Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:02:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Diawa - Drops Denny Brauer!

Started by 5alive, January 30, 2008, 01:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5alive

Wow, I guess nobody is safe anymore. Just seen this over on BassZone. Denny is no longer going have Diawa as a sponsor, after 20 yrs, they must really wan to stay with their own. I have to wonder about Ike?
Jeff Harris

www.quantumfishing.com
www.strikeking.com

Durand Dan

Skulley

They ought to be.  ;)

BD            ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

BryanP

Give them time, and the unions will ruin bass fishing too! ;D

Seriously, you're going to see a lot more of this happen.  There is no loyalty anymore, but in most cases it's the other way around--pros jumping from one company to the next for the best deal.  The Denny Brauer deal is sort of surprising though.  The fact of the matter is the fishing industry is just about tapped out when it comes to big sponsorship deals.  Big name pro endorsements simply aren't worth the money these guys are asking for.  Think about it.....who here would buy a Nitro because KVD runs one?  A lot of  companies are cutting costs by elimination of pro staff.  Marketing in the 21st century has changed in that it has become more web based, and pro endorsements just don't carry as much weight as they did in the past.  Now people tend to research products online, and get product recommendations from first hand users whether it be friends, fellow club members, or from online message/chat boards.  And you're going to see a lot more companies going to the "pay for performance" prostaff programs that Berkley is now using.

motocross269

Very good Points Bryan...The consumer is way more educated now with the Media that is available...
It used to be in Motocross what brand Won on Sunday sold on Monday..Not anymore..If the companies are manufacturing a less than stellar product it doesn't take long for the word to get out..

1javelin

To most of the extent of what you said, I agree.  But I think companies are still going to have their bread and butter for a few reasons.  When you think of KVD, you think Nitro, Strike King, Quantum, BPS, Motorguide, to name a few.  If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me, right?  Not always, I agree, but just to have the name pop into your head followed by their image, that still sells product, trust me, from first hand experience I know.

1Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

BryanP

1Jav, I agree there are exceptions.  But as I said, the big pro endorsements just don't carry as much weight as they did in the past.

TCook

Personally I put no stock in a product because of which anglers endorse it. Only reason I buy certain brands is my experience using it and the opinion of other tournament anglers like myself who use it and love it. You can trust someones opinion if they are not paid to use a product, but pays to use it because it works. If alot of guys think this way I would have to believe the market could be moving in a different direction.

T
FISH HARD!!!

MBell

I pay more attention to the equipment the pro's aren't being paid to use.  I've been around long enough to know that the latest and greatest isn't always what it's cracked up to be.  For example if you watch Bassmasters every week someone will be using the old style green curado reels, when the new model is supposed to be $75 better.
-Matt 

djkimmel

I've had this same talk personally with a number of companys' pro staff people over the past few seasons.

A number of companies are putting more effort into smaller buckets (less anglers, often only a few top tier full-time pros or guides) and pulling almost or completely away from anglers at our level. Frankly, I need to use the product or get a recommendation of a personally trusted source to make up my mind on many products.

There's a lot of frustration among the anglers trying to 'break into' the pro ranks because it is getting extremely tough to get any meaningful support. Information is still power though, so I'm glad to see discussions on here by various persons.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

BryanP, I am going to ignore your union comment.  I am offended by that remark.   >:(

BD                >:(

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Cy

You bring up an interesting point about the industry.  Companies reducing pro-staff at all levels of fishing, pro and other wise.  In contrast to that, Triton got away from BASS to focus more on the grass roots market.  I don't know where I read that but I am sure I can find it.  Exactly what that means I don't know but they still have a ton of pros using their product but they might be starting focus again the little guy.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

djkimmel

Well, it seems like people either love unions or hate them... regardless, I am watching closely to see what companies are doing in this fishing industry as far as promotions. Don't know about the rest of you, but I'd like to make the best of it whatever direction things head.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

springlakebassman

The first place I always look to when buying products is the local bait and rod producers.  These guys like Wayne at extreme and Bill at Snack Daddy are Mich. fishermen and residents.  They spend time on the same water I do fishing for the same fish I do.  When these guys produce a crawfish bait the research was done a great lakes craw not on some body of water in Florida or Texas.  I am not opposed to the big companies but we are just another fishermen to them, and I will probably never be able to develop the working relationship that I can with the local guys.  Have you ever tried to tell Strike King about a new bait color that works here in Mich.  It takes a long time to talk to a human and when you do finally talk to someone it feels like you are talking into the air.  A big thank you to all local lure and rod producers!

Skulley

Big changes are coming to this country.  Have you read the paper lately????  People are getting sick and tired about being sick and tired. 

Industry will change as times will change.  The U.S. needs to keep its manufacturing base or we will be a third world country before you know it.  We may lose freedoms we don't want to.  What are you willing to fight for???  Your job, your rights to hunt and fish, your sponsors..............Time to wake up and pay attention.

BD              ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com