Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:49:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Fishing help

Started by leesandt, May 08, 2017, 04:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leesandt

I am coming with my son from GEORGIA and fishing June 9-11.  I have never fished Lake st. Clair.  I would consider myself an experienced fisherman down south but have never had the chance to fish for small mouth.  I would like as much help as you are willing o give me.  I will be staying Gross Pointe, Michigan.

I would like to know of maybe some areas I should target and some depths.  I have lowrance electronics on my boat.  So if someone could point me in the direction to have the most success with small mouth that would be great.  Also would like to know what techniques I should focus on tube, jerk baitbait, spinner bait etc...  On calm days on Lake lanier we bottom fish and windy days we use moving baits.  I assume that would be true for st. clair.  I catch and release all my fish so i wont be taking any of those beauties home with me. 

Also what about boat ramps.  Can I buy a pass to launch at any ramp.  I know I need an out of state fishing license.  Is there any other kind of registration I will need or anything I will need to have on my boat so I dont get a ticket from the dnr. 

Thanks and leave me as many details and tips as you can think of and i would greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks 

t-bone

I'll start with baits - for St. Clair the mainstays are tubes and dropshots. Then depending on time of year - spring is jerkbaits and summer is crankbaits for me. Lots of guys use spinnerbaits and swimbaits as well.

I think for depths - it is similar, spring brings them up shallow to spawn and summer gets them deeper. It's been a cool spring and I think by the time you get here in early June, you can start shallow (5ft) or so and then work your way deeper until you run into them.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

djkimmel

Thanks for joining. Make sure you search the forum. Many of your questions have been answered numerous times on here. Just a few days ago we posted some information on fishing areas, lures and boat ramps info to another angler visiting from North Carolina I think. I believe that thread is in the Lake St. Clair fishing reports forum. You can find out quite a few nice pieces of information from reading the posts in that forum.

That way you won't need to wait until others possibly answer some of your questions on this thread that way. May be more bass on beds at that time this year with the delays.

A few tips for now - no powerloading on our ramps - people do it, of course, but you can get a ticket. They don't build are ramps deep enough here so powerloading undercuts the ends.

Look up Recreation Passport for the MDNR boat ramps. Cheaper to buy it ahead of time. The few other ramps are basically pay per day $10-$15.

Recommend you check your boat for Coast Guard/Michigan boating safety requirements because the Great Lakes are considered coastal waters. I don't have the links handy right now or I would post. You can find them easy with a Google search.

Subtleties are the key to finding and catching more bass on Lake St. Clair. It's a big, shallow fish bowl with lots of current. It can be a little like fishing a river at times.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.