Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:00:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

First fresh air of the season and then.........

Started by TheFishinPollock, April 04, 2017, 09:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFishinPollock

And then this happened

So, in 2 weeks I will test the transom with a moisture meter and see where it is at.
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TheFishinPollock

Well a short 2 day update. The only holes that dribbled water when I took out bolts was the screw hole at the very bottom of the transom for the temp sensor. So far it has stopped. Now back to the regularly scheduled drying.................................................. :(
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TheFishinPollock

An update from the bad luck boat streak.    The water stopped dribbling about 3 weeks ago. Though I saw the finish line. Not so much :'(.   About 3 days ago, the temp sensor hole started dripping again. This time the water was clear as tap water, No brown to it at all. I was using a turkey baster to try and suck some water out and as i pushed the bulb , water burbled out of bottom bolt hole. Not good there is a void. So being the guy I am i turned the air compressor down to 20 psi, grabbed a sprayer nozzle, and gave it a blast. More came out of the bolt hole and out of a trim piece hole at the top of the transom. I gave it a air blast from that trim hole and out shot water. Clear as gin. pushed the lamps back on it and waited a week. Still dripping water. Taped the shop vac to it today and let it run all day trying to suck out any water through the hole that built up as the lamp sweated it out.
   Now the really bad news. 
I have run out of time on this project. Starting the 27th . I have our first tournament of the season. I can't miss them or I won't qualify for the classic's. So as of next Sunday. The brass drain tubes and jack plate have to be mounted. I want a few days before I hang the motor on the plate to let the 4200 seal up properly. I have to start rerigging this coming weekend because I want to make sure I get it out on the water for a shakedown and check of the first tournament's lake system. 
   Next year I was redoing the trailer top to bottom, but that will have to wait because I am going to do a pourable seacast transom in this boat. I am sure whatever moisture that is left in the transom, or wherever it is comming from will eventually rot out the transom beyond being able to heat lamp it and dry it out. 
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

dartag

Sadly what you have is a big sponge.  You will never get all the water out.  I had an older Mastercraft Ski Boat with wood stringers that had the same problem.   Only real fix is cut it apart and replace everything inside.   Or just run it and make sure you have good insurance in case the back of the boat falls off. 

djkimmel

Not sure about the second option...?? Good luck sorting it out!

TheFishinPollock

Actually Steve. Many Champs have been dried out successfully in the transom. Not sure if it is in the stringer or foam. I can't afford to go cutting into it to be honest. So, I have no choice but to seal it all up good and hope it lasts the year. Which I am sure it will. There are no weird sounds when tapping on the transom.  But it does have fantastic insurance.

The seacast pourable transom's Dan. I have talked to a lot of people that have and they flat out said it is almost better and in some instance thought it was better than wood or colusa board replacement.

1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Waterfoul

I have a customer who does this for a living.  The company is called Drybote.  They do awesome work without ripping all the gellcoat/fiberglass off.  Might look them up, he travels the country and has some outfits in other states as well.

OR... looks like you have a motor you're not using.... I have a boat with no motor.  Wanna "loan" it to me for the summer?   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

TheFishinPollock

Rent you mean Mike? lol  Did you lean out and smoke one of the cylinders? I know on a FB  page i see a lot of motors up for sale in what seems good shape.

Actually it is going back together Monday or Tuesday.  The water has stopped . I used an unconventional idea and it seemed to work. I taped a shop vac to the hole, turned it on,  and left it for 2 days. Cranked up the infrared lamps. Now 4 days or so later. No water dripping.  Probably not all the way dry, maybe, who knows at this point. But it has to get put back together.
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Waterfoul

Quote from: TheFishinPollock on May 13, 2017, 09:36:06 PM
Rent you mean Mike? lol  Did you lean out and smoke one of the cylinders? I know on a FB  page i see a lot of motors up for sale in what seems good shape.

Actually it is going back together Monday or Tuesday.  The water has stopped . I used an unconventional idea and it seemed to work. I taped a shop vac to the hole, turned it on,  and left it for 2 days. Cranked up the infrared lamps. Now 4 days or so later. No water dripping.  Probably not all the way dry, maybe, who knows at this point. But it has to get put back together.

Not actually sure what happened to mine.  #2 got stuck.  It's scored up and the rings are pretty much gone.  My motor guy says I probably lost cooling water but the alarm didn't go off.  Bad sensor or alarm buzzer I guess.

Where are you seeing these motors for sale?  I've not been able to find a decent one anywhere near Michigan.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

TheFishinPollock

Bass boats, motors & accessories for sale or trade:::: on facebook. It is a closed group unless you ask to join it. Lots of good stuffs on there Mike
here is also C&O marine in tenn that does shipping and trade ins and European marine. Talk to a guy named don weed.
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc