Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:46:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

My Week At Kent Lake.

Started by dartag, June 10, 2017, 09:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dartag

Kent Lake 3 Tournaments in 5 days.

After the OCBM Event on Kent I had a couple days off until last week.  I fished 3 tournaments in 5 days on Kent.  During the OCBM event I found fish near Blue Gill beds.   Most bass bedding was done.  Last Tuesday was our first CFB morning event.  Since it is a 3 fish limit getting one was easy.  Problem was quality.  We ended up with 7.75 for 5th place.

Thursday was the CFB morning opener.  Since my partner could not make it I fished with a young man on leave from the Navy.   He wanted to go way up river.  I told him we would go wherever he wanted.  The water is strange up there this year.  After 1.5 hours without a bite on Top Water, Swing Jigs I gave up and got the Senko rod out.  Third Cast I catch a 4.66.  We fish another ½ hour without a bite.  Time to head back down and check the Gill beds.  We caught 3 keepers on the way back and the fifth fish at 11:50.  We ended up winning and getting Big Bass.

Today was the Tips Up For Troops Event.  You take your boat and get a Veteran or Service Person out fishing for the day.  The same young man fished with me.   We stayed down lake and caught 3 right away.  Then headed up lake to the same Gill beds.   Finished our limit and even culled a few pounds.   We ended up 3rd place with 11.77.   He got a nice plaque for 3rd.

Almost all the Gill Bed fish came on the Stevie Rig pitched to the beds or weed edges.

Kent is fishing really strange this spring.  The water is dirty and where there used to be lots of weeds it is bare bottom now.  The weights are really down this year.  There are plenty of Blue Gills for food.  Maybe it is the spring funk.  Glad I don't have to go back there a while.   Looking forward to fishing clean water lakes for a while.

Team houston

Team houston

Almost forgot, nice job Steve.

TimH

Nice job Steve.  I attempted to participate in the Tips Up for Troops event just like I have done in years past, but things just didn't work out this year....and I am none to happy about it either.  I got to Kent about 5:50AM on Saturday morning and immediately got in-line to check in for Tips Up for Troops. I, along with about 15 other guys, stood in-line until 6:30AM waiting to be paired with a veteran only to be told that they had more boaters than veterans.  Don't get me wrong, I am glad that they were able to get all vets out fishing, but when you have people volunteering their time, boats, and equipment, don't waste their time.  I decided I was going to launch and fish by myself, but I found the west launch just about packed and the east launch was even busier with a farmers market and registration for a marathon or some type of run, so I went home.  Not going to lie, I was more than a bit frustrated with the whole situation.

djkimmel

Having too many boats almost never happens anywhere!?! I try to avoid it whenever I have an event with volunteer boaters but it is hard to turn away volunteers also where you might end up with not enough - much worse! Real bummer that you at least didn't get to go fishing. Sounds like a packed weekend at the Metropark!?! You'd think on free fishing weekend they would favor fishing over other activities??

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.