Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:18:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

How's braided line for drop-shotting?

Started by Erie660, August 06, 2007, 12:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erie660

I have been using Stren super braid and power-pro braided line with a florocarbon leader. Although I am catching smallmouth with this setup I do not see anyone talking about using a similar line setup. Can anyone explain the pros and cons of this combination. Thanks

fishon1219

I use Fireline as my main line when dropshotting and also attach a floro leader. I don't have any issues with this set up at all to complain about and I think by using the combonation of the 2 you eliminate the line twist you usually get when using straight floro.

If it works for you don't change a thing.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

Cheetam

Welcome to the forum Erie660...

I use this set-up (braid with a flouro leader) for most applications.  For me, the main pro with this setup is the increased sensitivity you get because of the low-stretch properties of braid (great when drop shotting in deep water).  One con is you risk pulling the hook out of the fishes mouth with braid because of the low-stretch.  For me, I just make sure my drag is dialed in and that I have a limber enough rod to prevent this from happening and I don't seem to have many problems. The other con to this setup is you have just created one more area between you and the fish that can fail (the knot joining the braid to the flouro).  
Jeff

motocross269

That is the basic setup I use for both dropshotting and finesse baits.  I use 10lb fireline crystal with 8lb xps flouro.  No issues so far this year. 

joshimoto son

Erie660

Welcome to the board.
You'll find a lot of good advice here.
I have never used the braid/flouro combination before, basically because I have not had an issue with my set-up, therefore I'm willing to leave it alone.

Just one more thing to think about, it's not a hard and fast rule or anything, just something I thought of.
But with the braid there is no stretch, therefore giving you the opportunity to get some slack in your line. We always hear about mono's and flouro's are a little better because of the stretch one gets when fighting a fish. Yes flouro does stretch, just not as much as mono (typically).

Something to keep in mind, and definitley, something not to mess with during tournament hours. As anyone would tell you here, if you've got confidence in it, use it!

joshimoto son ;D

Revtro

I moved this year to using Spiderwire Stealth with a floro or mono leader.  It took quite a bit of getting used to because I had to soften my hookset.  I was breaking the leader using the hard hookset I was used to.  Once I got used to that change, I really started to like this setup because line twist is no longer a problem and I can feel the bottom much better.  I can easily see myself sticking with this setup now that I'm used to it. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Dan

Seth Burrill has a 2 DVD drop shotting package for twenty bucks. It's fantastic. He goes over everything you need to know and has all the whys and wherefores covered. You can get it from his website at axfishing.com. In the DVD he says to use braid and a flouro leader. He says you should always use the braid for sensitivity and should never use a leader heavier than 8lb. He also has rod recommendations etc.  You really need to check out his video. Best fishing step by step DVD I have seen.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

fiker

I've used either power pro or fireline with a fluoro leader for years for my tube rod.  I started it because I have an inexpensive rod, and wanted to gain sensitivity. Now that I have a better rod, I've continued the practice.  I usually use 14# braid and 8 or 10# fluoro.

I experience great sensitivity with this set up.  Yesterday I was tubing Bass in 30 fow with a current and could feel the tube as it ticked along the bottom.  It was the difference in catching fish or not. 

I always make sure that the fluoro leader has less poundage than the braid.  That way if breaks offs are necessary I don't lose my braid.
I connncect the two lines with a black snap.   I have not tried snap swivels.  I always thought they would affect the tube's action. 
When I tie on the braid to the snap is use a drop of super clue on the knot. I also use super glue on fluoro knots. Joshimoto  ;D  told me that fluoro is prone to creating friction on itself more than other lines seem to and the knots can be a problem. 

By using this set up, I can keep several tubes pre-tied with their leaders in my tube box.  Changing weights and colors is easy and fast.  I don't waste precious fishing time retying. 

There are three drawbacks to this set up.  1) Sometimes when I'm not paying attention I crank the snap right up against the eye tip on my rod.
2) Sometimes the snap will pick up a small amount of weeds.
3) I always use about a 12" fluoro leader.  It takes a little getting used to when casting.

The advantages far out weight the drawbacks for me. 

Those of you who posted using fluoro/braid combos for drop shotting.  I'm curious as to how you connect the set up.  Two knots at the hook?
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Cheetam

Quote from: fiker50 on August 07, 2007, 07:56:33 AM
Those of you who posted using fluoro/braid combos for drop shotting.  I'm curious as to how you connect the set up.  Two knots at the hook?

I connect my braid to the flouro leader with a Stren knot.  My leaders are typically around 6 foot give or take a foot.  I use a standard palomar knot for the hook and a snap swivel for my weight.
Jeff

Revtro

I use a long tag end Palomar for the hook and tie on a pencil weight with a Trilene knot.  I use a double uni to connect the braid to the floro.  I usually start with around a 6ft leader too so that when it breaks I can retie without having to retie a whole new leader every time.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

joshimoto son

Even though I do not use the Flouro/braid combo... I still encorporate a very small barrel swivel (spro has some very small compact ones).
I use a 4' leader of the same pound test or sometimes smaller. On the very bottom I use a small snap swivel as well. That way when I'm stowing my DS rig, I can use my hook keeper and eliminate that tag line from flopping around.
This set up has greatly decreased the amount of line twist. In fact just as a test, last year I spooled up one spinning combo in May with some P-Line co-polymere 10 lb and I fished with it all year and did not change it until after a couple outings this year.
I even caught most of my fish on it During a Stren Series TX on Erie in September of last year. I made sure to hit it with some line dressing a few times.

I would not suggest to anyone that they should keep the same line on their rod for a whole year, but I wanted to test it, and it passed.

I could take it to Erie and drop shot it one weekend, all weekend, then fish a week night TX and throw a weightless senko on it with out any issues.

I was impressed.

joshimoto son ;D

Waterfoul

I guess I'm old fashioned.  I run Gamma 8 lb Florocarbon on my drop shot rod (which is a 6'6" St. Croix Premier ML fast action).  I guess I'm just used to dealing with the line twist... I catch a TON of fish on this rig so I guess I'm tolerant (did I just say that??).  Last weekend I landed a 5 pounder on this rig... my biggest drop shot fish to date.  Man was that fun on a light rig!!  With the light rod, light Floro line, and a keen feel I detect even the slightest bite. 

Now my worm rod, t-rigged rod, crankbait rod, spinnerbait rod, and senko rod are all spooled with either power pro or fireline... and then a 4-6' leader of 10 lb P-line floro leader (12 lb on the the spinner bait rod... pike ya know!).   I've really come to love braided line over the last two years... so much so that I actually don't have a single bass rod with mono on it anymore.  My steelhead rod has Gamma Co-polymer with floro leader, and my salmon rod has straight Co-polymer.  I just bought a new reel for my shakey head rod, and will be spooling it up with power pro/floro leader.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bassdisaster

I agree with waterfowl, to an extent, i used straight 8 lb vanish for 2 years in a calif club and we fished deep, those res'ies are awefull deep!  The problem was setting the hook, soo much line strech i could hardly jerk them, now i run Fireline in 8 lb and a 10-12ft 10lb Vanish leader tied with a double uni knot! 10-12ft leader you say? Well son its an old saltwater trick see, its called a shock leader! With the braid's that have no strech this little leader allows for over setting the hook without breaking the knot's or ripping the fishes face offf! after i broke my wrist i couldent set the hook!  but with this setup all it requires is a snap of the wrist! Not to mention the increase in sensitivity, esp with my Powell drop shot rod OMG its like being hooked to a telegraph! good luck!

Waterfoul

Well, after battling the line twist issues all summer with the floro line, I've switched over to 12 lb Powerpro main line and about a 6-8 foot 12 lb P-line leader.  Sensitive!!!  But, inlike Bassdister I don't like to have a leader long enough for the knot to get into the reel... I've found them to get stuck at the roller sometimes.

I also upped my biggest fish on the drop.... 5.61 lbs at the Hog Hunters tournament on Ryerson Lake.  Total bag was 22.09 lbs!!!  What a blast!

You should fish Little Whitefish with us Sunday Karl!!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!