Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:40:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Another Dropshot Question

Started by Durand Dan, January 31, 2008, 05:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiker

I used XPS fluoro a couple of years ago and I liked it.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

djkimmel

Most people seem to like the XPS. I had not heard about Gamma making it, but it is possible. Someone is making it for them. The past XPS I tried did not seem like Gamma, but that is always subject to change.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

Quote from: djkimmel on February 21, 2008, 12:56:06 AM
Most people seem to like the XPS. I had not heard about Gamma making it, but it is possible. Someone is making it for them. The past XPS I tried did not seem like Gamma, but that is always subject to change.

Now I'm being told by another (on the pro staff with Gamma) that they do NOT make the XPS line.  So maybe this will be THE line for me??  :D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

thedude

never thought i'd see the day when Mike "Gamma Rules" Ozinga strayed to another brand  ;D

West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

Quote from: thedude on February 22, 2008, 08:44:15 PM
never thought i'd see the day when Mike "Gamma Rules" Ozinga strayed to another brand  ;D

Dude.... NO last names!  Gotta protect the insolent!!  Or is it innocent?  No matter....

Actually... if I wanna fish MONO I throw Gamma Co-polymer instead... and I really only do that on salmon and steelie gear now.  In fact... I just picked up 2 spools of Halo at Al and Bob's
Customer Appreciation Sale Thursday... 10% off plus a $6 rebate.  Plan on putting it on a couple of my spinning reels that have braid on them and see how it works for me.... Came highly recommended.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Skulley

I'm still using mono............. 8)

BD               ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

jgip087

First of all Gamma does not make XPS. Gamma is altered at the molecular level to be twined like rope and it gives it superior strength and less memory. I've used it ever since the Grand Rapids Ultimate Fishing Show a few years back and I'm using pretty much 4 and 6 pound test now because of its strength at a smaller diameter. Also, 1-Jav you talked me into joining this site again too, now to balance both quickly in my spare time lol Nice seeing you at D and R
www.sure-life.com - please help ensure the
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

Waterfoul

Quote from: UAWBigDog on February 24, 2008, 07:58:50 PM
I'm still using mono............. 8)

BD               ;D

You keep on using mono... it's nice to keep the competition in the dark on what is better these days!!

Skulley

QuoteYou keep on using mono... it's nice to keep the competition in the dark on what is better these days!!

What do you mean Waterfoul??  I am not taking it like you are bashing me for maybe using what some people may consider obsolete.  I guess I miss your point.  Please explain.........

I guess I keep using mono because I am not convinced that any of these super lines are any better than mono.  I believe that I still can put fish in the boat and not risk any more breakoffs than a guy using super line.  In other words, when I went out to Askin's Point that day last fall with Mojo and Revtro, I caught over fifty (50) quality smallies that day.  My best five would have been over 20lbs.  I don't actually know what Revtro and Mojo were using for line but there are a lot of other factors to what puts fish in the boat.  It is not all in the line as I know you well know.  If they were using any of the superlines and we could ask them, did they catch any more fish or any less fish than I did.  They went deep and I went shallow after we fished in the same are for a couple of hours.  When I went shallow, I was on them for the rest of the day.  They didn't catch anything deep.  I caught them shallow from the time I got to the spot until I left them at 1330 hours that day.  I don't know how they did after I left but they could have caught just as many as I did in the same time.   ???   So now tell me what makes one line better than the other because I am not convinced that super lines are any better than mono.   ???   Just my thoughts.   ???  I don't have a fishing line sponsor and maybe not being convinced is why I have never pursued one. 

BD          ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Waterfoul

All tongue-in-cheek  :)

I started drop shotting with mono at the beginning of last season.  Caught some fish.  Then I switched to floro and although it is more sensitive I just couldn't handle the line twist issues it brought on.  So I switched to a light poundage braid (12 or 14 lb I believe... I'd have to look at the package... but VERY thin line) with a 6' floro leader and I definitely noticed my catch rate went up.  The line is sooooo sensitive you can feel a fish breath on the bait!  I know I'm catching more fish using this method.  But that's just me.  I would never tell anyone what line the HAVE to use.  If you like mono by all means keep throwing it.

I just figured that if you and I ever met in a tourney I believe I would have the advantage with the more sensitive line.  The only rod I use mono on for a tourney is my spinnerbait rod.  I just like braided line I guess.   ;D

Skulley

Quote from: Waterfoul on March 28, 2008, 07:22:30 PM

I just figured that if you and I ever met in a tourney I believe I would have the advantage with the more sensitive line.  The only rod I use mono on for a tourney is my spinnerbait rod.  I just like braided line I guess.   ;D

Only if the bite was tough...............maybe................ 8)

BD           ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com