Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:08:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Anyone still buying and using Garmin Fishfinders?

Started by djkimmel, January 04, 2016, 10:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Just wondered if any of you are still buying and using Garmin GPS Fishfinders?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Owenalexuk

Looking at getting either the New Garmin echomap 53dv or The new Lowrance Elite 5 ti. The Garmin looks nice especially with the charts it comes with.

djkimmel

Okay. Thanks for replying. I'm curious if anyone is still buying and using Garmin with all the popular advances in Lowrance and Humminbird.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

They are back in a big way with new big screen units and side scan.  There is some legal wrangling going on with the technology.  I remember reading this over the holidays.  Might be settled by now.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/News/Garmin-Violates-Navico-Patents/

djkimmel

Except no one is coming forward yet saying I still buy, or prefer, them... hmmm??

motocross269

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for but I want to buy one for my ORV this summer...... The mapping software that I run for off road is set up for Garmin... I use a handheld Garmin 650t on my dirt bike but it is a little hard to see... I am going to mount a bigger screen unit on the ATVs....
You can buy a bigger screen fish finder combo cheaper than some handhelds....I ran my Lowrance 5 HDI that I use for ice fishing this summer but didn't have the detailed software....

dartag

They have a Huge Pro Staff.  They must be good.

djkimmel

VinceR

Mike (Seibly) just put two new Garmins on his boat. One of the EchoMap 9" units with SideView, and an EchoMap 7". Nice units. He likes them a lot.

Get_the_net

I have 2 93sv units and they are much better in DI and Si than my buddy's hummingbirds that cost significantly more and were dealer installed.  I self installed mine and the only issue I have is trolling motor electrical interference thst I still have to figure out

Rangerman

Garmin is top drawer stuff, they got behind for a lot of years and put in all in Maps and Auto GPS and theirs is 2nd to none. The last few years that have been getting the Marine units up to snuff :) I have not checked there map card etc due to Naviconics for the other two don't work in them.

The Strong Point very Strong Point on Garmin is you can change the side of the Icon's like Navigation Aid. The Humminbird and Lowrance the aids are some small they can not be seen in a moving boat unless you know where they are supposed to be and a lot of time the disappear  depending on zoom setting. I would think it would be a easy software fix but the other have their head in the sand on Icons.  It's impossible to Navigate using the Channel and Nav marks at any kind of speed.  Garmins size increase is spot one and works great. Job well done.

Roy Randolph

Sorry for the delay I didn't see this till now

I still run two of the older models but am headed to Humminbird due to the new Minn Kota Ultrex and I-Pilot Link

I'm still considering keeping one of the garmins on the boat just because I like it much more

I still think Garmin is a better product especially when it comes to the GPS portion of the unit

First their standard charts are identical to the Coast Guard Charts with all the same data

They seem to understand navigation better and have things like buoys and markers displayed better
Plus they have a much larger selection of waypoint icons

They also have something called tides and marine service showing tide charts and the great thing is icons on the chart showing a lot -not all- but most of the marinas and ramps with information like if they have gas or if they closed during the winter of if they have a ramp and it includes their phone number

They also offer Sirius weather subscription on a wider array of models allowing you to see real time weather including wind speed and direction

Network cables don't require adapters

LAST BUT NOT LEAST

Is their waypoint management software or "Map Source" I think they call it GPSMAP now
This allows you to load all your charts, waypoints and routes on your PC so you can see the waypoints as they look on your unit rather just a list of way points with no reference to their location

It allows you to grab all the waypoints from one lake or location and create a new file just for this location within seconds, it has a distance and bearing tool letting you see how far a run you might have to make.

It lets you save multiple tracks or portions of a track so if you do good on a drift you don't have to create waypoints or routes just save that track and it stays on the chart for later use

It allows you to create waypoints right on the chart so if you see a hump or feature you want to go look at you can create a waypoint and name it in a way to remind you to check it out

I can't speak to lowrance I can only compare to humminbird and I must say Humminbird's software leaves a lot to be desired reminds me of working with an old DOS PC
Help a handicapped angler live his dream!