Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:11:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Return to Round Round 2 6-29-2016

Started by djkimmel, July 14, 2016, 04:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Still wanting to relive big fish glory I returned to Round Lake again on the 29th 7 days later. I guess I have to add to the story a little to help you understand what I'm up against.

The lake is small and round, hence the name. The lake is not very deep - less than 30 feet and most of it less than 15-17 feet. The pounded the lake with weed killer in late May and now most of the weeds left are brown, sparse and sickly looking. I'm afraid the water quality has not been great because I am seeing more and more dogfish gulping air throughout the day causing me to think the toughening bite might be because the oxygen level is low?

Because of the conditions and the last trip I decided to start this trip on Round Lake fishing around the edge of the shallow lily pads looking for feeding cruisers. It worked last year. Maybe it would work this year.

The good news - I got my first Round Lake Pop'R keeper off a lily pad point right up against them. But, it was the wimpiest bite and fight for a keeper I've had this year... Still, it was a topwater bite, which is nice! ;D

I never got another bite on the Pop'R so I went subsurface with the hot little green shad Strike King KVD 1.5 crankbait but only managed to get one small bass on it. The dogfish and pike were tearing it up though! Of course! ;D

The Bullet Craw got one small, slack-bellied keeper for me. It had a chunk missing from its cheek for some reason. I caught it from a slot between 2 weed beds that I have caught lots of bass from over the years.

And that was my whole day. My toughest, slowest day on Round Lake so far this year by far.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I actually fished Round Lake on June 24th too but there's not much to write about that day. I caught a few. A little less tough than this day but close. My problem was my phone had died so I did not get any pictures from that day of fishing to share and without the pictures I can't remember much in the way of details other than that it was also a slow, tough day on the water. Too calm and too nice maybe?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Derek and I also returned to Lake 'M' for a day on June 28th and we HAMMERED them but I had no phone yet so I have no pictures to share. We caught several over 3 pounds and Derek got one from under a dock that weighed over 5 pounds! He has a picture of that one he is going to send me. We caught a bunch of 2 pounders and had a really great day throwing topwater - I had one almost 4 pounds eat the 130 size Whopper Plopper at the boat - and Derek caught a bunch of nice ones on buzzbaits. We also caught a bunch on shallow crankbaits and pitching Bullet Craws too! It was a nice day - our best on the lake so far. I'd share the lake but it was shown to me by someone else and I don't want to give away any of the information they shared with me out of respect for a shared pet lake. I also caught several nice bass deeper on a Carolina-rigged big black and blue Nemesis Bullet Craw.