the bottom from a few feet deep out to 20+ and it all ended up having me scratch my head wondering if I still know how to find and catch bass??

Who likes a day like that...?? Still, it was fishing on a new lake with a new friend. We had a great day together despite not putting it together ever and I hope to fish some more with Randy in the future (in fact, we have made it out one more time so far together). I like a new lake challenge even if it leaves me wondering what the?? I will definitely try to get back to the lake and try some more because that's what we do, right?!?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.