Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:18:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Trailer Issue I need help with.

Started by Dan, April 15, 2017, 09:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Put my boat away last year and as I put it in storage we notice the passenger side front tire on my BassCat dual axle trailer was quite hot. Left it over the winter and about a month ago we ordered bearings from BassCat and replaced all the bearings, seals, the whole enchilada. Well went to take it home today and test drove it. Same wheel got hot again. Pulled the wheel off and checked the brakes and the drum came right off so I don't think it's a brake issue. So, we replaced the bearings, races, and seals a second time. Test drove it and it seemed hotter than ever.  Any suggestions??
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

dartag

Find a Thermal Digital Thermometer.   Pull the trailer then shoot it and see what is hot.   Still seems like a dragging brake to me.  Could be when you are pulling the trailer the surge brake is on.  Another thing maybe wheel alignment of the trailer wheels. 

Jay-MadWags

Check the cable for the emergency brake that comes out around the tongue of the trailer. See if it accidental got released. I had that happen before.
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

Dan

We suspect it's a brake and have looked at the cable but am not sure how to tell it's released. Messed with it again this morning hoping it was a cable issue. Bought a new truck and the cable doesn't have much slack so we tried pulling it without it attached and the wheel was hot again. It does appear that the drum gets hot first. Giving up. Now I have to find somewhere close that I can get it to. Stored it at my son's who lives out in the country south of Charlotte. 
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

dartag

Does the trailer have Disc Brakes.   Jack up the trailer and see if you can spin the wheel after it gets hot. 

fiker

Some trailers have a way in the tongue to disconnect the brakes.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

thedude

my old trailer had disk brakes. i just took them off - after a while it just makes more sense to just re-do the whole thing (lines and everything).  i have a 8000lb truck, so i didn't worry about it too much.
drum or disc, seems the likely culprit. If the drums were dragging and got hot, they probably warped and now drag even worse. as mentioned, jack it up and try to spin the tires. i assume they are surge brakes, the master cylinder in the tongue can get messed up and also if it has any rubber lines, they can develop bulges inside the lines which slows the brake from opening back up after you accelerate.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Dan

As always, there is great advice on this site from very knowledgeable folks. Thank you and I'll keep you posted. Problem with this whole deal the boat and trailer are in storage at my son's who lives three hours from me. He's going to see if a friend of his who works at a car dealership as a mechanic will give the brakes a look. I have asked my son to see if he would put new brake lines and brakes on. We'll see. Thanks again.

Waterfoul

Dan, I have a laser thermometer if you want to borrow it.  It works pretty slick.  Let me know and I'll toss it in my truck...
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Dan

Had a skilled old fishing partner drive 3 hours with me down to my son's where I had stored the boat for the winter. After telling him what the problem was, he too thought it was a brake hanging up. So we stopped at auto zone and got a plug for the brake line. He disconnected the line on the wheel that was getting hot and walla no more hot wheel. Drove the boat back north to White Cloud where my buddy lives and he's going to put new brake lines on and redo the brakes. I have brakes on all four wheels. Not all trailers have them on both axles. Hopefully, I'll be back on the water soon.  Thanks again for all the input from folks on this site. It is always spot on and very helpful.

djkimmel

Glad to hear you're heading in the right direction!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.