Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:35:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Another Dropshot Question

Started by Durand Dan, January 31, 2008, 05:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durand Dan

This may have been ecplained before. I was rereading the 2007-2008 MDNR rules for fishing and noticed somthing I had never really paid attention to.
Dropshotting using a main line mounted hook above a weight is illegal in Drownded River Mouths. They list Muskegeon, White and Pentwater among others. Are they refering to the lakes, or am I reading it wrong?

Waterfoul

They are refering to the lake.  Most people get around this buy using a jig on the bottom for a weight.  I also know a couple guys who just don't worry about it.  I asked a CO directly about this and he said the law is aimed at salmon snaggers and any bass fisherman fishing the dropshot in the drowned river mouth lakes would not be hassled.  I guess if you wanted to get really technical about it the upper hook is supposed to be on a leader with a minimum length of 3" (I think).  If you do this you don't need to use anything other than a weight/sinker on the bottom.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Drop shot is illegal in inland rivers and the west side drowned river mouths. The only way to be legal on those waters is to use the 3" dropper.

As long as you aren't snagging or in a tournament, I wouldn't expect any CO to ticket you, but they could if something else drove them to it.

The story behind this, and the details are all on the Conservation board below if you ever feel like reading them.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Berkley

So the impoundments in portland and lansing on the grand river you would need a dropper?

Waterfoul

Quote from: Berkley on February 01, 2008, 02:14:35 PM
So the impoundments in portland and lansing on the grand river you would need a dropper?

Yes.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

Nothing more difinitive than a one word answer.  Yes.  No.  Leaves nothing to argue about!  LOL!!!  Now, if it only worked on kids...... :'(

djkimmel

Waterfoul

Quote from: djkimmel on February 03, 2008, 01:18:15 PM
Good luck with that!!!

For my girlfriends daughter (4 1/2 yo) the most dreaded words are:

"Time for bed"

This always, 100% of the time evokes the "but I'm not tired" response.  YES you are.  NO I'm not.  Here is where those two words colide on a cosmic scale!!!  LOL!!

But back to the tipic on hand.

Think of drop shotting this way:  River, use a dropper.  A lake with a pier system that leads to one of the Great Lakes, use a dropper (there are a few exceptions to this).  Inland lake... fish away!!!

motocross269

I am glad that dropshotting is legal now, but the DNR needs to simplify things more.... again it is the Few(salmon poachers) that make it tough for the many.

Waterfoul

That is exactly why the CO's won't bother a guy sitting on the bow of his bass boat in the middle of the summer drop shotting a weed edge. 

But we all know getting the DNR to change anything is a time consuming act of attrition that has no chance of success in most cases.

Skulley

Quote from: Waterfoul on February 02, 2008, 09:12:16 PM
Now, if it only worked on kids...... :'(

My two kids look at me with that "I no speaka de english" look when I say NO.  It's like I am speaking Greek to them or something.  And yes, kids can easily argue a one word answer like "NO". 

BD               ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Waterfoul

It's worse when they answer you with NO.  "Go to bed."  NO.  I hate that kids won't got to bed when you tell them to!  My girfriends daughter is terrible at going to bed.  Go to bed kid so I can fool around with your mom!!!  LOL!!!  Part of the problem is grandma NEVER tells her NO. 

Now, back to Drop Shotting.... Did I mention I got a new DS rod for this upcoming season?  Did I mention I can't wait for this ice to go away!!!

Dan

"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

McCarter

Quote from: Waterfoul on February 07, 2008, 01:30:41 AM
  Go to bed kid so I can fool around with your mom!!! 

2008 quote of the year so far.  That ones gonna be tough to top!

McCarter himself :-\'

Waterfoul

Glad I could give you a chuckle.   :D

And no, I wasn't kidding!!!   ;D

djkimmel

Maybe... but I'm trying to decide if I need to edit it or not??? I don't want any of the kids on here to have nightmares!?!

Waterfoul

Hey now... I'm a nice guy!!!   ;D

Skulley

You are right about that.  Tough one to top.  I would like to be a fly on the wall when Waterfoul tries that one.  Face it DK these kids are already having night mares because we on this forum are their parents.  And if they are old enough to type blogs then they are old enough to realize the stork had nothing to do with it.  It all comes down to "bumping uglies".   :P  Funny how a dropshotting forum turned to kids saying "NO" among other things..............

Anyway back to dropshotting.............when is spring going to spring!!!!            ;)

BD            ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Waterfoul

Well since her daughter is not yet 5 years old, I'm not too worried that she will be joining this forum anytime soon!  LOL!!!  And her mother doesn't know about this site (yet?) so I'm safe for now!! 

So I picked up some BPS brand florocarbon, 10 lb.  Has anyone tried this line on their drop shot rig??  After buying it I'm told that Gamma makes the floro for BPS.  I didn't like the Gamma floro... is this BPS going to be the same??