Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:26:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Union Lake The Switch is Thrown 10-03-2016

Started by djkimmel, October 27, 2016, 06:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

dartag was kind enough to invite me fishing to his Union Lake. I say his lake because he lives there, and fishes there enough that I think the bass know him personally! It was an interesting day because we started catching very few fish, mostly largemouth bass and a couple walleye, then the largemouth bass started moving up and we caught more, and then suddenly in the afternoon the smallmouth bass moved up and we started catching those! Made for a fun learning day.

dartag always catches them good on Union Lake but as I said it did start out very slow in the morning, maybe not that surprising for a fall day! I started out catching walleye!

I was slow-rolling a small 4 1/2 inch swimbait near bottom when this small keeper walleye whacked it good! Not long after I was swimming a small Ned Rig in when another walleye about the same size whacked it. Must have been the cloudy, low light that had the walleye roaming and eating.

dartag caught a few bass and I finally got a small keeper. I think I was fishing the Stevie Rig (named after him because he uses it so much - a drop shot variant). I was trying different lures trying to get the bass to bite because we were seeing a few but not catching many yet.

We caught only largemouth bass for awhile, mostly on the drop shot, and then early afternoon dartag finally popped a nice smallmouth bass off a point! It was our first smallmouth bass and it was almost 1pm.

Like someone flicked a switch suddenly the smallmouth bass started to make a show after a morning of only largemouth bass. This decent smallmouth bass just SMASHED a LC topwater I was walking along the edge of some weeds!

Things definitely changed as we started seeing single smallies and small groups of smallies cruising and even sitting up real shallow. We spooked a small group of them that had a nice one mixed in and dartag threw in his Stevie Rig and the biggest one actually still grabbed it and he landed it!

I was looking up real shallow and I told dartag I could see a bass sitting next to one tuft of weeds. I threw my topwater up there and the bass swirled, bulged the water under the lure and then when I walked it twice the bass slammed the topwater. Couldn't believe I didn't spook it since it was sitting in about a foot and a half of water!!! It was pretty cool as far as bass bites go!

We got off the smallmouth bass after moving out of that weedy flat area. I thought I saw a largemouth bass near a dock so I tossed the walking lure up there. I couldn't see the bass anymore though it was less than 3 feet deep. Out of nowhere the small largemouth bass ate the topwater! I love fall topwater bites!

dartag was still catching a few largemouth bass on his Stevie Rig but we decided to go back to the breaks we saw a few largemouth bass earlier on. The bass had REALLY moved in then! We could see largemouth bass swimming all over the place BUT we couldn't hardly get them to bite! Boy did we try. We got a couple to bite but there were bass swarming all over the place that we couldn't get to do more then swarm around the break, each other and the boat, sometimes heading off into the deeper water, and sometimes swimming back up onto the flats! It was fun and frustrating at the same time.

All in all, we caught a good number of bass though we saw 5 times or more bass than we caught but it was another fun day on the water with some memorable fish! Thanks dartag!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

My fish live a Pampered life out there.  They are lazy and only like to come out when the sun is shining.  As I tell people that fish out there.  You will see many times more fish than you will catch. 

djkimmel

If you ever figure out how to catch half of what you see you will really catch a bunch then!!! I will keep trying...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.