Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:49:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lake Ovid Replay September 16, 2016

Started by djkimmel, October 09, 2016, 11:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

In kind of a make up day for a 2nd trip in one week, since we had limited time, Derek and I took a follow up replay visit to Lake Ovid on Friday (9-16-2016). We started out on the lower end of the lake because I wanted to start somewhere different and Derek said, ok.

I will say now that did not pan out at all. The lake seemed quiet and asleep as we fished quite a few different approaches from slop to pitching to the bottom to no avail. After a while I said I give up and lets go back to the upper end of the lake. I have to say some bass usually move to the lower end in the fall but maybe it is too early?

Even after the moved with fished for awhile without landing any bass. I finally broke down and said lets go hit the hump because nothing else was working.

Finally! I was pitching the black-blue Kustom Kicker Jigs Dock Monkey again along the edge of the weeds on the humps farther down from the tip than normal when I got popped by a decent bass! Took a couple hours but finally got started.

Moments later I pitched the Dock Monkey into a hole along the weed edges and popped it off a weed when the jig got THUMPED! Set the hook into a nice solid largemouth bass! Now we're talking!!! I was using a Case Plastics black-blue Cash Craw as a trailer again... in case you're wondering.

We fished along the humps and down along the dam without getting another bite though it looked like good weed edges...

I suggested we move to the weeds near the beach for something different as I used to do well along there. We were fishing it for a short time running in between deeper clumps and the thick edge out from shore when I switched to the topwater to walk the dog. I cast out and barely had time to twitch the lure when it got blasted by this little bass.

I'm on to something I think now... but we fished that area quite a bit and switched techniques a number of times without finding anymore bites though! Now what?!?

We decided to go back to the middle part of the lake fishing some more weedlines. There was a little bit of a breeze built up and pitching wasn't working good for us so I went back to fishing a faster lure along the outside weed edges.

I got one more bite finally for the day on my white Kustom Kicker Jackpot again. The bass slammed it good though it wasn't a big bass. Still fun to get hammered on a moving lure as always. You can see the pearl Angling AI mold swimbait I like to put on the back of this cool spinner swim jig!

And that was it for the day. We hit a few new spots that we don't normally hit. They didn't produce this time. Hard to believe as much as I fish Ovid that there can still be spots I don't or rarely fish but it's a complex lake really being a medium-aged lowland reservoir.

I guess the main takeaway is to know I will be back! :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.