Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:40:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Ned rig set up

Started by fiker, March 18, 2017, 10:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiker

I had enough success with the Ned rig last year thar I'm going to add a dedicated rod for it to my arsenal.
I'm thinking a ml light spinning with a 7' rod and a fast tip. Fluorocarbon 6 or 8# line.   I'm curious as to what the rest of you have found success with.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Dave B

I took a quanton 2 piece rod and real door prize that i won. I think it is a medium action and 12lb mono i laying around and I  could not put it down in sept and october. Cant wait to pull it back out.

detroit1

I haven't nedded (?) yet, but bought some heads and baits this winter, and am eager to try it out. Sounds like that set-up would work. I don't spin with floro, so it'll be mono for me...good luck
WAVE THERAPY

dartag

Tired it on my lake last fall for 30 minutes,  Nothing.  Picked up the Drop Shot and caught fish.   Guess I am going to have to do like I did with Drop Shot and Jig fishing.   Leave all the other rods and home and take a couple rigged with the Ned.    I know they work.

WishingIwasfishing

Quote from: detroit1 on March 18, 2017, 05:06:49 PM
I haven't nedded (?) yet, but bought some heads and baits this winter, and am eager to try it out. Sounds like that set-up would work. I don't spin with floro, so it'll be mono for me...good luck

I also picked some up this winter. If anyone can share more on line weights and type(I also will not floro with spinning equipment), and different set ups it would be great. I will be fishing for smallmouth if that matters? Anyone fish it later in the summer out deep with these?

fiker

I most often use braid with a fluoro leader.  Do you guys not use fluoro on spinning due to line twist or what?

LAPORTE

Rick

Can you post a picture if you setup ? any bait type, I would like to see what kind of hook/ jig to use and how the bait is on the hook. is the ned rig the same thing Jessie Wiggins was throwing earlier in the year on the elite series? 
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

fiker

I use z-man jig heads and TRDs.   Some guys use 1/2 a senko / stick bait and a mushroom head jig.
  I use 3/32 or 1/16 weights most of the time.  I will use 1/8th weight if it's windy and / or I'm deep.

djkimmel

I've been using light mushroom-head jigheads with a short perfect plastics stick or half a regular stick worm. 6 pound test P-Line HALO or Fluorocarbon on a 7 or 7 1/2 foot medium light spinning rig. I catch bass on it and the walleye often seem to like it on some lakes too.

I don't have a lot of line twist problems most of the time with Fluorocarbon on spinning reels. After a cast, I always grab the line just in front of the reel and pull it tight after flipping the bail before starting my retrieve. I do it now without really thinking about it or noticing I'm doing it most of the time. Seems to help reduce line twist quite a bit.

The Ned rig isn't one of my top rigs yet. I'm still working it into my fishing 'arsenal.' I still catch more bass on other rigs but some of the really good bass anglers are using the Ned rig quite a bit.

It has a place in your arsenal for some approaches I think but like any rig sometimes anglers get too caught up in a rig, using it when something else might work better. A recent spring I fished with a number of anglers on Lake St. Clair who are big Ned rig fans (some of them know him personally I believe). I did much better on bedding and prespawn smallmouth bass spot-casting and snapping various tube lures. They had some questions for me as to how I was able to do that when the tube 'has been seen to much by too many bass!'

I think those days it was more important to get your lure close to exactly where the smallmouth bass were holding than what exactly 'finesse' technique you were using. I was able to get in front of more bass faster with my tubes. That's all, I think.

But if I find a bass that doesn't seem to want to bite a tube well I might pick up a Ned rig to follow up though I'm probably more likely to choose a drop shot or Neko rig first at the moment.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.