Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:59:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Drop Shot Hooks

Started by 6 lb Smallmouth, December 12, 2015, 08:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6 lb Smallmouth

As I have been taking inventory lately I realized how low my supply of drop shot hooks has become.  Here around Chicago I lose so much gear.  I lose 3-4 times as many tubes and drop shots around here than I do up  north in Northern Michigan. 

Anyways, I need to resupply with some drop shot hooks and I am wondering what everyone has found to be the best drop shot hook.  I mostly use 3"-4" worms, dream shots, and 3" senkos.  How about for a 3" Fat Ika or the 2.8 Keitech swimbait?  As always, I appreciate the info. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

djkimmel

I haven't found one I like better than all the others. I keep buying various drop shot hooks and Octopus hooks along with some finesse J hooks to try, and can't really make up my mind which ones work better...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

21XDC

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

fiker

I use the Owner Mosquito hook quit a bit.  Usually in the 2/0 or 1/0 size.   
Sometimes for beavers and such I'll use a 2/0 ewg and text pose it weedless.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Manxfishing

I like the Gam 1/0 DS hook
For a better hook up you can bend it open just a touch more
And it's nice that they sell them in a 25 pack these days

Just remember there's no real std. size
Brand X's 1/0 could or could not be bigger then brand Y's

TimH

Quote from: Manxfishing on December 13, 2015, 07:05:42 PM
I like the Gam 1/0 DS hook
For a better hook up you can bend it open just a touch more
And it's nice that they sell them in a 25 pack these days

Just remember there's no real std. size
Brand X's 1/0 could or could not be bigger then brand Y's

I like the Gamakatsu 1/0 DS hook as well.  I've never opened them up a little more, but I will certainly try that tip out.  As others have said, I've tried a variety of hooks and can't say one works better than the other.  The only difference I have noticed is I seem to do a little better with the red hooks than the black/gray/gun metal (whatever color you want to call regular hooks).  My buddy and I were both fishing Nemesis Snipers in the Kent Lake Killer color with a 3/16 drop shot weight. He had a regular hook, I had a red hook.  At the end of the day I had caught five more than he did.  Not sure the red hook made the difference, but it was the only difference between our set ups.

djkimmel

I believe red makes them bite when they're aggressive but for some reason when it is off it is OFF! Like a switch. Red will get you a lot more bites at times but kill the bite at times so you have to experiment with and without it, and switch quick when it's apparent it is on or off. That's definitely been my experience with red lures and I mess around with red hooks quite a bit too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

I've been using the Owner Downshot hooks for years now.  I like it because it is THE sharpest hook I have ever used.  It's light wire hook so no big hook sets for sure.   I also like it because  you can texas rig a worm on it very easily.  I use the 1/0 and 2/0 sizes exclusively.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

6 lb Smallmouth

Thank you for the responses.  I echo what several of you have said about not really finding one I prefer over another which is why I started this thread in the first place.  I have always used a variety of Owner and Gammy DS hooks in both red and black. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

YpsiBass

I use the Owner spinshot hooks almost exclusively. I always ended up with too much line twist with traditional drop shot hooks.  No more line twist issues on my drop shot rig for a couple of years now.

capt charlie's charters

owner downshot hooks, love'm.  capt charlie