Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:16:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

BFL Turnout this year?

Started by bshaner, January 28, 2008, 07:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bshaner

Any guestimates what the turnout is going to be like this year?

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

skeeterman190

Well i know for sure that im fishing the Burt Mullet tourney but other then that im not fishing the whole series. Gotta get a new boat figure i can make it at burt mullet with my 19ft skeeter but nothing else.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

bshaner

I've seen smaller boats than that at all the BFL's!  I think Dan runs a 15 foot ranjah.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

skeeterman190

Im sure that is true but I feel that to get the most out of it i need a bigger boat. My boats been through HELL and back through 8-10 footers but it wasnt fun or safe.We made it cashed a check and had fun but thats with someone I trust my life with and they trust theres with me. Not someone i met this morning and put them through that. I SHOOT FOR THE FENCE and wont have it any other way so 1 more year of saving and ill be there.hope to see you all @ burt mullet-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Durand Dan

The BFL turnouts in Michigan seem to run between 100 to 130 boats. This is surprising when you figure that Michigan has one of the largest amounts of registered boats of any state. One of the problems, which I know I am wary of is the big water that is fished. St. Claire and Erie are intimidating for boaters that fish inland lakes all the time. In the south they consistantly have 200 boat turnouts, I think because more anglers feel confident on those inland waters. I have thought about fishing Burt/Mullet as a boater but as stated previously I hate to put a co-angler in the posistion of not fishing out of a Ranger/Triton/ Skeeter 20ft boat (I have an 18ft. Tracker Pro Tournament 18). I still my give Mullet a try.

MBell

Quote from: Durand Dan on January 29, 2008, 05:02:39 AM
I hate to put a co-angler in the posistion of not fishing out of a Ranger/Triton/ Skeeter 20ft boat (I have an 18ft. Tracker Pro Tournament 18). I still my give Mullet a try.
If you feel you can handle your boat on that body of water don't let the co influence your decison.  They are there for a tournament,not a boat ride.  My co up there last year probobly only fished a few hours, and we weren't even bed fishing half the day.
-Matt

motocross269

Don't let the size of the boat stop you from fishing....
I fished with a guy in the BFL on LSC last year out of an Aluminum Xpress. I was a little nervous the nite before about going out in a smaller boat, but the boat handled the rought water great..As a bonus he was a great boater/fisherman and put me on enough fish to cash a check..
There is a pro on the FLW tour..I can't remember who it is, but he fishes most of the FLW tour out of an 18ft aluminum triton...You just have to know your limitations and work within them.
20 years ago the standard boat was an 18ft rig with a 150hp on the rear...And we fished LSC and Saginaw bay..
As far as turnout goes...It may go up because alot of Ohio guys are looking at the Michigan series now that one event is in Sandusky.
I am not fishing them all this year...I have too many scheduling conflicts...and my wallet is a little lighter this year.

dashaver63

I wouldn't worry too much about not having enough boat if you have a 19' Skeeter. IMO that would be plenty enough boat. I have fished in Strens with pro's that went to Canada in an 18'. Did anyone that went to the Regional see the guy that was using that 18' flat bottom duck boat? If he could use that, your Skeeter would be just fine.

Jighead

QuoteDid anyone that went to the Regional see the guy that was using that 18' flat bottom duck boat
Yes I did.  And at that tournament, to be quite honest with you, I was a little jealous (I run a Triton 20X).
www.YUM3x.com
www.BooyahBaits.com
www.XCaliburTackle.com
www.BomberLures.com
www.SilverThread.com

skeeterman190

Thanks for the posts guys and a real confidence boost. Im gonna take these one at a time. Im scouring over tons of info and maps for burt and mullet and trying to put a solid plan togather but alot of its gonna come down to the prefish but man im lovin what im seeing.. hey side note anyone ever catch and largemouth there??-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

225XS4Garza200PXL

I've caught largemouth in Indian River... but if you want any chance at a check at all... fish beds...
Jose Garza

Guide and Tournament Angler - Book a Trip Today!!
www.josegarzafishing.com

Stratos Boats - The Performance Company
www.stratosboats.com

Wonderland Marine West
www.wonderlandmarinewest.com

Provider Tackle - Pro's Choose It, We Supply It!
www.providertackle.com

Nemesis Baits - Hand Poured Goodness in Every Bag!
www.nemesisbaits.com

Mizmo Bait Co.
www.mizmo.com

skeeterman190

Yeah i was just curious figure there might be 1 or 2 big ones willing to bite. But most definately gonna be bed fishing..-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

rufus

There are some big and very unmolested largies in there. On the right day you cold possibly cash a check with them. If you want to win, though, bett go after the brownies  ;D.

josh617

You should be fine with a 19' skeeter, i drew a guy last year in the 2-day that had a ranger 178 and we ran up to st. clair, the river wasnt bad at all but there were like 4 footers on st. clair in the morning everytime we would set down to make another drift we would spear a wave. I didnt bother taking a shower in the morning cuz i knew i was gonna get one on the ride. but at least i didnt draw rufus again in that tournament. ;)

skeeterman190

This is all great to hear and makes me feel alot better. I dont want the size of my boat to hamper me and not fish these.Its tough right now I need a new truck and boat and im trying to figure out how to swing it. I really want a new ranger z21 and might end up in one but if not ill still be there fishing.thanks again guys and can spring ever get here!!!!-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

1javelin

I have 2 reasons for not fishing them.

1)  I work way too much to take time for prefishing that far away, as it would almost have to be a 2 day thing since I live in NorthWest Indiana.

2)  Have any of you seen gas prices lately???  It would cost me about $200 round trip, plus around another $200 for boat gas, and hotel, and tackle, since everyone seems to lose so much to zebra mussels.  I could spring for the cost of the tourney sometimes, but once you add in the price of gas, etc..., it's no longer viable for me.  I have enough problems with fishing the few circuits I do fish because of gas prices and time away from work and wife, you really think I am going to chance it??

1Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

skeeterman190

I hear ya on the money part Jav but then again I also dont have all the responsibilites of wife and family so. I guess for me its just that i want to go farther with this whole deal then throwing my money away fishing anything thats close to home. way too much luck around here and very poor fisheries.Granted last year i didnt make any money but i also felt like i did make some huge steps towards bigger things. and cashed quite a few checks that made it a little easier. I totally agree with ebonds statement. You never get better unless you bump heads with the best. they bring out the best in you.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

TCook

Same deal with myself skeeterman. I want to fish the BFL's because first I think it is the fastest way to improve and learn from the best anglers around. The water they fish is of the most importance in the area. I am single and have no kids so nothing is holding me back. Dont forget the BFL is fishing the top 3 smallmouth lakes in the COUNTRY!!!

T
FISH HARD!!!

Dan

I got all 5 of my BFL confirmations back yesterday.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Dan

I hear you loud and clear Jav. I got a buddy with a place on lake Erie and he's had it three years and I haven't been there yet. Just the price of gas over there and then the price of fishing gas makes me think hard and long over where I am going to fish. I'm pretty lucky with the BFLs. Don picked up a sponsor for us that is going to pay both our entry fees and throw in money for gas as well. All we have are our food and lodging expenses. Makes it a lot easier, especially if we can cash a check or two.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."