Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:00:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lower Crooked Lake with 1 hawg!

Started by djkimmel, May 21, 2016, 07:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

After busting on Union Lake I had to get back on the 'horse' quickly again so 2 days later I found myself on a lake that seems to treat me a lot better. Yep - Lower Crooked Lake again on May 5th for another spawn/prespawn bass bash!

To show I'm a rounded guy not with only bass fishing on my brain I stopped by the Red-tailed Hawk's nest tree to try to snap a quick picture of the big nest. The hawk was in a tree nearby but soared away before I could snap a picture of it too. It is a big, tall tree on a hill so don't expect too much from my phone camera please!

I guess I just like nature in general though some people would call me a consumptive user (even though I rarely eat a fish).

After the photo op I went on my way to some shallow lake largemouth bass fishing - some of my favorite!

Here's one I caught shortly after on a Bullet Craw cast along the shoreline looking for cruisers:

Then I missed one on the Deposit Spin Titanium Revolution Spinnerbait thought it slammed it hard enough to almost rip out of my hand! I tossed a follow up Kustom Kicker Jigs Depo$it Swim Jig in crappie with a black/blue Angling AI swimbait trailer and WHAM! Got another decent keeper bass from a hole near shore between shoreline brush and weeds and emerging pads and other weeds!

The next bass that slammed the DSTR spinnerbait (aka the studfinder) got it!

After that I was hitting some of the pad roots, floating bogs and holes in the bottom of the lake. I cut across the lake from a bog towards an old hole in the lake. I took a different angle than normal and can across one isolated pad root/bog combination way offshore. It was about the size of a small work desk. As I spotted it I saw a large bass shoot off the top of a cleaned spot on the roots.

I had no marker buoys with me so I added an icon on my handheld GPS for the spot knowing it would be hard to find again with nothing around it and being way offshore. I moved over to my little hole and some known pad roots and hit those for a few minutes.

But that big bass was calling to me! After getting no more bites I turned out from shore and started making my way back towards where I thought the bass had been I was off by a good 100 feet when I keyed in my GPS and traveled right to it then. Good thing I marked the spot. It will probably move in the future but it was good this day!!! Because I could just make it out on the partly cloudy, breezy day when I tossed the ole Bullet Craw to the spot.

I never felt the strike or saw the line jump but my primitive brain said "SET THE HOOK" so I did to a screaming drag and the feel of a snag. Then the 'snag' moved a ways to the side before half-jumping out of the water. I fought a beautiful hawg largemouth bass to boat and let it go after a quick picture!

I tried some other spots and missed a bite or two, caught some panfish but no more bass until on the way back to check my little row boat back in I tossed the Deposit Spin spinnerbait to a big laydown tree that has produced many a bass in the past. I was just coming down a main limb when part of the limb peeled off and ate the spinnerbait! WHAMMO! One final solid bass for the day! And Dan is happy again... The End.

For now anyway.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.