Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:54:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Cheap RED Hooks

Started by blakstr1, February 16, 2006, 03:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blakstr1

This was e-mailed to me earlier today...has anybody tried it?

This tip I give credit to Mike Iaconelli for but since I bought the stuff and tried it I can now share it.
Now he never said which dye to get but I found Spike It at BPS for dipping spinner blades.

Found here:? ?(UPDATE) See link on Reply #4 further down the page
http://www.basspro.com/servlet...sults
They show red but don't have it listed to buy. I got mine at a local BPS store so you might have to call about it or find someone who carries this.

The red hooks cost almost $1 more than regular hooks. Not only that the dip makes them look a darker red which looks more like blood than the other hooks that come dyed.

I found that on the silver hooks you get a nice red color, your darker hooks get a darker red. The other nice thing is you can do all your old hooks on older crankbaits.

I sat down last night and did all the front hooks on my lipless crankbaits and pursuader lures. Just unhooked the front hook used some fishing line to run through the eye, dipped it, made sure it coated well, shook it off, and set it on paper to dry. Most of the hooks dried within 20-30seconds after dipping. I will try to get some pictures but this definitely is a huge money saver.

I compared them to some red hooks I had bought. The only difference was my dyed hooks are a little deeper red but not much. They look AWESOME!!!

Might be onto something...

Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Cheetam

Your link only goes to the BPS home page Blake...what is the name of the product?

*edit*...duh, Spike it...I see it now... :D
Jeff

MBell

You can also use a spraypaint for metal like rutoleum.   Lasts about as long as the store bought red hooks.  I like it because most of the red hoods are not nickel plated underneath and rust once the red is gone. 
-Matt

fiker

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

blakstr1

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=61359&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Try this link....I always tell myself to try those right after I post something with a link... Thanks for the heads up Jeff.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Bulletproof

You don't have to wear that dress tonight. ;)
I am haunted by waters.

Savage

Dang, Skinner, we might have to try that one.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

blakstr1

its like i've said not sure if the red hooks work that much but why not..anything that helps is worth it, this looks like a real good idea...
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

MBell

They've been helpful to me on the belly hooks of jerkbaits.  Don't like them on plastics though.  It's just something that won't really hurt you and may help you just a bit.  With all of the follows you get on jerkbaits something that increases your strikes just a few % can be very valuable. 
-Matt

blakstr1

I've noticed alot of the pros (except KVD) just changes out the belly hooks with the red ones.. I've got my own theory on this one, but MBell what do you think the reasoning is behind more success with just a red belly hook?
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com