Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:42:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

My first BFL

Started by Big dreams, June 25, 2017, 10:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big dreams

I have never fished a BFL until Saturday.  It was a pretty neat experience.  I didn't know what to expect.  The people I spoke to on the ground all were very helpful in guiding me on the right track from packing the right gear to weigh in.  I am very thankful for  everyone's help.

Being a co angler, I was excited to ride in different boats.  The boater I was linked up with had a brand new Nitro Z19.  The boat was very nice and fished off from well.

My boater told me we were headed to St. Clair to a few spots where he had been catching them at.  The run up river was intense.  Some of those boats were out of the water more than they were in it seemed.  Got to see the miracle mile and then we got to this wide open area to which he said "welcome to St. Clair".  It was a beautiful morning with only a few clouds in the sky. 

I quickly found the bite was soft and undetectable at times.  At the end of the day, I was only able to land two fish for a total of 4 lbs.  The ride back down the river was pure misery.  It took 1.5 hours to get back from the opening of St. Clair.  My entire body hurt afterwards and I couldn't wait to kiss the ground. 

Overall, the fishing was not good but the experience was amazing.  I met some great guys and am looking forward to St. Clair on the 15th. 

dartag

Good report.  Problem with the river is if it isn't rough.  It will be.  On calm days the power boats will churn it up.  Heard Lake Erie was real bad to.  Glad you had fun.  Looks like you have the right attitude.  Good luck on future events.  Keep them reports coming.

mikesmiph

I remember the feelings during my first one too. You popped your cherry now. You'll catch them at the next one. Be careful though, St. Clair is addictive.

Big dreams

I'm looking forward to it.  I was told not to throw topwaters or a jerkbait.  That contradicts what some of you told me.  I'm going to bring it with me July 15.  Can you guys confirm the boat ride is smoother than on the river?

mikesmiph

No promises there. It can get pretty crazy out there too. Always worth the trip when you find just the right spot. I love St. Clair.

Team houston

Who told you not to throw jerkbaits or topwater?????????????

Big dreams

My boater.  Not a big deal.  I tried shallow and deep jerks with no success.  By the time we made it to our stop, the top water bite would have been real tough anyways.  Now I know though :)

Team houston

Why did he tell you not to throw those two baits?

Big dreams

Just said they dont usually produce for him.

fiker

Especially during the may fly hatch top waters work well. Jerk baits work well most f the season.
For me other techniques are; drop shot, tubes, soft swim baits, and crank baits.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

djkimmel

Yeah... it's okay to listen to what other anglers have to say... BUT use your own head too! Topwater can be a good choice many times on any of the Great Lakes. Jerkbaits... ever hear of a guy who goes by the initials KVD?? ;D

Jerkbaits are ALWAYS worth a try off and on. It is a great idea to vary the sizes, colors and types of jerkbaits too, especially remembering to try suspending and deeper diving ones because a few extra feet can sometimes make all the difference!

Thanks for posting your story! Always great to hear about everyone's experiences! Hopefully there will be many more from you, and your luck and results will go up, up, up!!

St. Clair can be really rough too though it's rarely as bad as the afternoon through the 'Miracle Mile' luckily but tuna boat traffic can make the U.S. side pretty choppy and wicked any afternoon even with the wind down.

If you head out on a light wind day it can be real nice in the morning! You still have to watch for the occasional tuna boat wake out of nowhere... Sometimes, there's an early afternoon wind change that can make running much nicer too... until you hit the West part of the lake tuna boat traffic wakes anyways...

For either water, always remember if the wind is blowing against the river currents, the waves will be bigger and more wicked because they are pushing against each other. Sometimes, just getting out away from the heaviest river currents in the lake can cut the wave height quite a bit!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.