Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:13:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Fish To Cure Diabetes

Started by blakstr1, February 09, 2006, 06:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blakstr1

http://www.fishtocurediabetes.org/

Please check out the above link to this great charitable organization focused on bringing the world closer to a cure for Diabetes.  The team is spreading the word all over the country attending the major fishing events, general speaking appearances, and organizing diabetes fund-raising tournaments.  I've been talking with the founder of this organization John Manis for 2 years now, he is a type 2 diabetic and his daughter has juvenile diabetes.  Other notables that are a part of the organization are Dion Hibdon, Katrina DeHaven (WBT), and Clark Wendlandt.

As a side note John is in 5th place in the FLW tour event as a co-angler at Lake Murray after Day 1.

We are trying to bring a tournament to the Michigan region, which would mix pros and amateurs but all for a great cause.  Please view the website for knowledge and information regarding diabetes and people who live with it. 

I have Type 1, juvenile diabetes; this means I am insulin dependent through injections.  Every tournament is a struggle, it is hard to manage an insulin level while fishing for 8 hours in the hot sun.  I would imagine everybody knows someone with either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, we are working for each one of these poeple.

Blake
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Cheetam

Hey Blake...if you are successful in getting a tournament in MI, count me in.  Diabetes runs in my family, and my wife is currently dealing with Gestational Diabetes (which is diabetes that develops during pregnancy...it goes away after the baby is born, but increases her chances of developing diabetes later in life).  She currently has to take insulin injections before every meal and at bed time to control it.
Jeff

McCarter

Im in too.  Diabetes runs in my family also.  My grandfather died from complications caused by his diabetes.  It wasnt pretty.  It is a very nasty disease.  I get checked about every 6 monthes.  A couple times the results were pretty scary, but so far i am diabetes free. 

PoorBoy himself :-\'

P.S.  I thoughti heard G Swindel was a diabetic.

blakstr1

Thanks for the support, make sure your wife watches it closely the rate is pretty high of women that have it during pregnancy without any reaccurance..  but take it serious just the same.  I've been taking 4 injections a day for as long as I remember, my doctor is just starting to look at the insulin pump options, i can't imagine how convenient that would be!
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

spinninbug

You can count my husband and myself both in.  Our daughter had gestational deabetes both of my grandsons had problems when they were born,  they are fine now but it is very scarey.  My daughter is still stuggling with it.  My prayers are with your and your wife Jeff,  I wish you both well and the little one. 

So count us in!! I'm sure I know alot of others that will do the same.
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

blakstr1

Thanks to all, I know the support will be good!  We are just trying to find a good time to do it, I know they've expressed interest in having it on "the Clair", but we will see.

Thanks again! :)
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Cheetam

Quote from: spinninbug on February 09, 2006, 10:14:33 AM
...My prayers are with your and your wife Jeff,? I wish you both well and the little one...

Thank you SO much Wendy!
Jeff

spinninbug

Your very welcome,  I know exactly what you guys are going through.  Again good luck and best wishes.
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

Savage

I suppose you might talk me into fishing that event, since I'd be in the back of your boat!!!!  Let me know if I can help with that in any way. ;D
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

djkimmel

Larry Dekker lost 50 pounds in two months when his health really started fading fast. They couldn't figure out what was wrong (I thought he'd been cursed by a gypsy but he swore he didn't know any). With all his other health problems, somehow (I didn't even think of it) they missed a sugar test and he showed... I think it was 682.

He started slowly gaining weight once they treated him for it. He's had some problems with that in the past couple of years along with everything else.

My Stepdad takes shots. A few other relatives have to go through that. I'm waiting to see what happens with the new inhaler I heard they recently approved. I don't know the specifics yet, but it would sure be nice for a ton of people to not have so many shots.

Larry is coming home tomorrow btw, a week early because he is doing so good. I have to get that #$%@$ computer fixed in the morning. Figures the MySQL database would go down on this site or whatever happened. Glad it was only down a couple hours or so.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

blakstr1

Larry had a dangerous sugar level, to date i am supposed to go to the doctor anytime my sugar reaches 350+, it still happens frequently.  i've only spent time in the hospital for it once, i was in there 5 days when i entered my sugar was 831.  i shutter everytime i think about it.  on the opposite end the lowest i've been is 19!!  it sure can be challenging sometimes.  i got pulled over speeding about 2 years ago, a co-worker and myself had been working at a jobsite down by Ann Arbor all day right in mid-August, I was sweating alot and work took longer than i had planned.  i was a little careless and tried to finish work before i went to the store to get something, i suddenly realized i was in trouble and we took off to the store, me being stubborn jumped in the driver side of my truck and we headed out, i was running 70 through the back road hills of Ann Arbor where the speed limit was 45, and sure enough i met a cop, when he came to my window i couldn't even get my drivers license out i was shaking so bad and i had lost all my wits as to where i was going.  i did manage to get my med id necklace out of my shirt for him to read, while my co-worker got out and helped me to the passenger side..the cop followed us t the store while my buddy drove and let me get some juice and food, he gave me a warning but was mostly concerned.  we checked my blood suga level afer i had drank something, i was down to 21..if i would have waitied another 15  minutes, no telling what would've happened.  It is very serious and me after all these years still needs reminding of that once in a while.

by the way, the inhaler looks phenominal, anything to eliminate injections!
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

djkimmel

Whoa! Scary!! I've seen the affects so many times of ultra-low blood sugar. I work with a diabetic who isn't careful all the time and I check on him in the afternoon when he gets too quiet because, like you say, I can't count on him always knowing he needs help if he's waited too long.

My Stepdad goes through lows and highs all the time and you can see how it affects his personality and behavior. I used to work in the lab years ago and dealt with a whole lot of diabetics then. We kept orange juice in the fridge for the ones who had gone too far, and we were right next door to the urgent care center.

I caught a whole lot more than one fainter in my day. I always knew when the 'big' ones were going down, because the ladies would start yelling for me.

I hope the inhaler has large application possibilities because I think many more people will take better care of themselves if it is less painful and uncomfortable.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.