Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:28:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Anyone have experience with the Lowrance LMS 522??

Started by Waterfoul, January 01, 2008, 07:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

I have the opportunity to purchase a very lightly used unit from a friend (I've fished in his boat and used this unit a little bit) at a GREAT price.  My questions for anyone who's used one is about the GPS reception and what chips you have used.  I'm told that if you tilt them too much the internal antenna units can lose signal.  Also, I have the Navionics gold chip... on my H2Oc handheld I can only zoom down to 1/8th of a mile.  That's a LONG ways on the water.  Will the 522 zoom in closer?  I believe it will... but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Slipkey

Quote from: Waterfoul on January 01, 2008, 07:51:04 PM
I'm told that if you tilt them too much the internal antenna units can lose signal.  Also, I have the Navionics gold chip... on my H2Oc handheld I can only zoom down to 1/8th of a mile.  That's a LONG ways on the water.  Will the 522 zoom in closer?  I believe it will... but I'm not sure.
Mike, you have heard right on the tilt angle, though much of that depends on where you mount the unit.  More likely that you will loose partial signal and some accuracy by tilting the unit up than lose signal completely.

Unfortunately you're not going to get any more zoom with the Gold chip than you currently have.  That's a limitation of the chip - not the unit.  Your best bet would be to upgrade to one of the Premium chips (the '08 ones should be out fairly soon).   The level of zoom depends to a degree on the body of water, but on Lake Erie's West basin, my Navionics Premium '07 zooms down to 1/32 of a mile I believe. 

On some of the "HD" lakes included in that chip, you can zoom as far as 1/64.

Sorry for the delay on getting back to you on this.  My bad.

Waterfoul

But the funny thing is, when I bring my chip into West Marine and plug it into the LMS527 we have on display it will zoom in to 1/64th of a mile.  Now that I look at the chip it is a Navionics Premium East chip.  So why won't my H2Oc zoom in closer than 1/8th of a mile?  Seems odd to me.  I know the 527 uses the same GPS program as the 522, but why would the hand held refuse to zoom in further? 

Anway, I'm pretty sure I will be spending our government "rebate" check on buying the 522 from my friend.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Slipkey

Hmm.  I may be wrong about the chip then.   I've had the same problem with my X19 and X26 with my Gold chip - maxed out at 1/8.   

Which lake map are you zooming into?    My dad has an H20c and he had some problems with my HotMaps Gold chip when he tried testing it out after he bought it.  He was going to buy the Premium chip, anyway, which zoomed to 1/32 fine.   It may be a combination of the two.   If the 522c will zoom in to 1/32 that sounds like a nice solution.

Waterfoul

I tried several lakes at the store on the 527... Muskegon which is in HD, and Reeds in GR which isn't in HD.  Both lakes zoomed down to 1/64th on the 527.  Neither will zoom closer than 1/8th on the handheld.

Seems weird to me, really wierd.

motocross269

Hey Waterfoul...One advantage I could see with the 522 over the 520 is that you could easily convert it to use for ice fishing and still have GPS capabilities without carrying around an antennae...
I don't think you can link-up the 522 with an LCX with external reciever though...One of the gurus could probably chime in on this..

Waterfoul

I don't ice fish so it's not an issue.  But the unit I have an opportunity to buy is a 522 internal antenae model.