Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:29:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Change of seasons

Started by Mojo, April 28, 2017, 05:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I've been off the site for a bit, having much of life outside of fishing taking a larger role. I missed you guys. Son is graduating, fixing his crashed truck, coaching my girl, work slammed me all winter, all the good stuff in life that makes you want to get away on the water for a while. We don't even know how lucky we are, to have the friendships and the comaraderie we share.

For some its a new discovery each lake, each year, a new technique, a 7 lb giant, or a 100 fish day. For some its winning a TX after hard practices, or AOTY, or winning big bass. And for some its the enjoyment of the outdoors, and sharing the water experience with like minded fellows.

For me its all of those things. Or the dream of those things. OR the eternal optimist that believes the correct bait, with the correct color, under the given conditions, water temp, water clarity, season and depth, cast to the right spot, WILL produce a fish EVERY cast. And if not the last cast, then definitely the next cast.

Well, the Lord has been very good to me. I've earned, experienced and He has given me about anything a man could want, and slowly, as the rules He made state, slowly, he takes away. First its the eye sight, for some its others things that stop working the older your get. Or you are slower to recover. Some don't. For me it was the waves. Thousands of crashes while in 100s of boats. Some took the shock well. Some went up the spine. Some had no console to brace yourself, and sometimes I was looking down trying to prepare for the next spot and me not preparing my body for the waves. The big water waves. The ones that crack and shake your brain.

When I got my first concussion, I came off the water dehydraded, dizzy, came home and slept 15 hours. And with glazed eyes I went to work. The next time I stopped to sleep in Toledo after a brutal trip in Sandusky. See once you get a concussion, the next one comes easier. The next one even easier. I started wearing a mouthpiece, but got lazy. Then I began wearing a neck brace, but got lazy. After a few years, I noticed I couldn't remember like I used to. I wasn't sharp, nor quick speaking what I thought. I couldn't remember.... that .... thing under my boat with wheels .... OH yes ! The trailer .... Why couldn't I remember the word ? Oh forget it I said. No biggie.  But then I couldn't remember names, and it affected my work. I done damage.

This is when I decided its time to stop the tournaments on the big water. Maybe just  1 or 2 a year. I made a mutual parting with my sponsors. Though those companies have GREAT product, we agreed I needed to be fishing in Regional, semi pro or other big tournaments. Besides, having a great day talking at the shows with my friends, the ones that matter, the ones reading this -  is more valuable than the discounts or gear.

So pass this story around. Let people know if they are coming off the water dizzy, exhausted, headaches a day after, glazed eyes, dulled memory, taste of blood in mouth in the mornings, these are all signs that you need to take serious. Its tough enough as we age that things hurt more. I cant imagine those older gentlemen who have to finally decide to stop fishing because it just hurts too much. But when you do it to yourself, that's not smart. Take precautions out there. The boater, with his hands on the wheel, is naturally braced. The coangler is not.

Its not all bad news. I think its time to get back to my roots and go exploring. I have made such great friends, I know we will get out more. Learn more, not race as fast, and I'll keep my head up and braced, because I don't need to have that line in the water before the trolling motor is down. So I just want to say guys, the boaters whom we have netted each other's fish, Thank You. Thank you for letting me in your boat. We have a good crew.

And that's something no one can take away.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

djkimmel

I hope things improve for you as you take a (much needed probably) break.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TimH

Mojo, I truly hope things start to improve for you.  Concussions are nothing to mess with and my hat is off to you for not only recognizing the effects you have been having, but for your post to make people aware of the seriousness of a concussion.  For almost eight years now I have worked for a rehabilitation provider that provides services to people who have sustained a traumatic brain injury.  During this time I have been very active with the Michigan Brain Injury Providers Council and the Brain Injury Association of Michigan.  Concussion awareness, prevention, and treatment is absolutely critical to help others identify and seek treatment for the symptoms they might be having.  Here is some other information regarding concussions that is worth taking a look at.  I encourage everyone to read this and understand the signs and symptoms of a concussion.  If you notice that you, your fishing partner or a competitor in a tournament is experiencing any of these symptoms, talk to them about it.  I know as guys we are really good at ignoring medical issues and often take the "walk it off" mentality, but with concussion, early treatment can make a huge difference later on down the road.
You May Have a Concussion If You Experience:
• Headache or pressure
• Nausea or vomiting
• Difficulty thinking
• Feeling groggy, foggy, or sluggish
• Feeling slower than normal
• Trouble falling asleep
• Fatigue
• Sleeping more or less than normal
• Numbness or tingling
• Sensitivity to light or noise
• Dizziness or issues balancing
• Feeling irritable, sad, anxious, or more emotional than normal
• Confusion or difficulty remembering
• Blurry or double vision
• Difficulties concentrating or problems thinking clearly

Someone May Have a Concussion If You Observe
• One pupil is larger than the other
• Confusion
• Clumsiness
• Convulsions or seizures
• Stunned or dazed appearance
• Sleeping more or less than normal
• Forgetfulness
• Repeats questions
• Can't recall events prior and/or after to the hit, bump, or fall
• Slowed or slurred speech
• Changes in mood or behavior, such as irritability, sadness, or anxiety
• Loss of Consciousness (even briefly)

You Can Not See a Concussion
Some concussions symptoms can may manifest themselves immediately following the injury, but others may not show up days or weeks until after the injury. It always best to see a health care professional if you think you or your child has sustained a concussion. An undiagnosed concussion can affect a person's abilities at work, school, or any other daily activities.

If you want more information on concussion and other issues relating to brain injury, visit the Brain Injury Association of Michigan website at www.biami.org.

FrickerDude

Nice write up Mojo.  I hope this year treats you well.

Tim,
Good info to people to know.  I also work at a rehab center for TBI's, it has been 17 years today to be exact.  I thank you for being active with the BIA of Michigan!
FrickerDude