Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:41:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

BFL Detroit River journal

Started by Team houston, June 28, 2016, 01:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Team houston

I helped my friend R. Ramsey practice for this one on Thurs. We spent the whole day checking stuff on Erie. We caught some fish and a couple decent ones but not enough to make Randy happy.

When we were shallow at times we could get bit on a jerkbait. The rest was the usual bottom bouncers. Randy checked St. Clair on Fri. I went to work, bummer.

At the pairing meeting I draw out in boat #96 out of 118 with Mike Trombley. What a great surprise. Everyone knows Mike is a serious contender on the Great lakes. Not to mention I traveled with Mike to the regional on the Chesapeake Bay a couple years ago and had a great time. It should be a fun day on the water.

We are getting ready to take off and Mike says he has a hunch about a quick stop in the river. They call our boat # and we take off. We stop at the spot that might have some post spawners. I flip out my drop shot and on the third hop I have a fish on. I put a small keeper in the livewell.

Mike starts whacking them and forty five minutes later has caught approx 10 keepers. He only keeps three that have the size he needs to contend. Meanwhile I have put four in the box and am very happy with a good start.

We then head out to the main lake and make two quick stops near Colchester. At the second one I get my limit fish. We then head out near Pelee and bounce around to many spots. At one point we are in about 14 feet so I try the jerkbait and hook three good ones but only land two. But they both cull out smaller fish.

Mike has his limit now and occasionally culls up also. Like always we mark tons of fish under the boat and on this day they rarely bite. Mike has caught one or two bass and a couple Drum after dozens of drops. I have not caught one dropper.

Until late in the day We see a bunch under the boat and Mike says "I dont know if they are bass or drum"  I drop over the side and my rod loads up and announce."we are gonna find out" Mike grabs the net as a 4lber comes into view. He nets my best fish of the day.

After one more quick stop with no action we head in on water thats flat as a parking lot. Mike ends up with 18lbs even and get 14th. My 5 go 15lbs even and I get 17th. It was one of those special days. We caught plenty of fish and the weather was awesome. Its days like this that make you forget about days like last years first BFL that was in hurricane conditions.

Hollada

Congrats on a great day.  My boater and I bounced around numerous spots from gross pointe to metro fro. 8 fow to 14 and couldn't get in them.  I ended up with two keepers for 5 09.   My boater caught two as well. 
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

dartag

as always Great write up.  Good luck on the next one.

Dave B

LAPORTE

I love the stories. My boat has been on the trailer since the day after memorial day... :o but that is another story... nice job as always Phil. I look forward to the next...

LaPorte
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

21XDC

I almost enjoy reading these as much as fishing with Phil... 8^)
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

djkimmel

As always! Thanks for sharing your stories!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.