Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 08:49:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Taking Care of our Great Lakes Smallmouth - Tournament Weigh-Ins

Started by rsaid19fish, July 18, 2016, 03:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsaid19fish

This may be the first time I have ever posted on here but I witnessed something Saturday that cannot go un-addressed.  I am sure this happens a lot, but witnessing it first hand Saturday was sickening.

I returned from a fishing outing on St. Clair with some friends from Texas to the Crocker Launch (also known as the Spillway or Clinton River Cutoff).  There were two bass clubs there, one from Indiana (I am assuming by all the "IN" registered boats) and another club that was wrapping up, so I could not tell where they were from, but it was likely Michigan.

These tournament anglers were dumping our smallmouth into 80-degree muddy nasty water.  At least 5 fish over 3 pounds were floating dead against the seawall.  Those were just the ones I could see right away.

I am not here to embarrass or call people out, but this CANNOT continue if we hope to keep our wonderful lake kicking out the smallmouth it does.  It was sickening to watch as angler after angler just dumped their fish in warm dirty water....some did not even bother to walk to the end of the dock.

Weather you are a club from California or from Michigan does not matter.  I too am a tournament fisherman.  I have nothing against tournaments.  We have to take better care of our fish.  The DNR is watching, non-tournament anglers are watching, non-fishing folks are watching.  What kind example are we setting?  Who is going to believe us when we say "we care about our fishery"?

Possible solution:  Leave two of your tournament boats in the water (draw straws if no one will volunteer...but that's sad if it comes to that).  The first 20 fish go in the first boat and he/she takes them out a half mile to some clean moving water to be released.  While he is out, the next 20 fish go in the second boat.  When the first boat comes back, the next 20 go there and so on.  Yes, technically this might not be legal because you have more than a 5 fish limit, but I have a hard time believing any conservation officer (whose job it is to protect the resource) is going to have an issue with us protecting the resource and making sure these fish live.

I understand that every tournament is going to have a few dead fish despite our best efforts.  That does not bother me.  What was bothersome was that this was not our "best effort."  It was wasteful and poor management of our resource.

If you are launching out of the Cutoff, Harley, and even down at Erie Metro, those fish deserve to a better chance to live and need to be put out in clean moving water.  Please protect our fish.  Please take better care of our fish.  We have to do better.

dartag

Sad that happened.  We are fishing a small lake in Brighton tomorrow.  I took the divider out of my live well so we can transport the fish back out to the lake after weigh in.   

Thanks for pointing it out.  Hopefully people will read your report and change the way they release fish.

Steve Smith
Commerce, Mi

djkimmel

That's been on my hit list as a boat ramp that is not good for releasing bass at. All I can probably do at the moment is talk to the MDNR about putting up a sign maybe the federation can create. It's a start and I would have it mention keeping bass alive.

If you ever identify the actual club(s) present I wouldn't have a problem contacting them and talking to them about not releasing bass there.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

LAPORTE

I have only fished the BASS opens or the BFL tourneys out there... other than catch and release for me. I guess I never really gave this much thought it makes sense though. thanks for the post...

Don L
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

thedude

Maybe if we could have tournaments early in the year when the water isn't 80 degrees, fish wouldn't be quite so stressed when they are released.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

That's a great point! Share that with the NRC if you get a chance.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.