Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:50:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Networking a 797 with a non side imager - advice on purchase too please.

Started by bshaner, March 24, 2008, 03:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bshaner

Ok I'm hoping for a better answer than "That truck will drive a lot smoother if you purchase tires with it."

-sorry, a little humor between Joshimoto and myself.

I've decided to go with the 797 c2i SI w/ NVB for the back of the boat/console.  I'm going to ram mount it, not in console mount.

What I want to know is which humminbird non side imaging unit (gps/sonar combo) would compliment it best.

I'm looking at 640 x 480 res and a 5 inch display.

I want to network the 2 for waypoint/gps purposes.

I'd also like to know which accessories at a bare minimum I'm going to need to get it done.  i.e. cables / network box etc, etc. that arent going to come with the units.

My desired effect for the front unit would be handling depth, water temp, secondary fish finding as well as getting waypoints from the side imager so I can hold on structure I've found cruising around.  I dont necessarily need the NVB for the front as I wont be using it for navigation.  Hopefully I've done my homework and found everything I need with the side imager.

Thanks guys,

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

thedude

i was told by humminbird customer support the following:

older matrix series will work with a software update, otherwise.. if you look up the "interlink" product on the humminbird website, it has a list of compatible units.

the interlink box itself comes with enough cables to connect & network 2 units.

from email:
Are there any special cables i need to buy to use the interlink also? All of the cables will be in the box with the interlink. There will be only 2 cables on the box. 1 to unit one. (Console) One to unit 2 (Bow). The other space is for the GPS antenna to plug into the interlink box. 
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Berkley

I networked my 797 with a 747c. Due to hard water I have only had the gps on and was able to share waypoints and the weather sense between the units. My NVB didnt share with my front unit.

Cy

You can see the "Fishing System" or Interlink compatible units here: http://store.humminbird.com/accessories/system-modules/interlink-fishing-system-network-connection/prod406820-1.html

I was told my the Hummindbird Rep at Matteson Marine that the NVB maps will slow down the 997.  That is doesn't have the RAM and Processor to process the map data quick enough.  I would be concerned that the 797 will have a similar issues.

You will need:

797 w/ SI Transducer - If you want high speed sonar you will also need a Y Cable and a XP-9-20 transducer.
Second HB unit with transducer
Interlink Unit
I am not sure if you need to purchase additional cables for the Interlink connectivity???

You can also look here for information:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/

http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/

Good Luck.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

VinceR

Quote from: bshaner on March 24, 2008, 03:44:07 PM
Ok I'm hoping for a better answer than "That truck will drive a lot smoother if you purchase tires with it."

-sorry, a little humor between Joshimoto and myself.

I've decided to go with the 797 c2i SI w/ NVB for the back of the boat/console.  I'm going to ram mount it, not in console mount.

What I want to know is which humminbird non side imaging unit (gps/sonar combo) would compliment it best.

I'm looking at 640 x 480 res and a 5 inch display.

I want to network the 2 for waypoint/gps purposes.

I'd also like to know which accessories at a bare minimum I'm going to need to get it done.  i.e. cables / network box etc, etc. that arent going to come with the units.

My desired effect for the front unit would be handling depth, water temp, secondary fish finding as well as getting waypoints from the side imager so I can hold on structure I've found cruising around.  I dont necessarily need the NVB for the front as I wont be using it for navigation.  Hopefully I've done my homework and found everything I need with the side imager.

Thanks guys,

B

I suppose it depends on how much you want to spend, and how much detail you want up front. On the upper end you have the 787c2, 787c2i, or the 787c2 (w/o GPS receiver). If you're planning to network the units via InterLink, you can get the 787c2 without the GPS receiver (and save $100.00), and take your GPS signal, for both units, from one receiver (through the InterLink). The 787 series meets your specs for resolution at 640v X 420h.

Next down, would be the 767 (monochrome). It has 640v X 320h resolution, and full GPS (mapping) capabilities. This would save you another $100.00.

I went with a 997 at the console and a 727 (mono) up front (networked through an InterLink). It has 640v X 320h resolution. You can view the waypoints, nav screen, and trackplotting, but not the maps or chartplotting. I figured that since I will be viewing the screen on this one from 5' away (looking down), I didn't need that much detail to focus on, up front. Having the nav capabilities, up front, is more than I'm used to having (but, very much wanted). Plus, I already blew the budget on the console unit (and all of the extras - InterLink, 2nd transducer, Y-cable, etc.).

The 777c2 will operate in the same manner as the 727, except it is a color unit with 640v X 420h resolution. This unit will run you about the same price as the 767.

dmills4124

The rep told me I can conect my 161C with the 797C2SI and it would work some. The 161C would use the external GPS and ignore the internal one. Also the waypoints will not transfer from one to the other.. There is more but I can't remember it all. I would check to see if your old one would work.
later
don m

BryanP

Don, there would be no reason to connect the 797 and the 161.  Both are already gps, and you can't share waypoints with a 100 series unit.

dmills4124

Thanks for that Bryan. I currently have Humminbirds. A 220 on the front. The 161C on the console and a 100 on the rear that came with the boat. We rarely use that one. it's just to close the the other transducer for the 161 to work right. I wanted to move the 797 up front after we got a better unit for the console. We were just thinking about connecting the 220 and the 797 after we get the new 797.
thanks
don m

BryanP

dmills--You cannot link the 220 either.  Only the "fishing system" units are able to be linked.  "Fishing system" units include the 700, 900, and 1100 series.  Some of the older Matrix units can be linked also, but will need the latest software update.