Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:15:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Boat Batteries

Started by Dan, April 04, 2017, 08:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Need two trolling motor batteries and a starting battery. 31s. Have had Dekas but am open minded. Where are the best prices?
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

stackenem

Stick with the Deka's. Had mine for 5 years and still going strong!!!
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

thedude

i've never had any TM battery last more than 3 seasons - everstart, interstate, deka, optima, meijer (duracell), etc.
I've been using meijer batterys because they are cheap and last as long as everything else.

For a cranking battery - i would recommend a deka 31 AGM however. If your not running a newer engine, you can get by with a smaller battery.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

thedude

A1 Electric on Turner ave in GR has a house brand by deka (agm and regular lead/acid) that is the best pricing i've found on them also.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

dartag

I would also say stick with Deka's.   I did have a 2 year old one have a dead cell last year.  They pro-rated the warranty no questions asked.   

Jay-MadWags

I got 4 seasons out of 3 interstate TM batteries and cranker battery.
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

djkimmel

I've used Deka only for almost 15 years now with no failures and at least 5 years out of each set even when I was fishing 130+ days a year in many campgrounds. I use 3 wet cell 31s. One as a starting electronics battery, and also as the 3rd in series for the rare times I use 36 volt (have a 24/36 volt motor).

I was leery for years about store brands because I didn't always know who made them, and it changes sometimes from year-to-year. Had a lot of inconsistent and usually the worst luck at the worst time with unknown brand batteries.

Having enough electricity for a full day of any kind of fishing is too important to take chances with unknown batteries, is my opinion. Been nice to not have that concern all these years since I switched to Deka.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Jay-MadWags

Quote from: Jay-MadWags on April 04, 2017, 03:53:42 PM
I got 4 seasons out of 3 interstate TM batteries and cranker battery.

I probably could have gotten almost 5 years but I did not want to be stuck in the middle of Clair and find out I need new batteries. I run a 2012 Skeeter FX20 it a 250 SHO and Fortrex.
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

Firefighter Jeff

I agree with Justin (The Dude)  I ran Interstate and wasn't all that impressed.  The last sets of batteries I have purchased were from Walmart.  I did have a issue with a couple and they also were prorated and replaced.  I'm sure you can't go wrong with Deka or other top names.  It's just what I run.

oldjigger

also  there is  always  a walmart around no matter where you are

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: oldjigger on April 05, 2017, 02:42:49 AM
also  there is  always  a walmart around no matter where you are

This is true but not all have a decent selection of marine batteries.  I've looked around trying to find the latest manufacture dates.

Dan

Ended up getting three batteries from A-1 Electric on Turner in Grand Rapids. Hopefully, I'll get a number of years out of them. Now all I have to do is get my trailer operational and maybe I can get in the water.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

dartag

Noticed the last 3 times out this year my TM batteries were weak after 5 hours.  Checked and they are 5 years old.  Got 2 new Deka 31's yesterday so I am all set for 5 more years.   

yukonjack2

cranker depends on a few variables - what year is your motor?  If you have an older stator type, then you should run a lead acid and not an AGM, gel, or lithium.  theses types get run down too far yet can still crank your motor - then when charging it can overheat the rectifier and burn it out. 

I would suggest whatever type you get which is correct for your motor type, get at least 1000 CCA.  this will ensure you can start, run pumps, livewells, and all the bigger screen electronics all day without worry of running your battery down.
Get the biggest one you can fit in your compartment - Gr31 is suggested.

MY $0.02!
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

t-bone

Steve - where did you buy your Dekas? I'm probably going to at least get a cranking battery soon. Looking for a local store!

Quote from: dartag on April 20, 2017, 10:24:22 AM
Noticed the last 3 times out this year my TM batteries were weak after 5 hours.  Checked and they are 5 years old.  Got 2 new Deka 31's yesterday so I am all set for 5 more years.   
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

dartag

Discount Battery.   Union Lake and Willow road.  Yellow Building.   They are a Deka dealer.  I have bought batteries there for years. 

Skulley

I have Deka Marine Master Group 31 on my boat.  I also have one Group 31 for my travel trailer.  Deka Batteries are made both in Pennsylvania and Iowa by a company called East Penn Manufacturing.  The automotive applications are preferred by the employees of where I work.  I work in the Electrical/Electronics are of Engineering there.  The battery guys at work will tell you that they are the only USA made battery on the market which they are including the marine applications.  There are Deka Batteries that are made in Mexico.  Don't buy those.  They are not made the same.  The USA Dekas are much better made.  It would take me too many paragraphs to explain the build process of these batteries.  The marine applications are also sold by other names in other stores for less money if you know where to buy them.  You can PM me for more information.  This information I'm sharing is not available on the East Penn Manufacturing website.  Here is a link to the site which will give you some information.  The website tells you where locally in this area you can buy the Deka Batteries but I guarantee you'll be paying more than I did for the exact same battery made in the same plant.  It just will not have the Deka name on it.  The website does not give you retailers that sell their product, just their outlets of which there are three (3) here in Michigan.  http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/

It's all I run any more in my boat and camper.  I also have an East Penn in my trucks meaning my 1500 and my 2500.  Very dependable.  Best I've ever owned and would never buy anything else.

BD                            ;D

If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com