Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:35:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bass Camp on St.Clair

Started by LAPORTE, December 20, 2007, 01:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAPORTE

Hello All, We started a family bass camp last year and the first one was on Burt/Mullett. This year we are thinking about moving it to St.Clair. The only trouble that I have is where do we camp at.... Last year it was easy Aloha state park. not as easy this year. Does anyone have info on camp grounds near one of the launches on St Clair ? 

I know what your thinking.... why would he want to St Clair and not back up north.... right .....  all of my family up north have never fished St.Clair.. In case you were wondering..lol

If only that darn water would freezzzee so I could fish...   ;D
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

blakstr1

i'd probably stay over near Algonac, there are a couple nice campgorunds there on the river (well technically I think they are across the road from the St. Clair river) there are a few really nice launches up that way too.  of course that launches you in the river instead of the lake...
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

csfishslayer

Yeah That Is the only area that has any camp grounds on the lake you could launch at north channel . other then that you would have to go up by port huron
S.W.A.G. Jigs And Custom Paints.

fiker

If camping is what you want then Algonac is a good idea.

Depending on the time of year, say late July or August, you might want to be on the river and channels instead of the lake. 

Depends on what you're looking for.

If you've never tried deep jigging for smallies in 30 fow it can really be a blast.

This past year, with gas is what it is price wise, we found ourselves driving around the lake with the boat on a trailer.  We would launch at the DNR ramp in Algonac, and just fish the channels. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

dashaver63

Not to change the subject, but as far as deep jigging the river and channels, what do you do differently in the rivers and channels than you would do in 30' over a rock reef or ledge on Erie? Just curious, I have only fished the channels once, and that was shipwrecks in the middle channel about 6 years ago.

Skulley

Algonac has a nice camp ground.  I have camped there so that I could maximize my fishing time in the channels and the wife doesn't care how much I fish as long as she and the kids can camp and have something to do while I fish. 

St. Clair would be great however you should head up around Traverse City.  There are so many different lakes you can fish in that area alone.

Quote from: dashaver63 on December 23, 2007, 10:17:05 AM
Not to change the subject, but as far as deep jigging the river and channels, what do you do differently in the rivers and channels than you would do in 30' over a rock reef or ledge on Erie? Just curious, I have only fished the channels once, and that was shipwrecks in the middle channel about 6 years ago.

My answer to this question is you have to account for the 8 mph current in the river.  Keeping your line straight up and down while jigging the channel is a little more difficult than on Erie where all you have to do is deal with the wind which can be little or a lot.  Current in the river is always present.  The wind on Erie is not.  I find doing it on Erie is easier. 

BD            ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

motocross269

Doug it isn't a whole lot different...Just as UAW stated you have to account for the current...(And a little more boat traffic)
Most guys go to heavier weights and stay on the trolling motor more.
It kind of reminds me of vertical jigging for walleyes. 

fiker

That's the way that Wayne explained it to me.  "You're Walleye jigging for Bass".
I spent a day years ago in the Detroit River jigging for Walleye.  Unsuccessfully I might add.  Then a guy told me about keeping it vertical.  I do slightly better now.
When I asked Wayne about tubes and drop shots in the channels he told me that vertical to slightly down stream was good.  It positions the bait well for presentation to the fish, and it minimizes snags.  Or at least if you do snag, it's easier to get off.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Skulley

I always point into the current and stay on the trolling motor keeping contact with the bottom and my line straight.  Just like:
Quote from: fiker on February 10, 2008, 07:36:30 AM
"You're Walleye jigging for Bass".

I have actually done very well in the Livingston Channel and the Amherstburg Channel using this technique.  I have gotten my share of Smallies as well as filling the freezer with Walleye.  Now I'm getting hungary again.................

BD                  ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com