Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:15:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

fowlmouth is DK Open Champion once again! Teams up with djkimmel for win-RESULTS

Started by djkimmel, September 30, 2007, 12:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

For the 2nd time in the last 3 DK Opens, fowlmouth is a champion again! This time fishing with me - djkimmel - in the 2007 Fall DK Open today (9/29/07) on Lake Ovid. fowlmouth becomes only the 2nd two-time winner next to Jason-MadWags (who we feared all day, but ended up not being able to put together his frog bite again)!!

djkimmel and fowlmouth with 4 'whopper bass' from the only tournament limit weighed. Durand Dan looks on from the right, 'official scorekeeper' MIBassKid is tallying the weights in the background

fowlmouth pulled out our last keeper with one minute to go in front of spectators less than 70 feet from the boat ramp AFTER having a freak break off on another keeper minutes later losing an expensive frog, and my missing two others during the same time. Our 5 bass went 9.86 pounds with a 3.37 kicker.

It was a beautiful day, weather-wise and the bass were biting pretty good albeit scattered in much heavier greener shallow weeds than we normally have this time of year. The challenge was the bass were biting 'shy.' fowlmouth had 9 solid bites on slopwater baits were the bass barely got the tails or missed completely!! Meanwhile, with my ease of boredom, I was changing up lures a lot and getting less strikes, but managed a keeper each on a Chatterbait, Texas-rigged lizard (my first keeper ever from under the bridge) and a Horny Toad. I also lost, missed or broke off several deep fish and finally caught my annual token Northern Pike while VinceR and MIBassKid witnessed.

fowlmouth finished out our limit when the bite actually slowed for us, but the bass were finally taking the baits into their mouths better. One keeper took his bait about 6 feet from the boat while he was dead-frogging it (okay, I was distracting him with some silly story or another).

We had a much better weigh in than last time at Ovid although many of the 16 competitors mentioned a slow or tough bite. No one was completely skunked though the other pre-tournament favorite - VinceR and MIBassKid decided to spare their one small last minute keeper the weigh in. The pressure may have been just too great for past DK Open Lake Ovid champ Jason-MadWags and local favorite VinceR when considering the lucrative payout and fabulous prizes available? Don't know, but maybe they'll pipe in?

Ovid still didn't show its true colors, but the green pea algae and abundance of shallow weeds seemed to have the bass in transition and feeling a little whimpy. Still a decent weigh in considering most of us are not Lake Ovid regulars knowing the nuances of the little complex lake. In fact, as I sit here writing, I can still smell the bass... (whoops! can't forget to give the wife's laundry basket a really good cleaning...)

Proving it wasn't completely necessary to be a local on Lake Ovid was 2nd place team cfruel and Fiker50 with 3 beautiful bass weighing 8.14 pounds - looked almost like triplets (sorry I caught your bridge bass, but I've been trying to erase that jinx for years!!).

Fiker50 and cfruel on cfruel's first visit to Lake Ovid collecting a purse of $30

Bender and Hooksetter cruised into 3rd place with 3 nice largemouths weighing 7.92 pounds including the big bass award of the 2007 Fall DK Open - a solid 3.87 pounder caught by Bender.

Bender received an official GLBass.com hooded sweatshirt and $30 for his 3.87 pound bass

Durand Dan and Ryan tried to meet the challenge with 3 bass for 5.08 pounds. The bite was different and most competitors reported things didn't really start happening until the last 1 to 2 hours of the event.

MadWags had a rough morning until mojo kicked in, convincing him there ARE NO SMALLMOUTHS IN LAKE OVID!! Once they buckled down and went after largemouth bass, they managed 2 for 4.48 pounds including the official 2nd big bass of 3.13 pounds. MadWags received a really nice Xtreme Bass Tackle/Combat Fishing packet of 5" X-worms and a O-Wacky tool for the feat.

Rounding out the field were yukonjack2 and past Ovid champ Jason-MadWags with 2 bass for 3.32 pounds, stackenem and traveling champ dashaver63 with 1 bass for 1.76 pounds and the only goose egg - VinceR and MIBassKid - a previously hot team, but I do trust MIBassKid when he says they had a keeper and decided not to weigh it in an admirable conservation gesture. So no skunks this time on Lake Ovid.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

2007 DK Open Fall - Lake Ovid
9/29/07 Stats

Boater/Nonboater

Place
Caught
/Alive
Total
Weight

Big Bass
djkimmel (Dan)/fowlmouth (Rob)   1   5/5  9.86  3.373
cfruel (Cy)/Fiker50 (Rick)   2   3/3  8.14  2.95
Bender (Chris)/Hooksetter (Willie)   3   3/3  7.92  3.871
Durand Dan (Dan)/Ryan (Ryan)   4   3/3  5.08  2.24
MadWags (David)/mojo (Mike)   5   2/2  4.48  3.132
yukonjack2 (Jack)/Jason-MadWags (Jason)   6   2/2  3.32  2.09
stackenem (Bill)/dashaver63 (Doug)   7   1/1  1.76   
VinceR (Vince)/MIBassKid (Luke)   8   :)/ :)  :)  :)

yukonjack2 takes the 2007 Fall DK Open 'Ranger Cup' award as the next highest finishing
Ranger Boats owner - winning a quality new Ranger cap!

1 DK Open Fall 2007 Official Big Bass - Bender
2 DK Open Fall 2007 Official 2nd Big Bass - MadWags
3 DK Open Fall 2007 Unofficial 2nd Big Bass - djkimmel (I wanted to spread the prizes out :) )

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Photos from the 2007 Fall DK Open
courtesy of 'official' DK Open photographer Fiker50

Durand Dan and Ryan bring up their bass first as 'weighmaster' djkimmel gets the tally (I would have chosen a slight different time to actually take the 'shot' but for what I'm paying Fiker50, I won't complain... much ;D)

Fall 2007 DK Open participants await the tally of the scores to see who gets the lucrative prizes and cash!!

(L to R - yukonjack2, mojo, MadWags, Jason-MadWags, stackenem and Hooksetter)

One top secret task I set upon my 'official' photographer Fiker50 was to 'capture' the much sought after mysterious secret preparation techniques of mojo... an admirable effort, but mojo was too good for us, avoiding full disclosure of his secret methods - here is the closest anyone has come so far to catching the secret!

Thanks to all of the GreatLakesBass.com members who attended the 2007 DK Open Fall tournament on Lake Ovid 9/29/07

(L to R Front: Bender (Chris), mojo (Mike), yukonjack2 (Jack), Ryan (Ryan), stackenem (Bill), MIBassKid (Luke), Hooksetter (Willie);
Back: Jason-MadWags (Jason), MadWags (David),  VinceR (Vince), cfruel (Cy), Durand Dan (Dan), Fiker50 (Rick), fowlmouth (Rob), dashaver63 (Doug)
               -click on the photo to view a larger copy-

djkimmel

djkimmel

Thanks so much to the sponsors and supporters of the 2007 Fall DK Open - who donated prizes or materials to help out with the event:

Ranger Boats
      Xtreme Bass Tackle
      slickFISH Lures
      GreatLakesBass.com
      stackenem
      ABA - Anthony Adams