Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:32:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Should I get a Hotfoot?

Started by 6 lb Smallmouth, September 14, 2016, 06:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6 lb Smallmouth

Is there any reason not to get a Hotfoot?  I gather it is better for handling rough water so you can have both hands on the wheel.  I have a Tuffy X-190 with a F175 if that makes any difference.  Thanks for any advice. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

fiker

Friends of mine that fish a lot of big water have them.  I can see a lot of advantages to having one. 

I fish a lot of inland lake chains.  For me, when idling from one lake to another my thoughts are that I don't want one. 

Having said that, every time I'm in rough water on Erie or Clair I wish I had one. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

dartag

with the hot foot and blinker trim your hands are on the wheel all the time.  unless you are eating your lunch while driving across the lake.  Which I do a lot.  had mine for 10 on my Ranger for 10 years.   only caution is if you install yourself make sure you don't run the screws through the bottom of the boat.   you  will also need a longer throttle cable.  There is a learning curve landing and docking the boat.  You will no longer have control from the throttle handle.  it will only be used for gear shifting.

would never have another bass boat with out one.

32eml24

Hotfoot horror story... My spring snapped on the pedal and it got stuck full down... I pulled kill switch in time... replaced with beefier spring... took a bit of getting used to driving onto trailer as well as idling no wakes.  If you have the horsepower you really should have both hands on the wheel.  Big water I can see it helping too.  Me personally I enjoy driving my normal throttle 90hp yamaha on the river boat more than the hotfoot with the big horsepower. 

dartag

My Hotfoot has a stirrup that you can pull back the throttle if the spring breaks.   
Try and find someone with one and see if they will let you drive it to see if you like it.

djkimmel

You don't want one if you have strong 'braking' instinct! I actually had that problem for a short time when I first got my hotfoot but after that I love the HotFoot for driving in rough water especially.

If you have long no wakes to drive often it can build good calf muscles.

I've had some people claim it isn't as safe for rough water but I think they just never had the time to get used to using one. With both hands on the wheel it is easier to control the hotfoot fine-tuned and stable. I think it is safer to have both hands on the wheel actually.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

21XDC

Bullet boats wont sell a boat without one... I resisted this as I was used to hand throttles in all of my other boats. Once you get used to it, You wont go back.
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

dartag

Watch the video's of people getting thrown out of boats.  A Hot Foot or Dead Man's Throttle as it is referred to shut the throttle down.  Also use the shutoff teather at all times.

6 lb Smallmouth

Thanks guys for the advice.  This is a project for over the winter. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

1BADAIR

After 2 years i still cant decide if i want one in my ranger. I believe I know of one person Dan is refering. Says you tend to drive faster in rough water with one

motocross269

I have a hotfoot...It is great in rough water on big water but stinks in long no wakes..
It's personal preference... Iaconnelli and Clapper don't use them and if memory serves me right neither does Balog so there are some good anglers out there that don't use them....
I wish they would come up with some version that you could change back and forth on the fly..

djkimmel

I actually thought there was a version that allowed you to keep the hand throttle but it may be one that hasn't been for sale for a long time, from the 'old days.'

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Hollada

The new G2's have a fly by wire option that allows both hotfoot and hand throttle
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

dartag

Quote from: Hollada on September 29, 2016, 03:25:10 PM
The new G2's have a fly by wire option that allows both hotfoot and hand throttle

Gulfstream.??  What,   did you buy a Jet now.

Manxfishing

djkimmel

I wonder if he had his kill switch attached?? He didn't have a life vest on - not safe at much speed, especially standing up.