Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:25:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

December 13 Hot Ponds Bass Fishing Pictures

Started by djkimmel, December 14, 2015, 11:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

1st off I want to say thanks to all the boaters and leaders who made this December bass fishing trip in Michigan possible. I had a great day and everyone else seemed happy and glad they went! Special thanks to YpsiBass and 21XDC for organizing and leading the expedition.

Now for a few pictures. We could have taken more but the other fish were going nuts on minnows so it was very distracting to stop and take time for pictures!

We stopped on the way in to the Hot Pond canal out on the flat and on my 2nd cast into ~50 degree water with a chartreuse Karu Lures blade jig and Angling A.I. minnow trailer I got whacked by this big smallie! A definite bonus fish. I had one more hit out there before we headed in to the Hot Pond.

Just past the bridge in ~60 degree water I got popped by this nice solid largemouth that hit the hot lure dartag was kind enough to loan me - a Sexy Shad Series 5 crankbait!

We were catching a few largemouth bass along the way and a bunch of dinks on crankbaits and jerkbaits when we got distracted. We were distracted by the zillions of big white bass that were crushing minnows mixed in with half a zillion big gar. We would catch a largemouth and then whack a white bass.

Kyle drove up from Southern Indiana with his buddy D'Oge on point to take me out fishing. He's formerly from NJ and goes by 1lowdiesel on BBC. He had never gotten into big White Bass before so we took some time to do some schooling fishing! Here's a BIG white bass Kyle caught. D'Oge helped (all day)!

Here's another real fat white bass Kyle caught on a jerkbait. They were ripping the jerkbait!

I had to heat things up for myself so I busted out the Kustom Kicker Jigs Reaper Rig and started slow rolling it for bass and white bass. I didn't throw it a long time but I busted a few big fat white bass on it and one small largemouth bass before going to a Pop'R (which only attracted Bluegills oddly enough) and a couple crankbaits.

dartag, Jennifer, Scott in boat - another boat in our group as they motored by giving a brief fishing report. Everyone was catching some fish though things were a little slower than expected.

I am into selfies I guess and here's another nice largemouth I popped on that same borrowed Sexy Shad Series 5 crankbait later on the other side of the Hot Pond.

YpsiBass with 21XDC happy carp - we ran into the guys as they were blade baiting out deeper and whacking giant carp! YpsiBass finished with 3 meat-eating carp for 55 pounds!! He was smiling (and complaining about sore arms ;D )! 21XDC also whacked a huge 8 pound walleye on his homemade blade baits. And of course they were getting some sheepshead too.

YpsiBass 21XDC with 20 pound carp - his biggest blade bait carp of the day!

It was a really fun, good day with good running conditions and enough fish biting to keep everyone entertained. I landed maybe a dozen keepers and that many dinks, 3 smallies including 2 keepers with the one toad, a bunch of big white bass. Kyle caught a good number of bass, some big white bass and his first sheepshead ever. He says he's coming back to Michigan next spring after his first Pure Michigan fishing adventure was a success.

There were 5 boats in our group and everyone caught some fish. We finished the day with a nice dinner at a local restaurant near Bolles Harbor telling stories and talking about the next time (my favorite conversation)!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

We had an ok day.  Having been there twice during the week where we were the only boat in there you could tell the pressure had affected the fishing.  Also I noticed the water at the entrance was 58 degrees.  It has been 60-62 both times we were there.  There was very little shad activity at the entrance.  Could have been the east wind blowing the colder water in.  The other observation I had was the absence of Bald Eagles.  I did get some photos when we first got in there but I think the boat traffic moved them away.  You could see them on the outer areas of the ponds in the trees.   Got to admit there is a great variety of fish in there.  I caught a 3 pound Walleye and saw Mike had a huge one.  Probably my last trip until spring.  Good news is now you can go in legally in the spring and fish. 

djkimmel

Yes. I may have to hook up some of that action in the spring too!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bob o

did you guys see the wakeboarder, they only took a couple runs half way from the sand bar to the bridge. ???

Manxfishing

I missed the wakeboarder?
Just the boat or some idiot in the water

bob o

Quote from: Manxfishing on December 14, 2015, 02:08:54 PM
I missed the wakeboarder?
Just the boat or some idiot in the water
boarder in the water, they had a inboard wakeboard/ski boat with the big arch jamming the tunes and everything

Manxfishing

Wow,
I'm LMAO
You would think in mid Dec that you wouldn't have to worry about Jet ski's or wake boarders.

But it's nice to see that even they are enjoying the warm weather.

bob o

Quote from: Manxfishing on December 14, 2015, 02:25:46 PM
Wow,
I'm LMAO
You would think in mid Dec that you wouldn't have to worry about Jet ski's or wake boarders.
they tried to, just two short runs and a walk on the beach

But it's nice to see that even they are enjoying the warm weather.

dartag

That boat threw up some huge waves.  Made me feel like I was at home on my lake.  I think he got a nose full of water on his last crash.  They were right in front of us and he came up and said " I'm done" 

Got admit, you never know what you will see in there.

Manxfishing

Quote from: dartag on December 14, 2015, 03:10:10 PM
That boat threw up some huge waves.  Made me feel like I was at home on my lake.  I think he got a nose full of water on his last crash.  They were right in front of us and he came up and said " I'm done" 

Got admit, you never know what you will see in there.

The only thing missing in that pic would be Bigfoot BBQ'ing on the sandbar.

21XDC

I had a ball and really wish everyone could have made it to dinner. That's where I enjoy the common ground we all share.

Thanks Dan for the pics and post.
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

djkimmel

I'm glad we missed the wakeboard! Can't believe they would be doing that this time of year in there... but I guess I'm not surprised that much. They sound like they were not the worst ones to do that though. Ran into some real winners a couple times this year.

You're welcome on the post and pictures. I had fun bass fishing in December. I'm ready to do again! One of these days. Dinner was nice swapping stories too. Half made it anyway. Maybe more next time.

dartag

We had to leave early to get one of our fishermen home.  Planning on heading back early spring in between walleye trips to the Detroit River.

Firefighter Jeff

Really wish I had made the trip.  Couple things concerned me.  One was the amount of boats.  I had no clue how big or little the area there is to fish.  Guess I could have asked. Secondly I was Leary of hauling the boat nearly 3 hours with the threat of some wind on the lake.  Sounds like it wasn't a problem at all.  I did get out locally on Saturday. Me and a partner ended up with a dozen, all on blade baits.  Three of them around 17 inches including a couple smallies, the others, smaller.

YpsiBass

Quote from: Firefighter Jeff on December 15, 2015, 08:05:34 PM
  Really wish I had made the trip.  Couple things concerned me.  One was the amount of boats.  I had no clue how big or little the area there is to fish.  Guess I could have asked. Secondly I was Leary of hauling the boat nearly 3 hours with the threat of some wind on the lake.  Sounds like it wasn't a problem at all.  I did get out locally on Saturday. Me and a partner ended up with a dozen, all on blade baits.  Three of them around 17 inches including a couple smallies, the others, smaller.

I counted at least 14 boats out altogether and there was still plenty of room to fish without hitting another boat.  The wind factor is the biggest thing and it's hard to predict.  Three hours is a haul though.  Next time Jeff!

Firefighter Jeff

Yeah Rick  had no clue. Didn't realize it was big enough to fish at least 14 boats. You guys call it a pond for Pete's sake !!!  LOLOLOL  Keep me in mind.

YpsiBass

Maybe next year we set a weekday date in November and call it the MadWags Hot Pond Open :D

djkimmel

Yeah. Or December if we have another El Nino~ again!