Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:11:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Like me some Loon Lake 11-18-2016

Started by djkimmel, December 18, 2016, 01:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

For this week's trip, Derek and I picked Loon Lake in Oakland County because it looked interesting, we'd never been there and it was said to have both largemouth and smallmouth bass in it. I'm very happy with this pick!

I don't think we figured it out real well but we caught a few fish and the short report is that they were all solid, good ones!

One other thing we learned about Loon Lake pretty fast that it has a healthy population of full-grown Northern Pike! YOUCH!

The catching didn't take long this morning! We were working our way out a point right by the boat ramp when Derek hooked a solid fish on his spinnerbait! He pulled up a really nice largemouth bass!

Before he even had the bass in his hand I hooked up solid on a bream colored Strike King KVD 2.5 shallow crankbait I cast back along the point to a thick weed clump!

Unfortunately, the water was roiled up by the swirl of a big gator instead of a bass - a theme that would repeat itself several times on this day!

I hand landed an easy keeper Northern Pike gator moments later after a bulldogging fight. This was not my biggest gator of the day! oh boy...

We fished around more drops, the mouth of the river and out on to another point without any action. Things picked up again when we got on top of the point out into the lake though.

Derek hooked a bigger pike on his spinnerbait that I hand landed again. Then I got slammed by a yet bigger pike on my Kustom Kicker spinnerbait that took off behind the boat stripping out line before I lost the big pike when it turned sideways and did some big head shakes! Part of me wanted to beat the fish by landing it, and part of me was glad it was gone!

Out near the end of the point Derek got hammered again on his spinnerbait. We first thought it was another pike but it boiled near the boat and we saw it was another very solid largemouth bass!

We didn't get anymore bites on that point and moved on down the lake some more. For a little while not much happened and we weren't seeing much sign of life. I noticed the other end of the lake looked more like weed clumpy smallmouth water and good jerkbait targets so I switched to a Ghost Minnow LC Pointer and started snapping it along the weed edge.

We were in a hole in the other end of the lake that had lit up on the graph and showed tons of fish out in water over 20 feet deep so I put down the jerkbait and threw a blade bait. Nothing on that but we got by the break again and Derek made one cast with a Bullet Craw on a jighead only to get bit off hard!

We moved back towards the open lake and I made cast into some open water on a moderate depth flat along the steep break with the jerkbait again. I just started to snap it along when it went WANG on me! Solid fish with some nice head-shaking and then it jumped clear of the water! Big inland lake smallmouth bass - yes!!!

This made me feel a lot better to fight a really nice smallie to the boat and land it. We tried hard in that general area (the wind was blowing pretty good making it challenging to stick to an area) to get another bit but failed. Almost like the bass was a loner?!?

We started moving along the steep break again alternating casts out deep, parallel to the break and up on to the flat. I happened to look down seeing an object. The water is dark and tannic so though it is fairly clear it isn't real easy to see far. I thought I saw a fish next to the object that looked like a small part of a stump.

We were already too close for comfort and sure enough it was a fish as it started coasting away back up on to the flat further and away from us. BIG smallie! I mean a whopper! Because of the water color I can't be 100% sure but it looked and acted like a bass not a carp and it was way bigger than the one I had caught earlier. Got my heart pumping.

The big fish pulled a vanishing act - not hard to do in the dark water and with the strong wind blowing us around! But we kept our eyes open for more and tried be more alert to bass just sitting there.

We were working our way down a very steep drop close to shore when a bass came at a steep angle up out of the depths heading straight for my jerkbait. It wasn't coming fast but it appeared to be on a mission. I stopped the jerkbait right next to the boat and the bass ATE IT!!! Yes!

I set the hook and went toe-to-toe with a slightly lethargic but big inland lake smallmouth bass! Got it in the boat after a short but fun, fun fight. What another nice bass and to have it at Derek's feet maybe 2 feet from the side of the boat was all the more exciting!!!

We fished that area heard without another sign of a bass... and then moved along the shore. We even hit some docks in an effort to figure them out better. We weren't catching a lot of course but everything was really solid and nice!

We came around a corner in the break running right down the steep break when I saw some more wood on the bottom about 20 feet from the break. There's 3 BIG smallies just sitting there! They didn't seem spooked yet but they acted like they were too aware of our presence...

They slowly glided down the bottom to the break and out into deep water. I tried hard not to make noise or sudden movements thinking how that last bass had hit at the boat like it wasn't there!

I went a short way down the edge and then turned around. When I worked my way back - no hits - but I saw 2 of the bass sitting down the break almost out of sight - so they hadn't gone far. We tried to entice them to bite but they just ghosted away into deeper water... darn! So close!

We never went back to those fish and I wish we had but Loon Lake is actually pretty complex so we found plenty of new things to fish and wanted to see as much of the lake as possible.

Later, we had another really nice smallie come up out of deeper water after Derek's lure but it didn't hit and that was our last bit of action.

So we didn't catch and bunch but we were both happy with the average. Even the pike were all easy keepers, if you're into pike. So yes, we put Loon Lake high up on the 'must return later' list for next year. We think we can zero in to the bass a little better next time maybe. Fun!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

21XDC

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Jay-MadWags

Loon is a great lake for summer topwater action too.
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

djkimmel