Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:06:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Jig and pig?

Started by DennisB., February 12, 2006, 02:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisB.

How many guys here in michigan actually use a jig with some kind of trailer? I have never been a real fan of this method of fishing. I will pitch a tube but never really any luck on a standard jig.

rudycard72

i throw a jig & plastic trailer alot cought most of my big fish on them last year especially early in the season

blakstr1

i NEVER throw a jig without the pig..and I always have one tied on...Kicker fish magnet..
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

kgr624

DennisB,
           I know what you mean about never having very much luck with them , but I stuck with them and actually got some tips from some local fisherman and now I will try a jig and pig in almost every tournament I am in. And Yes in the begining of the season they tend to work better because you can work them so slow that fish just love them. I usually go with a 1/8oz, 1/4oz jig head useally Strike King and most of the time black and white curtain. With a black or watermelon trailor. Actually I got some edvice on her from POORBOY about some bear hair jigs and some super J trailers gonna order some of those ASAP to try those out.
Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same

Dan

"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Savage

Oh man, you can't go wrong with one anywhere there are largemouth!  You really only need a couple colors in a couple weights.  I like the Triple Rattlebacks, they seem to last the longest before they lose their rattle.  Black with a black zoom super chunk, hard to beat.  Sometimes I'll use a blue trailer.  The important thing is the weight. Use a 3/8 or even 1/4 in dirty water, and 1/2 in clear water.  The reason is in clear water you want a fast fall, so the fish has to react quickly by sight.  In dirty water they need more time to find it and strike.  Largemouth cannot resist them.

A jig n pig is my number one go to bait anytime I can use it! :-*
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

DennisB.

I have some booyah's and some stone jigs that I forced myself to pick up when I bought a used st.croix flipping stick last year but I have to force myself to use it. It is a little akward for me to get used to so I might just get a 7' heavy with a shorter handle. I think i would pitch more than flip and I have gotten pretty good at pitching a tube with my 6'6'' MH but that flipping stick gives me fits. I like the yum trailers but thought that I might check out some paca chunks this year.

canvsbk

Brown fish luv 'em too.
Brown or green, they will not drop a jig n pig. If you forced me to fish with 1 thing only...... no question what it would be.
Any time the fish are neutral to negative it works for me, and after a constant pounding of tubes and spinnerbaits it must be refreshing to get caught on an old time classic.
Look past what they want you to see.

djkimmel

I love swimming white jigs with a white Zoom super chunk in the fall - a big fish magnet on many lakes!!!! Have had a few awesome days on Secord doing that, but I've also used them to swim along floating docks down south to whack better fish too after watching a good ole boy from South Carolina put a hurtin' that way on some bass.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

McCarter

A jig and Pig is just like any other lure out there.  It will catch fish.  If you are not accustomed to throwing it, you will struggle and probably not be as quick to choose a jig over something you have confidence in.

I have went through this with jigs, cranks, traps, carolina rig.  The best way to get over it is to take that lure out on the water with you and commit yourself to using nothing but all day.  You may catch fish, you may not catch fish.  But you will get a feel for the lure and learn some of the tricks to using it.

When i starting throwing jigs 2 years ago, i started light.  1/8 oz on a 6'3" spinning rod.  Once i got a feel for them, and built some confidende in them, i started going a little heavier.  You can also use a bigger jig but trim down the skirt a bit and use a smaller trailer.  that way you still have the weight but you have a smaller profile jig.  I will not throw any jig right out of the pack.  I always trim them down a little.  I am not saying the bigger ones dont catch fish, but i feel better throwing a little smaller profile jig to better match the size of the crawfish in the lakes i fish.

Spend some time with it, you will catch fish. 

PoorBoy himself :-\'

MBell

Dhuff got me started on jig fishing this year, the whole time I felt like a hillbilly throwing these moster jigs on heavy line.  They do crush them, but up here I have a hard time putting the tube down. 
-Matt

dhuff

Jig and Pigs are just awesome.  I have tons of confidence in them.  I however,  modify every jig before it ever gets fished.  There are stituations that I use them in alot and they have produced some of my biggest fish ever.  There are alot of mistakes guys make when using jigs.  Or guys will buy one style or size of jig throw it for a few hours not getting a bite and say jigs suck.  It takes alot of patience and testing on the jigs to get the proper fall just right.

fishstick

I never hit the water without atleast one jig tied on they can catch em deep or shallow, and can be fished so many different ways. I like the finesse jigs all the way on up to 1 ouncers usually in green or brown.

Bronzeback5LBER

I threw a jig for the first time at Kent Lake last year,I found what I thought would be some good cover for this(weeds and lilly pads together) and just flipped my jig into some little openings and would slowly lift and drop my jig and feel for extra weight or what some describe as a mushy feel,I had no luck but it felt pretty good trying.
I ain't as good as I once was, but I was good once as I ever was

McCarter

Weeds and Lilys together????  Its FROG TIME baby.

I like a jig a lot on kent lake.  But i usually start off with a carolina rig to help me locate deeper structure, and then beat it to death with a jig.  I have never had too much luck flipping or pitching on Kent with a jig.  I catch most of my fish on a jig dragging the bottom.  I will show you what i mean this summer ;D

DennisB.

Kent lake is one that I am gonna hit hatd this year, Thanks for all the help

Dennis

McCarter

:D

( lets try this again, but this time in the right topic )

Dont waste any time on Kent.  Theres no fish out there.

DennisB.

How did that happen? I didn't realize it was in the wrong place either :D

What ya think about  a Jig & pig on wixom?

McCarter

its worth a shot.  the only way i can catch fish up there is by draggin soft plastics on the bottom.  a jig should work just fine.

Savage

J&P's DO NOT work on Wixom!!!!! ;)  I repeat, DO NOT try them there.  In fact don't even fish there, because there are no bass.  Stay off there and leave me to "suffer" all alone. ;D

(If you do happen to be a glutton for punishment, a 1/2 oz Black & blue MIGHT do the trick up there.)
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks