Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:32:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New Lake for us - Middle Straits Lake 11-1-2016

Started by djkimmel, December 17, 2016, 10:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

After seeing some fairly good tournament results recently from it, Derek and I decided to give Middle Straits Lake a try. We'd never been there before. Interesting lake but we didn't really figure it out this fall day of November 1.

We started near the boat ramp and just worked our way around without much to show for it.

Finally around late morning I switched to a small, medium diving LC jerkbait and caught a dink from weeds near the end of a big point.

We worked our way down that point and finally got on a few bass!

The jerkbait worked for me on a small keeper bass from the inside of the weedline on the side of the point and from the flat almost to the shoreline end of the point.

A few minutes later from the shoreline edge of the weeds near the same point I got whacked by another respectable keeper bass from a hole in the weedline.

We worked that point again and Derek caught a few pitching his little grub combo inside the weedline. Unfortunately for me I started getting on the pike and a fat pike stole my good jerkbait from me by ramming the snap into the back of the boat and snapping it open! I had my hands on the pike but you know how slippery they are!

After I lost my jerkbait I didn't get anymore bites from keeper bass. Again, we probably should have gone through that point a few more times but we wanted to see the rest of the lake, plus we got a hot tip from dartag (Thanks!) and wanted to try that. We just couldn't make anything else work anywhere else though we saw plenty of good weeds and drops. It just seemed like an off day.

It was fishing and it was still fun though. We'll probably go back some day and try it again because it seemed like an interesting lake!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

YpsiBass

Good topwater lake in the summer.  Good bullet craw lake too.  Drop shot works too.  Haven't been there in the fall, but surprised you didn't catch many.  Largemouth and smallmouth in good sizes.

djkimmel

We were doing something wrong I guess considering other fishing reports. We'll probably give it another shot.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

You need to take Mrs Wilbur out there.  She fished with me on one of our Thursday morning events.  We caught a couple nice keepers off my spots.  I took her to a spot that I knew would work for the way she fishes.  She proceeded to put a whoopin on the largemouth.  I just netted them and culled back at the livewell.  Think we had a little over 15 pounds in 4 hours.   She is my hero out there.

detroit1

For such a small lake, it has some big lm, sm, and pike. 44.5" pike was my biggest. A friendly reminder..the ramp officially closes Nov. 1.
WAVE THERAPY

djkimmel

Yeah - we saw that on the sign when we got there. Glad they didn't lock us in or something.