Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:55:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2006 BFL Michigan Schedule

Started by djkimmel, December 17, 2005, 11:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmcfarland

Hi guys i live on Crooked River in Alanson. Last year you still could run wide open through some areas of the river. Indian River is a no wake river. Im not sure about the Cheboygan river. From what ive seen Mullet is probably the best lake in the bunch. I think it will take between 25 and 30lbs to win if conditions arent bad. If the wind is blowing hard that could change things pretty quick. I only know of a couple of good spots in the rivers. I guess that cheboygan river can be pretty good from what i hear. I havent ever fished it. Best of luck to all. If anybody wants a practice partner let me know.

rudycard72

how long would you say the run is from burt to crooked. and how is the largemouth population in those smaller lakes????????

djkimmel

I've never made the run all the way from Burt to Crooked myself. I've been through the lock a couple times - takes about 15 minutes give or take a few. If you can still run parts of the river, maybe the whole thing takes an hour, plus the run across Burt and the combination no-wake/no high speed boating drive through the Indian River. I would do a 'dry' run to check it if I were thinking seriously about running there.

Maybe Jmcfarland can give a better time - I'm thinking I've heard and hour and 45 minutes one way in the past. I would confirm the lock is consistently operated.

There's a respectable largemouth population in Crooked. A few in Pickerel. Some big fish, but mostly 2 1/2 or less. You can find some small pockets of the dumbest largemouths you'll ever find.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Jmcfarland

The river usually isnt that busy that time of year. The lock is opened consistently everyday. I would definatly take a practice run to see how long it takes. There are some big fish in both crooked and pickeral. The largemouth fishing is better in crooked than in pickeral. It would be a pretty long trip through the rivers in order to get there. I dont know if I would try it or not.

djkimmel

BTW, did I already mention we have a new tournament director this year?

His name is Anthony Wright. He has been with FLW Outdoors for about 5 years I believe and has been doing EverStart Series most recently.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dcain

Quote from: dartag on December 19, 2005, 06:12:50 AM
curious which lake is better bass fishing burt / mullet..? ?i have cruised the chain of lakes from crooked to lake huron but never fished..? ?still trying to decide if i want to fish BFL.?

grasslakebasspro

Any boater looking for a co-angler to sign up with for all of the Michigan BFL's this year?

I may have a co-angler if you are...email me at grasslakebasspro@yahoo.com.

dartag

got my confirmations so i am all set.. 

thanks

yukonjack2

I am looking for a co-angler to sign up with - send me his info please!

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

djkimmel

You might want to email him Jack - he doesn't get on here every day.

yukonjack2

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

dartag

you can sign up even if you don't have a co-angler if you get one you can call back and give them the number....  looks like they have lots of co-anglers since i only signed up for 2 and got confirmed in about 2 weeks..

good luck.. see ya on the water  ( or at hooters )

steve smith

djkimmel

You aren't guaranteed though unless you give them an actual co-angler name so best if you can do that.

jimbodine

I am really disappointed in this years schedule. Burt & Mullet is an awesome fishery but it is such a drive for some anglers. In addition, the Super Tournament is the same week as the Stren Series. Albiet, there will only be a handful of Stren anglers going out on Sat, I believe the water will be totally trashed for the BFL guys. IMHO, the Bassmasters Weekend Series is a much better fit for me. I have qualified for the BFL Regional two times in a row, but feel BASS really has the better schedule.

djkimmel

I think it really helps in our short season that the new Bassmaster Series worked with the BFL to avoid any direct conflicts.

Burt/Mullett is a good drive, but the fishing will make up for it and some divisions have drives that are commonly this long or longer for fishing sometimes that isn't as good as this will be. I'm much happier fishing great water somewhere different than Erie for one of the tournaments.

Beautiful area. Beautiful water and awesome fish. It will be worth it.

Dan

Just got a call from a fishing buddy who wants to sign up for the Sept 9 River event. Wants me to sign up as a nonboater with him. I know the entry fee for a nonboater is around $250. How much more will it cost in terms of gas money as a nonboater. Is $50 enough to give a boater. I know many will probably run to the St. Clair River and that's a haul. I'm kind of strapped for cash and trying to consider this on a shoe string. Is it a two day tournament or one? Never fished a BFL event.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

Maybe this will help - co-angler entry is $150. As far as the rider fee, I would offer $40. Most boaters will readily accept that.

The one snag I see is that it is past priority deadline so there is no guaranty they will honor you signing up together to guaranty each other. Priority deadline for this event was 8/22. You can ask when you both sign up and see what they say.

Late fee started yesterday - +$25. They may or may not waive it depending on participation and the tournament directors wishes.

Dan

Thanks for the info, but I was confusing the BFL with the Stren. I talked to him again and he's fishing the Stren Series event on 9/5 and I guess it's $350 for the nonboater. Newly retired I have to wait and see if I can live off the new check. Only got one so far so it's hard to tell.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."