Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:35:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Had to take the Johnson in for service

Started by 1javelin, October 21, 2007, 09:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1javelin

Well, after some questions posted about problems I have been experiencing, finally took the ol' 200 in for service.  Getting pressure tested, spark output test, timing checked, new plugs, lower unit checked and probably re-sealed, a new thrust washer put in, and checking to make sure the hot foot wire is at full open throttle.  Sound about complete?  Probably going to run at least $450. :'( :'(  First got the boat last year and could put it over 70 on small water with 2 fishermen and gear easily, by the time Leelanau rolled around I couldn't get over 58.  Use to push 6300-6400 rpm, now pushing 5300.  Guess it was about time.  Learning all the time. 
What was the way you first learned how important basic upkeep is on your first boat? :-\'
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Bronze Back

What was the way you first learned how important basic upkeep is on your first boat?

1Javelin,

As a boat owner (or 1st time boat owner) you "must" ask questions
about your new toy and how it operates , what can go wrong , what to look/listen for before it breaks down,and what maintenance you can do to prevent these possible break downs.Some model boats/motors might have quirks about them and you should learn what these are so you can look/listen for possible problems (when your boat is running at it's best you as the boat owner knows your boat better than anyone else) and if your boat doesn't feel/sound right ask questions of other similar boat/motor owners,outboard mechanics,or dealerships to learn the ins and outs of your boat & motor.So to answer your question..........
I learned from asking questions and because of doing so i haven't had any major issues.

On a side note............i did tell a dealer that i thought there was a problem with my lower unit,i thought it might be off (rubbing on housing)they told me it was nothing.Well 2-3 years later had lower unit replaced because of a bent shaft that got progressivly worse over time and only found this out when i took it in to have impeller replaced at different dealer.Remember what i said before? You know your boat better than anyone else and if you think something is off
don't take no for an answer until you feel confident your concerns are answered and addressed.

1javelin

Got the verdict the other day >:( $5500 to replace the power head :'( :'( :'(  That is not going to happen, so.  Talked to a friend in Florida, said he will resleeve and replace rings, pistons if necessary for around $2500 :-\' :-\'  Still too much for now, so will jsut run it for now until it dies on me out in the middle of the lake, so if any of you happen to see a white Javelin with a smoking Johnson, or a guy jumping up and down waving like an idiot, it might be me needing a hand. 
  Well the Leakdown test failed, pressure test failed in 4 cylinders, and 1 of them wouldn't hold compression, only 2 good cylinders at 125 psi.  Lower unit prop seal was bad, replaced.  Spark plugs replaced.  Timing readjusted.  Fuel filter changed.  Looked pretty good he said except for the bad cylinders.  Run only the best gas in it, BP or Shell Premium only, w/ Sta-bil.  Only run Johnson Evinrude XD100 oil, full synthetic, top of the line.  Guess that's what happens sometimes when you can least deal with it.  Oh well.  Let you know how it progresses.

Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

djkimmel

Sorry to hear... so many of us have felt your pain.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

There are some pretty nice used outboards for sale on the bassboatcentral.com website.