Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:25:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Im going to buy a Tracker Pro Team 195. Talk me out of it.

Started by skyshark425, November 16, 2016, 01:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyshark425

Or further into it.

For that last three or four years I have been fishing out of a kayak.  Love it but I tend to stare out at all of the water I could be fishing and have decided its time to buy a bass boat.  I have chosen a Tracker Pro Team 195 for these reasons;

Aluminum.  I break things.  Also, I have no experience running a boat from a front trolling motor.  Bumping into things isn't as big a deal in aluminum.  the sales manager at D&R told me that its basically $1000 everytime a glass boat gets cracked.

Weight.  I will most likely be fishing alone at least 50% of the time and consider this to be a plus when launching etc.

Stability.  My girlfriend looooves to fish a lot.  We're at it most weekends the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a boat yet is the fact that she gets motion sickness very easily.  My plan is to fish inland lakes with her where the big motor isn't ever turned on and we just use the motor on front.  One of the sales guys at D&R told me that this boat is as stable as many glass boats due to the wide front deck.

Cost.  It looks like even with the current price of $26k that a similar fiberglass boat is at least $10k more.  at this point im not planning on tournament fishing which may be famous last words as I said the same thing about shooting pistols competitively and now I do that a ton but this boat seems to be a good beginner boat that may be able to go out on big water if weather allows.

So.  I plan on purchasing sometime aprilesh.  Till then Im doing my homework.

Your opinions will be weighed.  I thank you for any responses.

YpsiBass

Would really suggest riding (and fishing) in a similar boat first.  It's surprising the number of things that you take for granted or don't even think about on a boat.

Also, you can get a really good used fiberglass bass boat for $26k EASY.  As anyone on this site can tell you, I'm very rough on things and I've yet to crack the glass on my '95 Stratos. I haven't had anything resembling a weight problem either. Get a good winch and it's a non-issue.

Don't forget electronics (standard sonar vs down vs side imaging).  Try different trolling motors (cable vs. electric steer). If you're really researching boats, head over to bbcboards.net.  Lots of different opinions on just about every make and model.

Don't forget to set aside at least 2x the money you think you need because something always breaks. Always.

Firefighter Jeff

I agree with Ypsi.  No worries on causing damage to the fiberglass.  You'd really have to be fishing shallow rocky areas to worry much about that.  I do remember being nervous the first fiberglass I bought after owning a Basstracker Pro 17.  But once you learn what the boat will float over it'll be a piece of cake.
   The wider the boat the more stable it'll be.  And you can get a really nice used boat for that money.  I remember thinking it felt like I was moving up from a Volkswagen to a Cadillac when I went from the aluminum to the glass. Keep researching but don't get overwhelmed.  Good luck and have fun !!!

32eml24

resale value is another realistic consideration in glass vs. aluminum bass boats.

26k could buy you a decked out glass boat that would put a new aluminum to shame in my opinion.  Unless you're ramping logs in a river somewhere there's a reason most bass fisherman opt for the fiberglass models.

Dave B

I went through the same thing june. I was looking at the tracker 195, ranger alum and the Z18.
They all have plus' s. The tracker is nice, the ranger is nicer. I would have probably went the ranger, it was difficult for me to get up from the console. I am 6-4 leg room was a issue. It also came down to finacing with my bank. D and R was able to get me better rate and more $$$. Compared to what I was able to get thru my credit union. So I ended up getting a Z18 with some nice upgrades. One last thing take into acct what you are towing the boat with and where you are fishing and if you are doing tournament's.

dartag

That is beautiful boat for your first one.  I would say if you can afford it go for it.   Good thing is it will be under warranty for quite a while.  You will  ding it,  hit stuff on the lake bottom.  That is all part of new boat ownership.   If you are not a mechanic buying a used boat can be a nightmare.  Inheriting someone else's problems is no fun.

Go SLOW if you don't know the water and respect the weather.   

Have fun and post some photos when you catch the Big ones.

skyshark425

Congrats!  It worked.  Just bought an 04 Ranger 185.  I think its a DVS.  Seriously in love with this boat.  Its gorgeous.  Thanks for the advice.  Saving money and getting better electronics and trolling motor.  My next question will be how to fish out of this thing, not sure I can cast without sitting at water level.  Thanks for the advice to everyone it helped.

DennisB.

For what its worth, I've had two trackers ( never a 195 ) I've also had a skeeter, champion, gambler, G3 and my current boat is an Xpress. For what you've described it would do fine but I would not overlook the Ranger RT 188. The fit and finish alone and the differences are notable. I am getting ready to go back to a Glass boat myself because I lose a lot of days fishing when it gets breezy. I don't care what anyone says my experience has been that aluminium blows around like a leaf compared to glass. Boat control is everything..... everything. Light weight and flat sides have screwed me pretty hard these last few years. If I where gonna be buying another aluminium and fish only smaller inland water that RT 188 would be the ticket. Good luck!

DennisB.

Quote from: skyshark425 on November 21, 2016, 04:47:03 PM
Congrats!  It worked.  Just bought an 04 Ranger 185.  I think its a DVS.  Seriously in love with this boat.  Its gorgeous.  Thanks for the advice.  Saving money and getting better electronics and trolling motor.  My next question will be how to fish out of this thing, not sure I can cast without sitting at water level.  Thanks for the advice to everyone it helped.

Nice!! I was typing at the same time as you. You will love that boat.

dartag

Great choice.  I have a 2002 185 VS.   Have had mine since 2004. 

spinnerbation

One thing I will point out about investing in Fiberglass boats. Newer boats come with heightened cost due to less depreciation and newer technology. However, for your particular plight I would suggest looking at an older boat that has been restored or kept in good condition for this reason alone:

I have been told by a seasoned veteran angler who's been fishing T's for a long time (won't name names but he knows his stuff) that newer bass boats will tend to crack and break more easily than older boats. Somewhere in the mid 90's (maybe even earlier or later don't quote me on the period) the EPA cracked down on Boat / Trailer manufacturers about the types of materials / resins & procedures used in the molding process for hulls, shells etc.

As a result Boats manufactured before these changes tend to be stronger and longer lasting. Hence why you see them still being used and seemingly not as affected by getting the "you know what" beat out of them. Keep in mind this is just a generalization and won't apply to all boats manufactured before or after this change. But it's something to consider.

What I am getting at is that fiberglass boats of that era generally speaking can take a beating. And anything you do to hurt them will be severe enough that it will hurt an aluminum as well. So frequency or severity of the incident is probably less of a consideration than cost of repair. I don't have the numbers but I do tend to believe that repaired fiberglass and resin should tend to hold up better long term than ripped or torn aluminum shell.

As for Weight, Stability and Cost here is my take for each....

Overall Weight will likely give you an advantage in Fuel Economy and Towing Mileage. However, consider if light weight is more important than Stability because when one goes down typically so does the other. In other words the more weight in the boat, the more energy needed in the wave to move it as a general rule.

Stability will depend primarily on hull design, but as indicated above weight is also a factor. In my experience with tin cans an aluminum hull with a Modified V Style (that is similar to hulls found on bass boats) instead of a flat or deep V  will provide the best stability while running or standing on the decks.

Cost, as stated, you can get comparable rigs in both Aluminum or Glass if you're patient enough to wait for the right deal in the specs you're looking for. Unless you're buying brand new where there is absolutely a cost benefit to Aluminum.

My honest opinion, best advise I've read on this thread is do some ride alongs if you're able to. There's a LOT of things you'd never even think of until you experience it.